“It's obvious these folks care about service” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #35 of 270 hotels in San Diego
San Antonio, Texas
“It's obvious these folks care about service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I'ts nice to come to a place where folks obviously care. Unfortunately I get that less and less these days but every time I visit this hotel the staff is friendly and caring. An example of this during my last trip... I mentioned that I forgot all of my chargers for my phone and the front desk attendant went in back to look. He came back out with an iPhone charger and said, "Here you go... we didn't have any but you can use mine, just leave it with the front desk in the morning." How easy would it have been to say "sorry sir" but Andy took the extra step, which I greatly appraciate. The restaurant/bar staff is also consistently excellent as previous posts also mention. Overall, a wonderful experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
JuergenOswald_11, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Central, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
It's the simple things that really matter, right? What a great story and I am very pleased that Handy wrote the chapter by his own doing.

Thank you so much for recognizing him as well as our Food & Beverage team. Can't ask for a better quality crew.

See you next time.

307 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Thousand Oaks, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

The staff was very friendly, the room was large and clean. The bed was super comfortable. Would definitely stay there the next time we are in town. Convenient location...close to everything we want to do.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
It's always great to hear from a Senior Contributor. I am very proud that we impressed a tough critic like yourself.

Thank you very much for staying with us and certainly look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in town.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I have been "living" at the Marriot Courtyard San Diego Central since Dec. 2012. It is the staff that makes my hotel room a "home", every Sunday-Thursday . There is nothing more cheerful after a long day of work than to be greeted by name and a smile from friendly folks like Latoya, Brandon, Deborah, Patty and Don (to name a few). The staff is what makes this particular Marriot my home of choice while in San Diego. They all are friendly, attentive, efficient and really go out of their way to make me feel welcomed. The pool area is wonderful, great location and the rooms are adequate and clean. I have spent 75 nights as of this Tuesday in this Marriott since Jan 1...The staff is the reason why I keep coming back. Keep it up guys, your warmth and friendliness is appreciated by us weary and frequent travelers.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms...there the best!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
JuergenOswald_11, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Central, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Thank you for recognizing our All-Stars and for being so loyal to our hotel. I am pleased that our team is making all the difference. They certainly rank very highly on the list of most important reasons to stay at our hotel.

I am very proud that their hospitality makes such a positive impact on your busy life away from home.

ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed here for a soccer tournament, I am Marriott Gold. They gave me a nice upgrade, no other amenities discussed. We ate with the team for breakfast.

The pool area was very nice, spacious and lots of seating and fire pits.

Again - the staff were professional and prompt in taking care of anything.

The rooms are nice, ours had a long counter, microwave and fridge, two rooms - one with queen and sofabed and one with sofabed (the living room).

Drawbacks: We weren't very close to the elevator / ice machine but I could still hear it at night. They had a laundry but only one working washer while we were there.

Room Tip: The corner rooms as they call them wrap around the L shaped corner, so they are larger but they have...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
JuergenOswald_11, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Central, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
I am pleased that you enjoyed our hospitality. We always try to take extra great care of our Marriott Rewards VIP members and an upgrade to a suite like in your case is always much appreciated.

My apologies about the limited washer availability while we are waiting for replacement parts.

Our hotel is a great fit for sports tournaments as we have attractive amenities and a team that is very well versed in understanding the unique needs of large groups.

Hope you had some great matches and looking forward to welcoming you back whenever your travels take you to San Diego.

Avondale, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We chose this hotel due to its proximity to the Sharp Mary Birch Hospital. The hotel provides a free shuttle service (of course, we tipped!) within a 3 mile radius of the hotel. This was the main reason for our choice. We were just in town to be present for the birth of our friends’ baby, and had nowhere else to be. If we planned to wonder, we would have needed a car. But, this hotel was located perfectly, and within walking distance of The Butcher Shop, an incredible steak place.
The hotel staff from check-in to breakfast to maid service was very friendly and responsive. Given the opportunity, we would gladly stay there again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
JuergenOswald_11, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Central, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
I hope all is well with the newcomer. I am glad that our courtesy shuttle made the difference in choosing our hotel and thank you very much for taking care of our driver.

We are fortunate to have the Butcher Shop as our neighbor; it's definitely an old school steak house.

Would be great welcoming you back on your next trip.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I work in a building close to the Courtyard San Diego. Myself and colleagues often have lunch there. The staff is particularly friendly and the service is amazing! Recently, I went to the coffee bar and ordered a special herb tea. The employee Rahnee Lewis, who waited on me was so nice. She went out of her way to get the tea from the store room. I will continue to frequent this establishment.

Sharon Carlson

Room Tip: I did not rate the rooms as I have not seen them.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
JuergenOswald_11, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Central, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you very much for the loyalty to our hotel. I am very pleased that Rahnee stood above the rest. She is very eager to please and I am glad you got to experience her hospitality.

Looks like you are due for a staycation so you can evaluate our rooms too.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Nice quiet location, if you have a car. The hotel is very clean, and the staff would greet you when you see them in hallways. Front desk even made a followup call to make sure everything is OK in my room. Some minor quirks: the spout in my bathtub was loose, but it didn't bother me. It just wasted water, instead for going up the shower. Breakfast was typical and could get monotonous after having the same by your 3rd day. They also do not have afternoon refreshers, like at least water and coffee in lobby, like Double Tree or Hilton does. There is however a Starbucks counter to purchase and water in room for $3.50/bottle. They supply coffeemaker and coffee bags in room though. Hilton gives better points as well if you have membership. If they had these extras, this would merit a 5 rating.

Room Tip: Ask for room facing pool for better view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for noticing the little things like being greeted by our team and the Welcome Call after check-in. We really try to make our guests feel comfortable and pampered. I appreciate you mentioning the tub spout so we can follow-up.

I inquired with our Food & Beverage Director to implement a daily breakfast special, just like we do it for lunch or dinner. One small correction about afternoon refreshers. We do have complimentary flavored water at our Starbucks all day long.

Hope to welcome you back soon.

Jürgen Oswald

Been to Courtyard San Diego Central? Share your experiences!