“Welcoming, friendly, and a great place to stay...” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay and Save from $116
Ranked #46 of 269 hotels in San Diego
San Francisco, California
“Welcoming, friendly, and a great place to stay...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I can truly call this Marriott my "home away from home". I travel for business and have stayed at a few other hotel chains in the Del Mar area. I found this Marriott and have not changed hotels since. The rooms are contemporary and very comfortable. For the rooms I have stayed in, they had a mini-frig and the alarm clocks have an iphone 4s and below adapter in case you forget your iphone charger. The gym is decent and workable. If you like to run, I recommend the Torrey Pines beach area.

As others have mentioned, their focus on customer service is what sets this Marriott apart from their piers. The daytime front desk crew of Jerry, Lydia, Kelly, Sisily, and the Nicole's are top notch. They're warm, friendly, and get you checked in and on your way. When you are in your room and need to visit the concierge lounge, an equally top notch staff awaits to greet you. Sarah, Stephanie, and Grace are all very gracious and helpful; making my stay as pleasant as can be when your travelling and away from home.

Though I am writing this review from a business travelers perspective, I have seen a lot of families stay there on vacation. I plan to do the same when I am vacationing in San Diego.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
MHW1, General Manager at San Diego Marriott Del Mar, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
I am happy to hear that you consider the Del Mar Marriott your “home away from home”. The staff and I aim to make your stays as comfortable as possible and we enjoy welcoming you back week after week. Opinions from our frequent travelers such as yourself are so important due to the amount of time you spend in Marriott’s. Thank you so much for recognizing our staff, I will make sure to personally recognize them. We all look forward to your next visit. Warm Regards.

318 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We held a Mother's Day Brunch for our clients in the Arterra Great Room. My expectations were exceeded from when I initially spoke with Jenessa in Sales, to when I was greeted by Ken and Lisa on the day of. The room was setup wonderfully and the service was exceptional. I will be holding future business events and lunches here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I am happy to hear that you expectations for the Mother’s Day brunch were exceeded. Jenessa and her team make every effort to make meetings and special events flawless and memorable. The Great Room is a great space to host special occasions and I want to thank you for choosing the Marriott Del Mar. We look forward to hosting more business events and lunches for you and your clients.
san Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Arguably one of the best Marriott hotels in their portfolio primarily due to the staff, focus on customer service and attention to detail. From the minute you arrive and interact with the valet staff and front desk personnel, you will be overwhelmed by the genuinely friendly and attentive staff at this hotel. During my recent stay and event held at this hotel, they exceeded our expectations. The food was absolutely outstanding, and my guests wanted to meet the chef to pay their compliments. Rooms are warm, cozy and comfortable. Great bar and pool for relaxation. Hip, trendy and ultra cool vibe give this hotel an attitude that they easily live up to.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Who could ask for more- a 5 star rating across the board. I am pleased to hear that your experience was warm and welcoming and truly genuinely caring. The staff and I continue to focus on this to set us apart from other hotels and your acknowledgment will be shared with the entire team in our next staff meeting. Glad to hear that you were able to catch the ultra cool vibe which awaits you for your next visit at the Del Mar Marriott.
Orange, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Nice hotel. Comfortable room but nothing special compared to other Marriott Hotels as you expect them to have high standards. Service was very nice. Had many drinks and sushi in the Bar. Food and drinks were good but expensive. The Sunday Brunch was included in the room cost. Some confusion on this as they told me I could order anything for breakfast and the brunch did not look as good as the regular menu. I was informed that I had to eat the brunch if I expected it to be included in the price I paid. Included was a good value as the brunch was in my opinion not worth the price they were charging for it. Expect to also pay the normal high price for parking and internet in the room.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
I am pleased to hear that you felt our service was equal to other Marriott’s in that our brand takes great pride in providing a high standard of service. However, it is concerning to me that there was some confusion around Sunday brunch and I will share this information with the leadership team to rectify this for any future guests. Please feel free to contact me personally as I would like to invite you back to Arterra for breakfast to regain your confidence in our food and beverage services.
Altoona, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I stay here routinely on business, and this by far is one of the best hotels! Always impressed with the friendliness and attentiveness of the staff! Many thanks to Masud,James, and Breicia for being so accommodating to my needs and my routinely 4:30 am departures! You guys are great! Looking forward to many more nights here, and the sushi is outstanding, Andrew is awesome!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for recognizing Masud, James and Breicia. I feel very fortunate to have such a strong “A-team” watching over the hotel and our guests in the wee hours of the night. I will personally recognize not only the night team but Andrew as well, for he truly is an amazing sushi chef.
Rancho Cucamonga, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I was here for one night for business. the hotel has amazing staff and everyone demonstrates excellent customer service level, from the lobby staff to room service to random staff I met.

I got a second floor room. the room itself is pretty decent and clean. pillows and beds are very comfortable. I especially love how soft their bath towels are. but it didn't have slippers or a rope... (I was looking for them as I wanted to go down to enjoy the pool) I like the fact that on their phone there are five "At Your Service" buttons...you can press anyone of them and someone will solve all problems or requests you have... instead of trying to figure out which button to push for lobby, room service, house keeping, etc.

Room services' foods are pretty good. I ordered both dinner (some soup, salad & dessert) and breakfast in room. one not-so-good thing as many reviewers had mentioned is that they do charge for in-room WIFI. but there is free WIFI at lobby and pool areas. I had decided to pay for the WIFI in room but then realized because I was located at 2nd floor... I could actually receive very good free WIFI signals from the lobby... that was a nice surprise...

Because it was a Tuesday, I got the pool/spa area all to myself. it was certainly relaxing. overall I had a very good experience staying here!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for such a detailed review, you write similarly to the audit company we use to evaluate our service. This could be a second career for you, if you ever desire. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed all the amenities at the hotel and that you were able to relax poolside. Though WIFI will not be entirely free, the hotel will be offering a tiered pricing structure as of September 1st. This will allow guests who only need access to e-mail a much better value proposition than the current pricing. Once again thank you so much for your kind words about our staff and we look forward to your next visit.
Malibu, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Stay here frequently and love it. Night staff always looks after me when I'm up at 3:00 AM for no reason. Kudos to James, Breicia, and Masud for always making me feel at home. Great location, great food at Arterra, especially the sushi from Andrew.

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor and for staying with us so frequently. James, Breicia and Masud have been recognized for their outstanding service to our guests at all hours of the night. I am glad to hear that you continue to enjoy the Arterra restaurant and sushi during your visits. Andrew makes some of the best sushi in North County and we are so fortunate to have him as part of our team. Once again thank you for your continued patronage and we look forward to your next visit.

Been to San Diego Marriott Del Mar? Share your experiences!