“Actually...better than anticipated!” 4 of 5 stars

New York City, New York
“Actually...better than anticipated!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2009

---Location---
The hotel was easy to get to from the Airport using the Metro Bus 992 (~8-10 min ride). Though, the hotel does offer free shuttle to/from the airport. We only used the shuttle service when we headed back to the airport. If you want to use their shuttle, remember to give them 24-hour advance notice.

It was extremely convenient to have the Trolley right behind the hotel (fyi: it is the "County Center/Little Italy" station stop). We used it everyday. Especially coming home at night, it was a savior knowing that we just had to walk down the block and we were 'home'!

It isn't the Trolley that's loud, more like the Amtrak that passes by (I do believe) that makes the most sound when it blows it's horn upon passing. Honestly, with the tv and a/c on in the room and being exhausted, you really end up not caring for the noise. It really isn't a big deal. I mean, you do hear it but it's only temporary for a brief moment. At one point, it was so loud (horn) it startled me, but I gruntled a bit and that was it. It passed. No big deal.

---Room---
Since everyone mentioned about the noise since the railroad and Trolley is right behind, I did try to request for a room opposite of the railroad! I got a room on the inner side of the building on the top floor (6th floor).

I must say, what I loved most about the room was the nice soft/comfortable King-size bed and the comforter. I slept comfortably. So this makes up for the negative (i.e. noise) for me.

---Amenities---
What I didn't enjoy so much were the bath amenities. The towels were hard to the touch - really, they should consider using fabric softner! Though, luckily, the bath tissue was soft which was a good thing (Angel Soft brand).

The other bathroom amenities I didn't enjoy. Using the shampoo made my hair rough. Bar soap as well. The next day I went and bought my own trial size shampoo and bar soap as a consequence. Again, this is no big deal, minor sacrifice!

---Other---
It was great to wake up in the morning to complimentary breakfast. That fueled me well for the day. Free newspaper on the weekdays. Courteous and helpful front desk employees. To me, there are more pros than con staying here so I would definitely return again.

695 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

We stayed here for a week during a convention, and it worked out well for us. It's close enough to walk to the Convention Center, Gaslamp District, Seaport Village, ferries and cruise ship terminal. If you want, you can easily catch the Trolley, or perhaps catch a ride on the hotel coutesy van. The staff was polite and helpful, and we didn't ecxerence any problems. Of course, we were there for the conference and to enjoy the area during off hours, so the hotel wasn't where we spent much time. And as tired as I was by bedtime, I doubt the train noise would have mattered. Like the other reviewers pointed out, this hotel is adjacent to the railroad and the Little Italy trolley stop, so there is a certain amount of noise. We were on the opposite side of the hotel, so we didn't hear it much. We didn't use them, but there is an exercise room and a small pool on the 2nd level. I didn't see a hot tub. My advice: If you want plush accomodations and a quite night, go somewhere else. But, if you want a compromise between convenience, comfort and cost near downtown San Diego, then this is a good choice.

Columbia, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

Well, it seems that the local train system passes the hotel, so it is difficult to have any peace. It is noted that they are working with the city to fix the issue, but right now it's tremendously bad for business.

Wireless Internet is not capable, but they do have Internet accessibility.

The cable connection is of fair quality.

Overall, the room is cozy with nice staff...it is the anemities that are of poor service.

Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

Clean, comfortable, courteous and easy access. Hotel is convenient to downtown and on/off of I-5. Reviews warned about noise, but all downtown hotels will be noisy, so we went with our eyes (and ears) prepared.

Romania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2009

Considering our group was at this location for one night, the 'troubles' at this hotel weren't enough to ruin our trip (thankfully!).
Check in was quick, but very unprofessional. Being a front desk clerk myself, I know the level of courtesy a hotel employee should keep and I feel like this wasn't carried out here. The gentleman in the front was too personal with us and made a couple mistakes but didn't apologize for one. Thank God for the free cookies on the desk! :-)
With that said, the room itself was OK. Clean for the most part and we loved the bed, very comfortable. The blow drier in the bathroom didn't work though, made my girlfriend kind of upset since I had told her not to pack hers, thinking the hotel would have a working one.. grrr you Hampton Inn.
Another down side..... the pool.
After walking for HOURS prior to check in, we were looking forward to getting in the hot tub and relaxing a bit before heading out again, this unfortunately couldn't happen. For starters, the hotel doen'st have a hot tub and the pool was FILTHY. I Personally saw, from the 5th floor, an employee pick up a drink left by the side of the pool and toss the drink into the water. Needless to say, we didn't use the pool and there was no need to wonder why the pool was green.
We did however find out that we could use the spa at the Marriot right down the street, which ended up working out just fine (and we found a new place to stay next time).
At last, the noise. Those darn trains are cute & fun for about ten minutes.... after that, not so much. I recommend a couple pairs of earplug or several shots & margaritas to drown out the noise :)

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Salt Lake City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

The hotel is a 10 minute ride by their free shuttle from the airport. It is a short block and a half to the marina, and it is on the western edge of Little Italy. The Sicilian Festival was going full swing the weekend that I was there. Check-in in the modest lobby was quick and easy. The staff were consistently friendly and helpful during my four night stay. My room faced the 2nd floor courtyard/pool area. The hotel is adjacent the trolley and train tracks but my room was very quiet. Once, I thought that there was a train passing because of rumbling in the room, but I had all electronics off and was concentrating on a document. I had a comfortable king sized bed and small sitting area with love seat and coffee table. There was a desk and chair with sensible extra plugs for a computer and free internet. There was no safe for the computer in the room. The bathroom was ordinary and fine except that one of the two panels of the shower door was derailed and would not slide to open. Towels were good but not luxurious. There was an iron and board in the closet. The hotel was a 20 to 25 minute walk to the convention center putting it farther than some of the other hotels in its class like the Courtyard Marriott Downtown. However, it was $70 cheaper per night and came with a reasonable breakfast. Breakfast here is not even close to the ridiculously extensive breakfast at the Embassy Suites, but was reasonable with fruit, yogurt, pastries, toast, muffins, sausage and eggs as well as biscuits and gravy. Most of the hot things looked better than they tasted. There were many restaurants within just a few blocks of the hotel as well as a Rite-Aid one block East and one block South. I thought that the hotel was a great value for my conference.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2009

Drove down to Hampton Inn for my wedding anniversary. This is were my husband and I stayed for our honeymoon, as well. Because I had indicated in my online reservation that it was my anniversary, we were greeted with "Congratulations" and there was wine and chocolate in our room. Our parking was also comped during our stay. This is a really wonderful hotel. During our trip, we drove to the beach each day, went back to the hotel to rest and refresh, and then walked to Gaslamp for dinner. It was awesome!! This hotel is always our first choice when we visit our favorite city.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown? Share your experiences!