“Had issues..but” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #76 of 269 hotels in San Diego
Sacramento, California
“Had issues..but”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My boyfriend and i stayed here for a couple days to enjoy the beach and go to the zoo. The first room we stayed in was a handicapped accessible we believe because it was so large and the shower was slanted to be rolled into and had many bars to hold onto. It was lovely the king bed was nice and comfy and the tv was huge. Unfortunately water began to leak into the closet where my boyfriend kept his backpack full of school books and laptop. The books were ruined but the laptop was fine. Needless to say he was furious that his 300 dollar books were destroyed. I kept him calm and brought the books to the front desk unfortunately the manager was not there but we were moved to a different room and filed a report. They took pictures of the books and we left them with them. we then went to breakfast just down the street still a little frustrated and unsure of what was going to happen. But at the end of our meal we received a call we returned and were happy to be told we would be compensated for his books. I know things like this happen and its unpredictable and although we had to order new books at the last minute it turned out ok. The real downside was we wasted a couple of hours dealing with the issue. I don't blame the hotel they actually handled it very well and i never felt cheated i felt very taken care of thank you. I would definitely return! The 2nd room we stayed in was smaller but very comfortable and still king bed. The beach is right down the street and was wonderful. The only complaint i would have was the small bathroom the door skimmed the toilet every time you open and close it i also hit my knee multiple times on it trying to leave the bathroom. For the price you cant beat it and i feel the staff although somewhat disorganized at times was fair and understanding. We will be back next summer!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
jimsilver, General Manager at PB Surf Beachside Inn, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
I'm glad we are able to take care of the replacement costs of your books. When Randy called me, I only had to know the subjects. After he informed me, I had no trouble agreeing to the reimbursement. If we make a mistake, we are always going to try to take responsibility for it.
I'm very happy that you would stay with us again, and we hope you will come back again soon!

197 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

received the best custom service from clerk Randy he was very informative and personable. the hotel was nice near the beach. the price was excellent will definitely stay again. my girlfriend always is very picky as far as the bathroom, she was more than pleased. we were able to go shopping which saved us money eating out every night.nice being so close to the ocean, since we are from NC it's nice seeing the pacific.

Room Tip: ask for Randy you can't miss him
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
jimsilver, General Manager at PB Surf Beachside Inn, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
I am glad to hear that the room, and especially, the bathroom passed the girlfriend inspection. Coincidentally, the head of housekeeping's pet peeve is the bathroom! And, I know that this is a great recommendation when it comes to cleanliness! Thank you very much for your review and for staying with us!!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Could not ask for a better deal, great room, great service and great staff!!! I would highly recommend to stay here if you want be by the beach in Pacific Beach!!!! This place is next to the beach and the night life.

• Stayed August 2013
Definitely a great location for the beach and the nightlife scene here in Pacific Beach. We hope to see you again soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Randy the concierge was an amazing host!!! The hotel is less than a block from the ocean. Very nice suites. Can't ask for anything more. For the price you can't beat it, comparable to a stay at a shabbier place and further from the shores of the Pacific. The rooms are more modern, flat screen televisions in the bedroom and living room, stand alone shower with tall glass doors and nice counter tops in little kitchenette and bathroom. Great atmosphere with an ocean breeze coming through the windows.

• Stayed August 2013
jimsilver, General Manager at PB Surf Beachside Inn, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
That breeze can be so nice most days. I think with the location so close to the ocean that I would rather hear the waves and feel the breeze rather than stay locked up with an a/c. Yes, the rooms are all new with all modern amenities that we think make us perhaps the best little place close to the beach in San Diego! Thank you very much for your excellent review!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

Was on short notice and needed a place to stay in pacific beach. Called a few places and stumbled on on surf. Randy the general manager hooked me up with an awesome room at a great rate. Would stay here again. Thanks for the help on my trip to pacific beach

• Stayed August 2013
I'm glad we are able to help you at the last second! I will inform Randy of your compliment! Thank you. And, I hope we will be able to help you again in the future!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here and everything was wonderful the rooms were beautiful, nice and clean, Randy had excellent customer service and helped us out a lot, I will definitely be visiting again and recommending this hotel to all my family and friends

• Stayed July 2013
jimsilver, General Manager at PB Surf Beachside Inn, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Thank you for letting your family and friends know about our new property! We really need all of the good exposure we can get! Thank you very much!
York, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We really liked this place. Was a little unsure at first as many of the review were first time reviews and this seemed a little fishy to me but the hotel lives up to it's billing.

Not sure if we paid more for a bigger room as we booked through laterooms but we had a corner room and it was huge and had a table with chairs plus a big bed, microwave and coffee maker. Close to the beach. Really close.

Was clean with new towels every day although it got a lower review as the coffee pods were not replenished everyday nor was the toilet paper.

I don't think you'd be disappointed if you book this place but do go for a bigger corner room if possible.

Room Tip: Book a corner room
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you! I do wish all of the rooms were corner rooms! Regarding the reviews, I do seriously encourage my guest service agents to ask our guests to please write a review if possible. Randy is very assertive, therefore receiving a lot of feedback, and Alpha is at the property almost every day as well. We are really pushing for reviews as we are a new property with almost no prior exposure. Thank you for your review!

Been to PB Surf Beachside Inn? Share your experiences!