“Worthy of the drive...” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Dessert
Dallas, Texas
“Worthy of the drive...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Hands down, the BEST ice cream joint in San Diego. A five star rating is a rarity; you're met with thinking "is this person one of those that is 5-star crazy and gives it to everything? It can't be THAT good" While I, myself, feel that skepticism time and time again you will be sure that this is for real when I say that I drove 27 minutes to visit Lappert's on the rainy-est of days in San Diego.

I ordered the Guava Cheesecake ice cream with a shot of Dole Whip. Between the shivering whispers of "this is so good" I admired this lounge and their cleanliness. Also, the plethora of flavors really makes it special. From a White Russian tasting Kahlua ice cream to manila mango sorbet, the hawaiian based flavors are too good to pass up. And the dole whip, my goodness that dole whip is one of the best things I've ever tried. A sure fire punch of pineapple flavor and dairy free? it's feels too healthy to be true and yet you can't get enough of it.

I was able to purchase a cup of macadamia nut coffee before I left and it was a very smooth coffee as expected of hawaiian coffees. Also, when visiting Lappert's be sure to converse with the charming fellow behind the counter that can really give you great suggestions on what to try and perhaps soon enough, you will find yourself driving the distance just to drown yourself in dole whip.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Riverside, California
“Horrible Customer Serivce”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

I love Lapperts Ice Cream but this location lacked customer service!!! Waited for them to open at 11:30. Walked in the open door at 11:30 to be told to give them (male and female) 5 minutes for them to open. In the mean time the male and female were yelling at each other about Facebook…really you’re going to tell your customers to wait while your argue about looking at some other girls Facebook??? As we walked to the car to leave, you could still hear them yelling at each other. It was ridiculous! Leave your personal drama at home!

• Visited June 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Best ice cream in the world”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012 via mobile

I found out about this company from all of vacations over the years to Hawaii, when I found out they had a location in San Diego, I had to pay a visit when I was in San Diego on vacation. The location is the only Lappert's store not in a tourist market, so it is about a 20 minute drive from down town San Diego or the coastal area of San Diego. This store is one of the largest Lappert's I have visited, and also contained the best and largest selection of favors. The decor is modern and really posh compared to most of there other stores. The service and product awarded the store top 10 ice cream store by USA Today. All of your favorite Lappert's flavors can be found as usual, also there coffee line, And Dole Whip! I never knew you could get the whip outside of Hawaii and Disneyland. Call ahead though to see if your favorite flavor is available, because they rotate flavors everyday and the store gets extremely busy and sells out.

San Diego, California
“Lappert's in December? Mais oui!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

I was on a mission to find holiday decorations for the office. It was unseasonably cool for San Diego, despite it being December (upper 50s to low 60s). The sun was setting and I had come up empty-handed decorations-wise. The trip was not for nought, however, as my journey took me on a pleasant, late afternoon roundabout via Espola Drive to Scripps Ranch Parkway, where I knew an ice cream/coffee lounge existed. The general area is a strange mix of business parks clustered with a few large chain stores and gas stations; not exactly where you'd expect to find a good scoop. But finding Lappert's was like running into a best-kept secret. I had never heard of it and it sat between a Mexican and a Thai restaurant near a gas station. Turns out Lappert's began in Hawaii and features several "super premium" ice creams with coconut, macadamia nut, mango, and other tropical flavors. Super-premium means it's got a higher butter fat content with less air whipped into the process, which makes for a creamier, thicker, richer texture and flavor, the guy behind the counter told me. "Been written up in USA Today," he said, ticking off a few numbers. The process actually hails from France. I chose a small cup, which was more than enough when you're on the go, and picked "Cookie for Santa," a decadent peppermint ice cream with mint cookies and chocolate fudge swirled in. The colors are pink and white (not mint green), befitting the season. The taste was crisp and very minty, very authentic, with no aftertaste you sometimes get with other peppermint or mint ice creams. There are more standard flavors (chocolate peanut butter cup, strawberry, vanilla bean, even a few sorbet choices), but next time I'd go for the Kauai Pie, which is kona coffee, macadamia nut, toasted coconut, and chocolate fudge. Speaking of coffee, I was disappointed to see that they did not have any coffee that day. Apparently a function down the street neccessitated using the coffee makers, so no coffee was brewed in the store that day, though you can pick up bags of fresh coffee, ground or bean. As far as I could tell, there were no espresso drinks or coffee/ice cream drinks on the menu, but there were several menu items involving Dole pineapple. Piqued my interest, but not something I'd try until a third or fourth visit, after a few more ice cream tastings. The shop is small and did not have as much of a "lounge" or coffeehouse feel I expected. The lighting was a bit dim and there was a modern water/art sculpture at the store's entrance, which I thought was out of place, perhaps better suited for a restaurant than an ice cream shop. Lappert's definitely has a gourmet streak to its product, so maybe this design flourish fits right in. The price was reasonable. Though a small cup is $2.65, the ice cream is so dense that you fill up quickly. Spend a few more dollars and you have enough to last a few days, for two people, unless you're an ice cream addict, in which case you'll empty your cup in minutes. Size dictates the number of flavors you can choose, up to four our five flavors. Free samples are offered. I would have liked to have more flexibility in choosing flavors in smaller amounts. Overall a great place, if a bit out of the way, to pick up a quick treat while running errands, unless you don't mind hopping in the car for a somehwat longish drive. Beware of showing up between meals...the guy behind the counter will ask you what your plans for dinner are. Pretty hilarious. Customers' answers ranged from "having a late dinner" to "I had a late lunch." No one's willing to say, "Um, I'm having ice cream for my dinner." But if you do want ice cream for dinner, this is the place, bien sur.

• Visited December 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
vista, ca
“I believe we've found Santa Claus' "summer job"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

Everyone knows the man up north summers in Hawaii, where he apparently got bored & used some of his magic to make the world's most amazing ice cream. That's the only way to explain how delicious Lappert's is, words truly can't even begin to explain how good. Amazing, very unique flavors inspired by the islands with lots of Macadamia Nuts, Coconut, Kona Coffee and so many others (don't worry, they have "normal" flavors, too).

Need more proof? They have Dole Whip. You read that right, Dole Whip. What's that you say, you don't know about Dole Whip? Well, it's another slice of pineappley heaven that can otherwise only be found at Disneyland. Who else but Santa could get Disneyland to give up the goods?
(The "inside scoop" is to get a scoop of coconut ice cream with Dole Whip on top).

Another tidbit of proof is the staff, there's only one guy we've ever seen working there! We're pretty sure he's an elf like WIll Ferrell in Elf, serving up the daily food group of ice cream to anyone who happens to walk in.

The only odd thing about this place is it's location. In a random strip mall, next to a couple dentists in Poway? Pretty strange... But if you think about it, the location makes sense. I mean, if Santa had an ice cream store near San Diego, wouldn't he put it off the beaten path? And wouldn't Santa do something like put an ice cream shop right next to a dentist or two?

All in all, we would HIGHLY RECOMMEND going here for, well, any reason at all. Driving home in traffic? Sounds like a good reason to pop off the freeway & get Lappert's. Coming home from the airport? Bad day? Good day? Tax day? Tuesday? They all sound like good reasons to go to Lappert's in my book. If it wasn't way, way, way past their closing time, we'd be in the car, on the way to get some right now!

• Visited August 2011