“San Diego Trip” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #51 of 268 hotels in San Diego
Florida
“San Diego Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Great Location to everything! Loved the Marriott Service! The quality and consistency is the Hallmark of the Marriott Name! We enjoy many nights of fine dining, the Zoo, the Safari, Zip line, driving the Pacific Coast Highway! We had a great time!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
MHW1, General Manager at San Diego Marriott Del Mar, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed so much of what San Diego has to offer! The staff and I hold ourselves to a high standard for our guests so you can come to expect the high quality of Marriott service time and time again. We hope to have you back at the San Diego Marriott Del Mar again soon.

321 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Due to some work issues, I had to cancel my 5 day stay here, and the staff (Cecily and Sarah maybe?) were very accommodating. I'm a Platinum Marriott Rewards member, and they were able to cancel everything as I needed to move closer to the airport. It was a typical full-service Marriott, rooms could use a bit of updating, but I wasn't there long enough to make a real judgement.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
MHW1, General Manager at San Diego Marriott Del Mar, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor and your loyalty, as a Platinum Elite Member, to Marriott. I am happy to hear that Sisily and Sarah were able to make all the necessary changes for your reservation. I hope that the next time you are in Del Mar that you are able to spend more time at the hotel and enjoy one of the recently renovated rooms.
Bountiful, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I booked an advance purchase so I got a great rate at $149 a night. My girls and I stayed here for 2 night while in town. Hotel is clean, upscale and quiet, there was even a Lacrosse team staying and we didn't hear a peep at night. It is close to the freeway as well as a 5 minute drive to Torrey Pines State Park or 10 minutes if that to Del Mar Beach. On site self parking is $20 a day which we did instead of valet. This is pretty typical for hotels in California. Did not like the fact that even to get a wireless connection on my nook it was going to cost me $12.95 a day. WHAT!!! I have stayed at less upscale hotels and could get wirless for free. Other than the wireless issue I don't have a single complaint. The staff at the front desk was helpful and polite.

Room Tip: ask for a higher floor
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor and the compliments regarding the hotel. The Del Mar Marriott location is prime in Del Mar because it is so close to many beautiful beaches, Del Mar sites and is easily assessable for our guests. I do apologize that you were inconvenienced by the charge for internet, we are in the process of changing our internet for our guests; this month we will move to tiered internet pricing where the basic internet will be free of charge to our guests. We hope that you will return to the San Diego Marriott Del Mar with your girls again soon.
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Two parking attendants stood at prompt attention at the front of this older style hotel.
I needed to know some local information and as a tourist, certainly did not "trust" the cab drivers.
I approached the two young men at the front entrance of this hotel and asked them their advise as to where to sight see for four or five hours.

They suggested Old San Diego Historic Park with the history, old buildings and sensational Mexican restaurants.

I took their kind advise from what to see, where to go and how much the cab driver's fee should be.

They even ensured that I had a friendly, clear spoken english driver....Real friendly customer service!

Room Tip: Ask for one of the rooms on the higher levels with a ocean view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I am happy to hear that your experience at the hotel was friendly right off the bat. I have shared your comments with our Valet Manager to recognize those associates for their outstanding customer service. Old Town San Diego is filled with history and great places to eat, I hope you enjoyed! We look forward to having you back at the San Diego Marriott Del Mar so you can visit more sites in San Diego.
Valencia, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

This is my 3rd stay here at this location. I am returning to this hotel because of the excellent service, amenities and food. The sushi bar has a good selection of sashimi. The yellowtail and toro is excellent. I upgraded my reservation to the concierge level and it was well worth it. I enjoyed the concierge lounge due to the excellent service from the staff, especially Stephanie and Sarah. They went out of their way to make me feel welcome and appreciated!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I am happy to hear that you have enjoyed the hotel and staff so much that you will continue staying with us at the San Diego Marriott Del Mar. We thank you for your loyalty and appreciate the review from a frequent guest. Stephanie and Sarah in the concierge lounge really take excellent care of our guests and I am pleased to hear that you have received such great service time and time again. We look forward to having you back for your next, of hopefully many more, trips to the Del Mar Marriott.
Leesburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

My husband and I came out to CA for a wedding. We were greeted quite pleasantly, by the valets, each and every time we walked in or out. The room was very clean, and fairly roomy, nothing above and beyond for the price. However, the rooms were pretty soundproof. The bed was comfortable but the pillows were not so much! Woke up throughout the night fussing with the pillows. Cleaning staff was excellent. I do find it hard to believe in this day and age they charge $12.95 a day, not a 24 hour period, for WiFi. Also $20 a day for parking...please. Seems this Marriott is out to make a buck from the reward members regardless. They have these sneaky lil door stops that blend into the carpet, easier to restrict how far the door opens. Many stubbed toes between my husband and myself, finally we placed a bath towel over it to remind us it was there.. When we got our bill I checked it, they had charged for three days of WiFi Internet use. Upon checkout I stopped at the desk and questioned the extra charge...the clerk was very helpful and provided the excuse..".we updated the system and it didn't catch up. When your time is up the WiFi cuts off but you still get charged daily". He did get refi gyre my bill and removed one $12.95 charge off my bill. After this trip I believe my Marriott rewards program is over. In my humble opinion, if they want to charge for WiFi and parking ... be upfront and just put it in the price of the room instead of charging extra for perks of being a Marriott rewards member.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

Our stay at the Marriott Del Mar was quite a pleasant experience. The hotel has all the amenities a road warrior could ask for. A full gym, outdoor pool with hot tub, and a hip restaurant/grill boasting hand rolled sushi and local craft beer. Our stayed was highlighted by the exceptional staff. The front desk was very warm and friendly. Being a platinum member, I always look forward to the concierge lounge. I was not disappointed in the least bit. With a wide arrange of drinks and appetizers, there something for everyone. It's run by the nicest girl, I believe her name is Sarah. Look for her. She will take good care of you and your guests. Overall a great place to stay.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor and your loyalty to Marriott. It is important that we take exceptional care of our “road warriors” to the best of our abilities. I am pleased to hear that you utilized all outlets of the hotel from the fitness center to our wonderful sushi bar. Sarah in the concierge lounge is a true asset to this hotel and I am glad she made your experience a good one. We look forward to having you back at the San Diego Marriott Del Mar in the near future.

Been to San Diego Marriott Del Mar? Share your experiences!