“Nice Spot” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 269 hotels in San Diego
Toronto
“Nice Spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed here on business for a few nights - close to client location.

Its not near the action of the waterfront - but if you need a spot and don't mind the travel to and from - its good. The lobby was recently renovated and it has a nice courtyard eating area by the pool.

Room Tip: Its in a business park so its fairly quiet. Ask for a room not facing the highway if noise is an is...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
JuergenOswald_11, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Central, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad that we provided a convenient location for a productive business trip. Our courtyard is certainly a great spot to enjoy a bite or beverage.

Please see us again.

320 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I checked in at midnight, exhausted after working 60 hours (and 4 flights) already this week, hoping to get 6 hours of sleep before another 10+ hour day. That was not to be.

This hotel has significant issues, including knowingly risking the safety of their guests.

HUGE PROBLEM: 1) The sink spit out brown disgusting water - clearly not safe to drink. Thank goodness I had a bottle of water with me.

Medium Problem: 2) Spiders in the bathroom. Being from Georgia, it sure looked like a Brown Recluse Spider (deadly) to me, but I was hoping they are not in California. Nevertheless, as a hotel guest I should not have to be conversant with the lethality of the various types of spiders.

Small problems: 3) Can't open the shade, the bar on the curtains broke, so I left it in the middle of the floor - pretty obvious to housekeeping; 4) Alarm clock not properly set, so I lost 1/2 hour of sleep which was very precious that particular night.

The next morning I stopped at the front desk and told them about the 4 problems. I was astonished when they told me THEY KNEW ABOUT THE WATER PROBLEM, BUT DID NOT TELL GUESTS.

That evening (after a 10+ hour day) I stopped by the front desk to check on the 4 problems. They had NO knowledge of any problems having been reported. In going to my room - nothing was fixed.

I then asked to have the GM call my cell phone and was told NO three times. I even said - "For the Third Time....." and the desk clerk would not even take my cell number. This hotel has serious problems and has not trained employees on the most simple of customer service basics - listen to the customer.

When Conrad Hilton was asked 'How many people do you need to run a hotel?' His answer was simple 'Only one, a General Manager.'

PS - Once they discovered I was concerned about something (they still did not know what) they tried to contact me - Too little, too late. At that point I just wanted to end my trip safely, and bought more bottled water.

Room Tip: This is unsafe, do not stay here.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
JuergenOswald_11, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Central, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
The issues, lack of response, and poor attitude is totally uncalled for. I cannot apologize enough and I am very sorry that we let you down. There is absolutely no excuse and I thank you for sharing your experience. Please allow me to provide some specific feed-back to certain issues:

- We did not have good communication in regards to a water line repair. Upon turning the water back on, there was some discoloration that sometimes happens after a shut off. While certainly not pleasing to the eye or taste, there is no health concern.
- Despite rumors to the contrary, the Brown Recluse Spider has not established itself outside of its native habitat. The furthest west this spider can be found is Texas. Regardless, we obviously must do a better job ensuring that our rooms are insect free.

Please contact me at juergeno@cy-kearnymesa.com or 858-633-9001 so I can further assist.

Morristown, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

My sister and I stayed at the Courtyard for 4 days and 3 nights from Aug. 22 to Aug. 25. We had the double room with a balcony facing the pool. It was nice to have a balcony to sit and undwind and the view of the pool was great. Our room was clean and spacious and the maids had them made up promptly. The breakfast buffet was also a nice touch there was plenty to choose from and it was nice to just go downstairs and eat a quick bite before heading out for the day. We were there for a wedding so it was nice to be centrally located to every wedding event and downtown San Diego. Everything was only 15 minutes away, we rented a car for the weekend to get us around and the free parking at the hotel was a big bonus. Some other hotels can charge a lot of money to park so this was a great savings. My sister and I also enjoyed taking a dip in the pool and then jacuzzi. I would definately stay here again and recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
JuergenOswald_11, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Central, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Sounds like a fun trip. You are absolutely correct about those pool view balconies - so relaxing. Many hotels in San Diego charge $20 to $30+ for parking nowadays, so the savings at our hotel really add up quickly.

Thank you for staying with us and see you next time.

Franklin, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

On behalf of Drake Software I would like to thank each and every employee! You made our stay amazing. We had booked the conference room for the week of August 19th. When we arrived the room was ready to go, clean, and we had a very professional staff welcome us.

i have to note that I personally have over 10 years experience in hospitality management and development, so I understand each person on staff at this hotel have worked very hard to make the guest happy. One of the first items on my agenda when checking into a room at any hotel is to check for cleanliness. i was unable to find any dust in my room, the linens were clean, and bedding very comfortable.

Another major test to a hotel is how happy our clients are during training. Our clients were very comfortable and extremely impressed with the level of service we received during our training. Also the food was Delicious.

Finally after a very long week....bare in mind my associates and myself were adjusting to a 3 hour time zone change all week. I stopped by the bar for a night cap on the last night of our stay I was greeted by a very polite bartender named Don. When I asked if he made a good bloody merry he said, "Only the best!" Then he shared his mix recipe with me. Well it definitely was one of the best bloody merrys I've ever had and a suitable touch to end our amazing stay. When we return to CA next summer we will defiantly be staying at your fine establishment!

Thank you Again!
Trent Fouts
Education Specialist
Drake Software

www.linkedin.com/pub/trent-fouts/41/471/400/

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
It is very gratifying that we did a great job accommodating your training and taking good care of the many guests staying overnight. You had a very nice group of people, so this certainly makes it extra special.

Impressing somebody with your background adds an extra level of pride. Thank you for the opportunity to be of service and until next year.

Thousand Oaks, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

My family and I stayed at this hotel impromptu for the Fourth of July this year. We had a great stay and loved it so much we decided to come back again for our trip to Seaworld. Being a Marriott rewards member I always try to stay at a Marriott, however our last few stays in other area Marriotts were disappointing to put it kindly. This Marriott is centrally located and has plenty of FREE parking. Check-in is quick and easy, and we got a great AAA rate last minute on our room. The rooms themselves are wonderful, and the beds are SO comfortable which is a big deal to me. We had no problems with the wifi or the TV - they even included a TV Guide in our room magazine. Our kids loved sitting on the balcony looking over the BEAUTIFUL huge pool. We have an infant and had no issues getting a pack n play for her to sleep in, however it is old and torn and could be replaced with something newer/nicer. We love the convenience of the downstairs bar and Starbucks for drinks and snacks. Our room had a great minifridge for drink and food storage, although no microwave. During our July stay we had both dinner and breakfast here and found both to be fine, though I wish breakfast was included in our stay. Our room is quiet and there is no noise from the pool or freeway. There is also a Target right across the freeway for any forgotten items you may need!
Overall after two stays here I have to say that everytime we stay in San Diego we will be staying at this Marriott. I can count on convenient location, free parking, great rooms, comfortable beds!, a great pool, happy and helpful staff as well as food and beverage service available. This is the best family friendly hotel for your dollar in San Diego!

• Stayed August 2013
JuergenOswald_11, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Central, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
I am glad that we reinvigorated your faith in Marriott. Your enthusiasm in regards to the experiences at our hotel can be felt thru your words. Many thanks for painting such a lively picture for your fellow travelers. We will definitely inventory our cribs to ensure that they are up to snuff. I am sorry that we did not catch this before you did.

Can't wait to welcome you back.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I could write so much about this place. I spend over 200 days a year in hotels. The staff at this hotel are awesome. But this post is about one person. The unsung heros. The people who turn our messy rooms we leave in the morning into spotless blessings when we return in the evening. One person, the housekeeping lady Rosa. She actually made me stop to just bask in the glory of how beautiful things looked. I was once told there was a level of OCD above OCD and that is CDO because you have to spell it alphabetically... That is how I am and I always have to move things back to where I want them when I get in.... Not when Rosa cleans my room. To that, I tip my big leather hat to you. You are awesome!

Room Tip: I get a spa room since at the end of the day I need to soak out the tension.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
JuergenOswald_11, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Central, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Thank you for being so thoughtful. You are absolutely correct that our housekeeping team consists of many unsung heros. Rosa joined us not too long ago, but we could not be happier. I am very proud that her attention to detail was noticed.

It is great to have you as one of our regular guests.

Littleton, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

This will be fast and simple. The check-in was cold and uninviting. I was not acknowledge as being a Marriott Member. WiFi was terrible. $15 for breakfast. Understaffed, dinner service was very slow. Noisy, I was on the north side of the property. As a back-up, I asked for a 5:00 am wake up call and I never received it. The pool was nice. I will look at other Hotels in the area when I return in a few weeks.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your observations. I apologize that we let you down across the board. It is very disappointing that we did not come thru for you.

Please let me know if I can be of any personal assistance now or in the future.

Jürgen Oswald

Been to Courtyard San Diego Central? Share your experiences!