“Clean, Convenient and Courteous” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
2X Points Package!
Ranked #101 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Clemson, South Carolina
“Clean, Convenient and Courteous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

This hotel may not be right next to the Gaslamp quarter but you can certainly walk to that area in barely 20-25 minutes and, along the way if you take the Harbor Drive path, see a lot of interesting places. I did for all the 5 days of my last week's stay in this hotel when I walked to/from the SD Convention Center. And there is one even an advantage of this hotel's location: It is right next to the SD Little Italy region which has a lot of restaurants/bars which are much more affordable than the Gaslamp quarter's.

Still speaking of location: The Santa Fe train station is barely 0.3 miles from the hotel. So you can take the Coaster train ($12 for all day) or Amtrak to places.

Inside the hotel: Everything clean. Staff very friendly. Good WiFi signal in the room (mine was on 3rd floor). Reasonably priced items in vending machines. Elevators were quick to arrive. Pool was clean and they even provided towels on the pool chairs. Though I didn't need a car the parking garage on the lower level had adequate empty places.

Breakfast was included and was adequate with fresh made omelets, small yoplait yogert, milk, fresh cut up fruit, wonderful coffee with options for great tasty creamers.

Concerned about noise? Yes, the trains ran from early morning till late at night and they were noisy. The hotel provided earplugs! But I never used them because after a day I got used to the train sounds or was so tired from all the walking that simply fell sound asleep--every night!

Finally, about the location again: The location of this hotel is also great for the USS Midway tour, Harbor tours, and to take the kids to a park right across from the hotel where lots of kids were enjoying the water fountains in a supervised area. Oh, if you want cheaper foods, then there is a Jack in the Box a short walk.

Airport drop off/pickup: Both were fast and courteous. Please do tip the drivers.

I give this hotel 5 Stars and would love to go back and stay there again. Kudos to the staff for the great job they do every day.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear "Meengla", thank you for your business and for your review of the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown. We were glad to serve you during your recent stay. I am glad that you enjoyed the many aspects of our hotel and I hope that we have earned your return business. Thank you also for reporting to this great public your experience with the quietness factor of our hotel. Looking forward to seeing you again!

Miguel Rojas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Tucaon, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Looking for a bargain I expected a clean modest property. That is exactly what I got. What I also got was some of the best service I have ever received from each and every employee. I have stayed in a number of 4 and 5 star resorts and this service was as good. Great value. Complaints about train noise very exaggerated. Parking is tight especially if you have a big "mini" van.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear "Bob L", thank you for providing a balance to some of the reviews on this great site about the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown. I understand that each person's experience will be different and I appreciate that there is a balance and this site is here to provide both the good and the bad from different perspectives. Thank you kindly for providing the reinforcement that what the staff is doing here is appreciated, the service aspect. I hope to have earned your future consideration,

Lake Wylie, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

My son and I stayed here after his surf camp earlier in the week. The hotel is clean and accommodating. The room was a good size and the price was fair. However, it was VERY crowded over the holiday and the morning of the 4th the breakfast area was PACKED... Standing room only. My son and I actually ate at the computer area as there were no other available seats.
I guess this is too be expected on a holiday but it was a bit overwhelming. I thought the underground parking was nice but feel the $12/day parking fee was a bit much. The hotel is in a GREAT location. Within walking distance of several restaurants, San Diego Bay, Little Italy SD. Lots of activities right there outside the hotel and surrounding areas no driving necessary. Overall our stay was very nice.
The beds were very comfortable. Staff was very informative and knowledgeable about the area. They gave great directions and recommendations. When we had an issue with the AC a maintenance person was there within 30 minutes to fix it.

I would definitely return to this hotel. I was a bit disappointed that I was unable to use my AAA discount while we were there due to the holiday. I was not informed of that when I booked and asked about AAA discount. The prices are fair considering the location.

Room Tip: I continue to have problems with the hotel rating. When I select the category it automatically regi...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear "Katrina" thank you for your review about the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown when we are to capacity on a major holiday event. It helps our future visitors decide whether we are a good fit for them. It appears that for the most part you enjoyed our hotel and our services so I would like to invite you to keep us in mind for perhaps a different time period as San Diego is a great town to visit. Thank you again for everything!

Cohoes, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

This hotel was another great Hampton Inn. I truly prefer to stay here whenever I travel. The hotel staff was very helpful as we were new to the area. The shuttle service is such a great perk. Picked us up at the airport. We were brought the the zoo and picked up 6 hours later. We were also brought to Gaslamp Village. I am sure you have read about the train, quite frankly I sleep with the TV on so sure, it makes noise but it was nothing that we could not deal with for a few days. Everything is centrally located. Walking along the ocean, past the Midway, up to Seaport Villlage is treat (or the hotel shuttle will take you there also). The train behind the hotel also takes you where you want to go, Little Italy, Old Town. This is a great place to stay. Breakfast was very good, they had flavored water in the lobby mid-afternoon which was a treat in the heat, cookies and coffee tea. Rooms are always comfy and clean.

Room Tip: Ask about the train behind hotel. It is there. I did not find it as horrible as others.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear "jcasey60", your review of the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown is fantastic and if we can be just a portion as good as you say we are here we are very humbled. Thank you for staying with us and for your review, your time and effort are truly appreciated. We hope to be able to serve you in the same way for many years to come.

New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the Hampton Inn. Our check in went smoothly. We did get a spot in the garage but it was a tight one. Our room was clean and a good size. As for the trains, we knew about them from other reviews and did use the earplugs provided. The breakfast bar was well supplied with lots of choices in a comfortable setting. It was a bit of a walk to the gaslamp district but the bay was right across the street and we were very close to the Maritime Museum and restaurants.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear "babobear1", I am glad to see that you have found the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown very centrally located from many of the things that bring people to America's Finest City. I hope that we have done enough to earn your future business.

Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here over the July 4th holiday. Staff was awesome and extremely helpful. We arrived early in the afternoon intending have them hold our bags but instead they checked us into our room early. Chose this hotel because of proximity to the harbor and the firework. We were not disappointed. We were able to walk across the street to a park and enjoy the harbor spectacular. Did not need to rent a car as the hotel picked us up from the airport. Shuttle service was available to the zoo daily. The trolley, light rail, stop,was directly behind the hotel for easy access all around San Diego. We will definitely be staying at this Hampton Inn on our next visit.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear "Andrew S" thank for sharing with half the world about the great service you received at the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown, I greatly appreciate it. I am so happy that you found our hotel convenient and our staff helpful. I sincerely hope this means we will see you again in the near future.

Vallejo, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

The staff was very helpful. They have a shuttle to get you to the airport and back on your schedule, just let the desk know. The hotel is close to restaurants in a walkable part of town, I didn't see anything that concerned me about our safety, etc.. I read some people complained about the noise from the train, but this did not bother us at all.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear "John K", I am so glad that you decided to stay at the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown during your recent business in San Diego. Thank you kindly also for taking the time to write this great review. Seeing these words here makes me proud to work her and makes our staff shoot for doing even better. Hopefully we will continue to be your premier lodging provider when you are in this area.

Miguel Rojas

Been to Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown? Share your experiences!