“Just OK” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #106 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Rowlett, Texas
“Just OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

This hotel was just ok. Nothing to be awed about. Hidden entrance form the street. No street level signs. Was concerned about train noise other reviewers wrote about, but didn't experience it much. Breakfast buffet was Awful! Better to walk down the street to the Jack in the Box. Definitely not worth $200.00 per night. Best to stay outside of downtown and take train in.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear "Kjjsquared", I am sorry that your experience was not a pleasurable one. If you would like to further discuss any aspects of your stay, like what made the breakfast awful, with hotel management please call us at 619-233-8408.

Miguel Rojas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We visited San Deigo for around a week this past July and stayed at this hotel and couldn't have been happier about it. We flew into San Diego, and their airport shuttle arrived quickly after we got there to pick us up. We arrived in the morning, so our room wasn't ready yet, so the front desk held onto our luggage for us. Our room was extremely clean day after day and we were all really pleased with it. The breakfast was very good for a free hotel breakfast. The hotel also provided a shuttle to popular destinations nearby, such as the San Diego Zoo. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. This hotel is very close to public transportation, which was really helpful since we didn't have a car with us.

Room Tip: Try to avoid a room that faces the train tracks.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear "Jared S", I am glad to see that you enjoyed our hotel and thought the staff was helpful and friendly. thank you for the business and I hope we can serve you again soon! Sorry for the delay in responding.

Hilo, Hawaii, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

The hotel location and airport shuttle are ideal. I stayed there for five nights and I'm not sure if I'll stay there again, or recommend anyone else staying there. The night I checked in they had me in Room 203. There were ear plugs next to the bed and I could hear a homeless man outside of my window fighting with himself. So I called the front desk and she nicely put me in room 613. There were earplugs again, and as this was late at night, I quickly unpacked and just jumped in bed. I could not sleep the entire night because of the train noise. It was way too loud. Not only were the trains and metros loud but what made it worst was the DING DING DING DING of the railway crossing blockades. Then trains would blow their horns.

So the next morning, I talked to James at the Front Desk. He was VERY friendly and helpful. He recommended I move to yet another room, this one much quieter. I said but it's next to the ice machine and he said the ice machine was broken anyway. So I went back upstairs and moved all my clothes which was already on hangers. While this was a much quieter room, I could still hear the dang train, my neighbor's snoring and people getting soda or ice. I refused to move for a 4th time so I just let it go and covered my head with pillows and of course the earplugs they provided.

Breakfast every morning was a nice treat, and the shuttle to the Zoo was helpful as well. I just wished it left at 9 and returned at 5, so I could have two more hours at the Zoo.

I can't say how impressed I was with the Front Desk staff. James and the two girls up front were always friendly, welcomed me back every time they saw me and did everything they could to make my stay enjoyable. It's just that the walls must be made of paper and it's backyard is the train tracks.

Room Tip: Don't stay here if you're a light sleeper. You can hear the train even from their "quie...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear "pochoman20", I am really sorry that we were unable to provide you quiet accommodations during your stay, despite trying several times,. Where normally I would be able to ask for your consideration for the next time you are in the area by ensuring you a room in the front, you have been there and done that. Thank you however for taking the time to inform potential travelers to this area about our hotel so that they can make an informed decision. Also thank you for your business and for finding some positives to report.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a few days prior to a cruise on Sept 21 and 22. Great location to the airport, port, ferry and downtown core. All of the staff were extremelly friendly and went out of their way to help you. The main train/trolley line is right behind the hotel and you hear the warning bells but this does not really disturb you during the night. Having the train/trolley station so close makes it easy to get around the city.
They had a riddle in the lobbey every day, lemon water to drink and free internet/computers for use.
Pool was great to use as well.
Shuttle was free from the airport and to the port.
Great service all around

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear "kgwh5760", I am excited to hear from another happy traveler to our fine city, thanks in part to the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown. I hope that the next time you cruise out of San Diego, you will consider our hotel. Thank you so much for your business!

Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

While on a work trip to San Diego, I stayed at the Downtown Hampton Inn. I had arrived in the evening tired and blue due to some personal life experiences. Gary and I ended up visiting and he brought great joy and light into my day. Wheather or not he knows it, he made a difference in this travelors' journey and this Hampton Inn is a great place to stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear "Patty A", I am so glad that you enjoyed Gary's service while he drove the van. I have printed your review to share with him and he will be ecstatic to see his name in print. I hope we will see you again in the near future, thanks for the business!

Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Great hotel, really good breakfast, close to the water for long evening walks and Little Italy too. Very friendly and clean hotel, but you WILL have to wear earplugs if you can see the train tracks from your room. If you have something that plays white noise, it will also help. That, and turning up the TV until you go to sleep to drown out the clanging.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear "8009EMH", thank you very much for your business and for your review. I am glad that some aspect of your stay such as staff service and cleanliness, outweighed the noise issue. We always strive to compensate for this negative through our staff service. I hope that based on your experience this time with cleanliness and staff service you will consider us again!

Columbia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Very nice hotel in convenient location. Breakfast was great with many choices. Proximity to airport and being next to train tracks meant noise was inevitable but earplugs were provided and, surprisingly, they worked fine and were not uncomfortable. Reserving room with parking package saves $2 @ day and underground garage is super convenient to hotel. Nice place!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear "Jonathan M", thank you for your business and your review, I am glad that you took advantage of our parking package. I hope that next time you are in San Diego you will give us your consideration. Thank you!

Miguel Rojas

Been to Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown? Share your experiences!