“Great place, noise didn't bother me” 4 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1531 Pacific Highway, San Diego, CA 92101   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #103 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Great place, noise didn't bother me”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I liked this place a lot. Very clean, almost like new throughout. I like that they remind guests that all sheets and all bed covers are washed daily. Nice spacious room, nice t.v., quiet between rooms. Very nice full breakfast served and included. There is a 7-11 about 4 minutes walk away, a Jack in the Box fast food 24 hours about 2 minutes away. A Rite Aid drugstore a few minutes away. The San Diego Trolley has a stop one minute away. The Amtrack station for San Diego is about a 10 minute walk away. Little Italy, with lots of good small restaurants is just a few minutes walk away. I thought it was a good value for the money.

There is train noise, I suspect from almost every room. The hotel has a "white noise" machine in every room, and gives free earplugs in the room, but there are a lot of trains going by, even quite a few in the middle of the night. It didn't bother me, but if you're really delicate, it's probably too noisy for you.

I would have liked a safe in the room, and a small refrigerator, but it's a great value. And no sign of any bed bugs. Parking in their lot is a reasonable $12 a day. There was a menu in the room for a restaurant that delivers food to the hotel, and it was reasonable, and excellent food.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear "pattayainsider" I am impressed by the number of reviews you have on this great site. It makes me feel great to be able to attain such a good review from such a seasoned traveler, thank you!

If your travels bring you here again, please consider staying here again!

Miguel Rojas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

Clean affordable and very clean and affordable. Walking distance to little italy, 5 min drive to historic gaslamp quarter. The rooms where very modern and clean and the buffet breakfast was a bonus included, you wont be disappointed.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear dinoToronto_Canäda", thank you or your review and your business. I hope you enjoyed San Diego and if you did, we hope to serve you again in the near future!

Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

This would be a great hotel, but the noise is a deal breaker. Even those who do well with white noise might struggle here since the train-like noise is periodic in the early morning hours.

Without the noise, the hotel is a great deal. Affordable rooms, airport shuttle, free breakfast, great staff, and a prime location make this an attractive lodging option. However, the core of a good lodging option is a good night of sleep.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear "HumJer", thanks for taking the time to post your review here for other travelers to see. While the Quiet Zone was recently implemented and has had a huge impact to most our guests, we still do get comments like this due to the crossing guards at both intersections near us. Unfortunately this was not part of the Quiet Zone, but they are studying this problem to see if there is a way to minimize the sound from the bells at the intersection. In the future, should this become less of an issue, we hope to be able to serve you again.

Thanks too for acknowledging some of the positives we have to offer!

Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Enough cannot be said for the quality of the folks that work there, namely, Mariela, Penny, Maria and Chuck. This is not limited to them, as there were many others, but these were the folks that I mainly had contact with. They surely made my stay at the hotel, one of the best EVER.
Kudos to management for the quality in which they decided to hire the staff. I cannot say enough or have the words to fully describe how great they were. Hotel was immaculate, and it made me feel like I was family. Great location in relationship to downtown, waterfront and various other places such as the zoo and Balboa Park. I have already reccommended the hotel to future guests. Thanks again for being there. Dan P.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear "Dan P" thank you very much for your kinds words, your time for reviewing the hotel, and your business. Mariela, Penny, Maria, and Chuck are thrilled to see their names in print, See you the next time you are in San Diego, hopefully!

Las Vegas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I recently stayed at the Hampton Inn and was happy with my stay. I arrived early at the airport and the shuttle arrived within 10 minutes of me calling the hotel. The shuttle driver was a very polite gentleman and we were at the hotel within 5 minutes. They had a room available so the early check-in was much appreciated. The room was spacious with a king size bed that was comfortable and my view was of the courtyard and train tracks. With the “quiet zone” now in effect I did not hear any loud train horns during the middle of the night however you will hear some noise from the trolley/train signal in the morning.
The complimentary breakfast was always good and coffee is available 24 hours a day. They also provide 2 computers for guest to use and free wifi. The location is great, just a quick walk to downtown and the harbor and the trolley station is directly behind the hotel. I would not hesitate to stay here again when I travel back to San Diego.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear "VegasHotel80", I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and in part due to the "Quiet Zone" implementation. We are hearing more and more that it does make a difference, Thank you for your comments regarding the service provided by the van driver.

I hope that we can serve your lodging needs next time that you are in our area!

Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

In my prior stay here the train whistles were very annoying, but I came back anyway because I liked the hotel. The train whistles are now gone, while you can still hear trains and crossing signals but they are no worse than any other city noises. The hotel is bright, cheerful and the rooms are clean and comfortable. Having a shuttle to and from the airport is a great convenience. The breakfast, while not gourmet, is far better than most hotels. The staff was very friendly and helpful, on the Friday that I was there one of the staff brought in home made chocolate chip cookies. The fitness room is small, but for a couple of days it is fine. There is free wi-fi in the rooms and a couple of computers in the lobby area. The location is a short walk to many places and Little Italy is two blocks away. A great place to stay.

Room Tip: A higher floor is always better and on the inside of the building.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear "redinked", thank you for your business and for taking the time to review the hotel. I am glad to see that your experience was better due to the implementation of the Quiet Zone back on 11/24/12. We have been hearing more and more how much of a difference this makes. The next step that I hope the City will pursue is to see about reducing the decibels and duration of the clanging warning bells at the intersections, but for now this is great.

I hope that we will see you again once you have a need to be in our area again!

Beechgrove, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We picked this Hampton Inn for its location about 1/4 mile from the cruise terminal as we were planing a cruise to Hawaii and wanted to stay in San Diego for 4 days post cruise, plus the fact that Hampton Inns are always high on our list of places to stay. Pick up from the airport was fast and efficient, as was the trip to the cruise terminal the next morning. So far, so good. Fast forward to the end of the cruise and when I called the hotel for the van pickup back to the hotel for our four days of visiting San Diego, they told me they don't do pickups at the cruise terminal. Since this was the first we heard of this policy, I was not a happy camper. After complaining to the manager, he agreed to pay for a taxi for the four of us. Understandably, taxi drivers were not interested in taking us this short distance, so we ended up dragging our luggage all the way to the hotel even though two of us have trouble walking due to arthritis. When I talked to the manager upon our arrival at the hotel and told him of our difficulty in getting a taxi, he offered to buy us a round of drinks while we were staying at the hotel for our trouble.

The hotel was, however, great. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. The hotel van took us to the zoo and picked us up, and the next day to Balboa Park as well. Breakfast was the usual Hampton breakfast with outstanding coffee. Every evening there was a big plate of chocolate chip cookies at the reception desk. Our housekeeper even made decorative pieces with the towels for a whimsical touch. The night manager, Dan, made some terrific recommendations for restaurants, reviewed elsewhere. The previous reviews complaining about the train noises are now out of date since they no longer blow their horns coming through the city. You can still hear the train but it is only dim background noise and not at all disturbing. Our first night, prior to the cruise was prior to the horn ban, so we could really tell the difference.

In summary, this Hampton Inn offers a great hotel experience and we will stay here next time we're in San Diego....just don't plan on having them pick you up after your cruise. (Please note, we did not observe the Kid's activities but I could not remove the rating itself, so ignore that topic)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear "TNBOY" thank you so much for your repeat business and for your review. Thank you too for your kind words about the hotel, despite the initial troubles. I want to reiterate for the rest of this great community that while we would like to be able to offer both pickup and drop of from and two the cruise terminal, we just would not be able to do a good job with the pickup due to congestion and this is why we do not try. I am glad that you again enjoyed your stay and I hope that we can see you again them next time you go cruising!

Miguel Rojas

Been to Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown? Share your experiences!