“Lousy. ..” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #103 of 269 hotels in San Diego
Los Angeles, California
“Lousy. ..”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

After all my experience in hotels and living in San Diego, I would not recommend this hotel. I book in advance and asked for a nice room, then I got a burrito shop view, not bad if I order online, very easy to order from my windows.
Worst thing is so loud, not able to sleep at al. Advice think twice in stay here. Staff is nice but place is not good. I hope I helped, I guess im getting a burrito.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear "webtelles", first and foremost thank you for your business, I appreciate that you could have stayed elsewhere and decided to give us a try. I am really sorry that our hotel did not meet your expectations in part due to the environment in which our hotel is located. That taco shop has the best food, for being fast food, but I can see why it would be an annoyance Thank you for taking notice of the staff service, this, after all is the one area in which we have most control. We have some rooms with a really nice view, and should you decide to give another chance, please do not hesitate to contact me so I can have you stay in one of those.

692 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Palmdale, California, Usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I found the facility to meet or exceed all of our standards for cleanliness, comfort and convenience. Additionally, the noise level was not nearly the problem which I had been led to believe it would be.

The main reason for my comment is to discuss the outstanding level of service which we received. I have worked in the service industry, and I also consider myself to be an experienced observer of customer service levels. In these times, particularly, I see a degradation of customer service generally, in all types of businesses.

It is clear to me that hiring and training are the keys to providing a uniformly high level of service within an organization. It is a compliment to the management staff that we experienced a high level of service from each and every employee with whom we came into contact. We experienced a uniformly friendly and willing attitude during our stay, be it from the front desk, housekeeping, breakfast service, or maintenance.

I particularly wish to point out the helpfulness of Laurie, Joyce and James at the front desk, as well as Claudia, the young lady the next day, and the maintenance person who fixed our air conditioner so promptly and efficiently, all from housekeeping and all with smiles and further offers to provide anything we required to enhance our stay.

This hotel is a half-block from the Green Line trolley; the Santa Fe Amtrak station is one stop away,and four stops from the entrance to Petco Park. It is about three stops the other direction from Old Town, and a few stops further to Fashion Island. Continue on to Qualcomm Stadium. Who needs a car?

Room Tip: Avoid a room closest to the railroad and trolley tracks (east side) if you are a light sleeper or un...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear "Robert B", you don't know how much happiness seeing reviews such as yours. I can speak for the entire staff thane we aim to please and seeing your review only encourages us to do more and better. Thank you for your business and I trust that if you are in our area again we can count on you staying at the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown again?

Miguel Rojas

PS: I have shared this review with those persons you mention and they were really happy to see it.
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

After all my years of visiting SanDiego and staying at different Hiltons, I booked the Hampton inn and was surprised to find it so close and Convienient, Staff was welcoming and friendly, Free breakfast and Great Rate! Trolley to everywhere a few steps away! What more can you ask for?

Room Tip: There is early airport noise.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear "LVFire", I am humbled by your comment after staying at the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown. I thank you very much for your business and your kind words. I hope we will get a chance to serve you for many years to come.

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

The hotel was nice, centrally located, close to the harbor, walking distance to seaport village, 5 minutes from the airport and Little Italy. The shuttle bus is very accommodating and convenient. The staff is very friendly and always smiling. The rooms are spacious, comfortable and very clean. Security is good and never have any type of worries and concerns while staying here. I would recommend this place if you want to be in the hear of downtown in a safe area near many restaurants and shopping areas. I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear " Bodhisottva" , as a senior contributor on this great site your ratings mean a lot to me and the staff. I appreciate the high marks you gave us, especially the kudos on the staff. Thank you for staying at the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown, and it is my sincere hope that you will choose us again the next time you are in San Diego.

Amherstburg, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Shuttle came to airport quickly to pick me up after flight from Hawaii. Front desk clerk told me they had booked me in a room with a king bed but would two queens work better for me because the room was quieter - trains run behind hotel all night - had fantastic front view room with two windows one of which looked out at the Star of India tall mast ship!!! Shuttle also took me to the zoo and back to airport - great stay - ate at Anthony's on the dock one night and ordered food from Italian restaurant leaflet that was in the room and it was delicious but too much for one person and no frig in room to keep leftovers!!! Would stay here again for sure

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear "wandererroamer", I thank you for your wonderful review and for your business. thank you also for pointing out some of the great attractions that our convenient location has to offer. The staff of the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown strives to make every guest stay memorable and wonderful and it seems that we hit them mark this time. I hope that we have earned a customer for life!

lasalle, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Excellent location.We stayed for a post cruise night. We had no problems except Slightly noisy when trains go by, but they stop at midnight. Nice pool, we sat outside but didnt go in the water. Hot and cold breakfast was great. I'm sure some people would complain but it had lots of variety. The beds were comfy and you could ask for more pillows or blanket if you needed.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear "Sandra L", thank you for your review and your business, we really appreciate it. I see that you enjoyed your stay at the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown for the most part. Items such as our clean bed and hot breakfast seemed to have hit the spot.

I hope that the next time you stay, should you honor us with your return visit, we can do even better.

Melbourne, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Have stayed at this hotel many times as it is convenient to the airport (shuttle available) and to good restaurants. Concerned, friendly, efficient staff and hotel lobby very attractive. Clean rooms and bath rooms sparkle.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear " DonellM", I was a pleasure reading your comments on this great travel site after your stay at the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown. I see that you enjoyed our hotel so I hope this means we will see you again! Thanks for your business!

Miguel Rojas

Been to Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown? Share your experiences!