“Good Value, Good Location” 4 of 5 stars

PB Surf Beachside Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4760 Mission Blvd, San Diego, CA 92109-2539   |
Ranked #95 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Kansas City, Missouri
“Good Value, Good Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

While I can't say that I received the great customer service some of the other reviewers received, I will say that the place was way better than I anticipated. Maybe I read some really old reviews and the place has since had a lot of updates.

Our room was spacious, had lots of storage space (dresser, 2 side tables, a desk and a reasonably big closet). There was a refrigerator, mircowave and coffee pot. (For you semi serious coffee drinkers, there is a Starbucks about 6 or 8 blocks down the street.) It was super clean. They bed was great. We had a king size, super comfy bed. (Also, I'm a single woman traveling with kids, safety was not a concern. I felt safe at the hotel and in the area.)

EXCELLENT BEACH LOCATION. I wish I could type that in bigger letters.

Down sides for me were few. I was given a handicap room, which would be an excellent room for a handicap person, but for me, it meant less surface space in the bathroom and a wet bathroom floor because of the roll in shower. I was really quite unhappy about that part (considering I was assigned this room because I extended my stay).

They were always short on towels (I started with exactly two in my room, but luckily I was located close to the laundry room so I was able to get clean ones every day (since I had to soak up the water from the roll in shower).

The WiFi is not free and was irregular. This one really caught me off guard because recenlty all of the places I have visited have free wifi.

There wasn't an onsite laundry room, but there was a great laundromat two blocks away (with free WiFi.) Actually, there are laundromats everywhere in the area (just like bars and tatoo parlors).

Parking is limited, so some nights you will be searching for a spot on the street.

If you are on the fence about choosing this affordable, near the beach location, no need to be. It is a great spot for the money.

Room Tip: if you don't need it, but happen to get a handicap room, you would be much happier if you ask to...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
jimsilver, General Manager at PB Surf Beachside Inn, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Sorry about the handicapped room. We are required to have a few of them for obvious reasons, and they are rarely utilized by someone who needs or requires one. However, the only real difference is the shower. The shower is much larger and is made for wheel chair access, where the others have a step over type of entry surrounded by glass rather than a curtain. If you request to not have one of those rooms, we would be more than happy to accommodate you. And, I can understand the water situation as well. I'm still not convinced the angle of the floor is sufficient to keep the water in the shower. As for the Internet, I am seriously working on making this complimentary. Thank you very much for staying with us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights at the begining of November. Despite the long the flight from Toronto its was great staying here in a place where its very clean and modern. From the moment we checked in the staff was amazing, as they were very kind and made the check in process a breeze. The staff were very attentive to our needs and we defientely will come here again the next time we visit San Diego.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
I'm glad we were able to make your experience with us a very nice one! Especially the part about travelling and being able to get checked into your room promptly! Thank you!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel through one of the Trip Advisor Partners approx $90 per night for one person off season, queen bed. Compared to your typical Beach Hotel in the area... Well... There is no comparison... Everything is updated, clean, sharp and modern. From the newly tarred parking lot with crisp white lines to the glass door showers with spotless grout and tile within. Half Engineered wood floors half carpet, nice French style wood blinds on all the windows which contain not a speck of dust... New doors, new fixtures, fine place.. overall well decorated, modern and fashionable but not over the top... Spartan in a sense but with some nice finishing a all around.

It was obvious the second I walked through the parking lot and into the Hotel Office that somebody cares about this place as a Hotel Property and a Business. This is not a luxury accommodation but neither is the price.

The cliff/beach overlook is just 100 yards down the road, so you're in the center of everything PB has to offer.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your very descriptive comments about our rooms! We do hope you will come back again very soon!
Wiltshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights at the end of a 2 week road trip around California and Arizona. The hotel was immaculate and a brilliant location a minute walk from the beach. The beach was superb and an amazing sunset by the pier. Would thoroughly recommend this hotel and we got a great rate through expedia. The buses were brilliant and the day pass for 7 dollars is well worth it to get downtown to gas lamp area etc. bus 8 takes you to Mission Beach and 30 to downtown...frequent and stops nearby.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Yes, the location is great for the beach and for the bus line. The bus stops only one block from the property and accesses almost any location you may want to venture to. Thank you for staying with us!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Fantastic little place! Location is a minute walking distance to the walkway along Mission Beach to the pier. Rooms are clean and very well presented. Bathroom is modern and I was delighted to see a shower screen and not a curtain! Staff were accommodating and friendly! The price fluctuates according to season.. My husband and I paid $168usd for a room with two queens as it was all they had available..a bit pricey for November in Mission Beach?

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for staying with us! As a return guest the next time, please just give us a call and let us know, that way it may be possible to get you an ever better rate! We hope to see you soon!
Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

We return here at least twice every year for the reasonably priced beachside location. Manager Jim Silver is very accommodating to special requests. Only one minute walk to ocean side trail and beach extending miles. Great for hikers, bikers, skaters. We will return!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much!! It is my job, and my pleasure to do whatever we can to help make your stay as pleasurable as possible!! See you soon!
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Nice place to stay. Was there for six nights with my partner as a short holiday. Very clean and modern. Girl on reception was pretty miserable and wifi is difficult if not impossible to get on but other than that no complaints.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

I'm sorry about the receptionist. I'm here at the office most of the time, and always try to correct unwanted and incorrect customer service. I hope you will return, and would really like to meet you the next time! Thank you very much for your comments.

Been to PB Surf Beachside Inn? Share your experiences!