“I was quite pleasantly surprised!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Prime Inn San Diego

Prime Inn San Diego
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Diego
Prime Inn San Diego
1722 Palm Avenue, San Diego, CA 92154 (Formerly Travelodge - San Diego South Bay)   |
Ranked #217 of 268 hotels in San Diego
Highland, California
“I was quite pleasantly surprised!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

To be honest, I wasn't expecting much for $80/night. When I opened the door to my room, an incredibly comfortable living arrangement was before me. Fairly comfy beds, modern table with two chairs, big-screen tv and remote, minifridge, microwave, coffee pot (with coffee/cups/cream/sugar/stir straw), blow dryer, conditioning shampoo, bar soaps, and of course the standard ice bucket (with lid) and water cups.
And it was CLEAN! I'm a real stickler about wiping everything down with sani-wipes and scouring the bathtub before I use it. I bring my own bedsheets and towels as well. But here I used what they provided; it was THAT clean. The sani-wipes were still stark white after wiping things down. My bare feet weren't black after walking on the carpet! I would have even used the swimming pool, but I didn't have a suit with me.
The housekeeper is a sweet little old Asian lady, and bless her heart because I'm terrible with accents and couldn't understand a word she said but she was so cheery!
Now the man whom I believe to be the manager or owner: he was so incredibly friendly and accommodating and genuinely interested in my well-being during my stay, it is very obvious by his nature that he is a father. Kudos, sir, this is by far too fine an establishment to be called a motel.
Basically, I was expecting your average cheap motel but this place is the cat's meow for sure!
I very highly reccommend Prime Inn San Diego.
Oh and it's quiet at night, too! No crackheads banging in the next room all night.
Great place!

• Stayed July 2013

8 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
El Paso, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

After a 12 hour drive we were looking forward to a clean smoke free room. Not so much. We were greeted by the front desk clerk. Very rude and hacking smoking stinking smelly disrespectful woman. Once we got paste the clerk we found our room to be dirty and completely permeated with smoke. We are not talking a small faint whiff of smoke. We are talking bar room. Not to mention we requested a down stairs room but to our joy we were put upstairs. After a few moments I called the lovely clerk who promptly informed me that smoke free rooms are not guaranteed even though that is what we reserved. She also said only the employees are given down stairs rooms and said we were more than welcome to leave. Evidently the hotel houses some sort of workers during the week. Another nice feature was the cigarette burn marks in the shower.

Also we were with a party of 30 traveling on bicycles from San Diego to Santa Monica. Most if not all of us had the same experience.

Do yourself a favor, avoid this hotel at all cost.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Sao Paulo, Brazil
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

It's not a hotel, but a motel. As any other one, if you want only sleep, is a good choice. Don't have to much to do near, only a Mall with Walmart, CVS and other helpful stores and restaurants. Cheap and near the mexican border.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Salem, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

The hallways remind me of the shining movie. It has what a basic hotel should have, even if it was not "top class" it was good for the trip for the days we as a group used it for. If you just need a get a way place and aren't looking for a "special high dollar" place this is it. So I would rate this as a good hotel but like others say, don't take your wife for an anniversary get a way hotel like this.. This hotel is for people who just need a place to stay and not planning on staying indoors all day.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

When we first got into our room - i was not too happy, the walls needed cleaning and furniture looked old, we where exhausted from a long day at Sea World so we wanted to lay down to sleep. Well that is when we saw..........................Bed Bugs.......or a bed bug crawling up the wall, when we looked at the mattress there where more. Not coming back here!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Las Cruces, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2006

My boyfriend and I stayed at this motel for the San Diego Comic Con. Overall, it was a positive experience. The rate was very reasonable, the room was nearly spotless, and the staff (front desk and housekeeping) were all very friendly and helpful. Even though it's not in the best of neighborhoods, the hotel itself and even it's parking lot felt very safe and secure. The other guests were good people, too (no weirdos).
My only complaint was that the "bear bites" breakfast (pastries and coffee) was less than stellar... but then again, it was free, so...
Also, it's about a mile away from the trolley stop, but it's an easy walk, and an even easier drive. There are plenty of places to eat nearby, as well as a couple of grocery stores. The beach is a short drive away, too.
If you're on a tight budget, and don't mind the wee commute to the trolley stop, I highly recommend this motel.

• Liked — Cheap and Friendly
  • Disliked — Distance from trolley stop
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring your own breakfast.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Prime Inn San Diego? Share your experiences!