“Excellent staff, excellent property” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #47 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Malibu, California
“Excellent staff, excellent property”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Stay here frequently and love it. Night staff always looks after me when I'm up at 3:00 AM for no reason. Kudos to James, Breicia, and Masud for always making me feel at home. Great location, great food at Arterra, especially the sushi from Andrew.

• Stayed May 2013
MHW1, General Manager at San Diego Marriott Del Mar, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor and for staying with us so frequently. James, Breicia and Masud have been recognized for their outstanding service to our guests at all hours of the night. I am glad to hear that you continue to enjoy the Arterra restaurant and sushi during your visits. Andrew makes some of the best sushi in North County and we are so fortunate to have him as part of our team. Once again thank you for your continued patronage and we look forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
West Lafayette, Indiana, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I was very impressed with the service, the friendliness, and especially the room quality at this property. The hotel is very nice, although it is not near the beach nor is it near a variety of restaurants. There's a nice Mexican place next door, but other than that you are limited to hotel dining. The dining in the hotel was very good, but pricey.

I was very pleased with my stay at the hotel, and would recommend it to people traveling in the area.

Room Tip: The complimentary breakfast on the Concierge Level was very nicely done.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
MHW1, General Manager at San Diego Marriott Del Mar, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
I am happy to hear that you were pleased with the level of service and quality at the property. The guest rooms were recently renovated and the housekeeping staff takes pride in keeping the rooms looking brand new. Although the property is not located on the beach, Torrey Pines state beach is a 5 minute drive away and offers great views and hiking. I am pleased to inform you the hotel has recently added a complimentary shuttle service within a 5 mile radius that can take you to nearby restaurants, attractions and downtown Del Mar. Thank you for your kind recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I travel for work and a good hotel can make or break a long-term engagement. For the past year I have been staying at the Marriott Del Mar and I have only good things to say about it.

The gym is decent, the food is really good and I especially love the sushi bar (get the special spicy albacore roll) and the people are awesome: Rita greets me every Monday; Sisily, Lydia, Nicole, Nicole, and Jerry help get me checked in within minutes; and Sarah, Stephanie, and Grace always take care of me in the Concierge lounge.

I have stayed some weekends in SD for personal trips - to explore downtown, the Zoo, etc. - and decided to stay at this hotel, even though it is farther from where I needed to be, because I like it so much.

-Wayne E.

Room Tip: Don't stay in Room 1116 - I have stayed in every room on the 11th floor and all area great excep...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Wayne, thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. It has been our pleasure to host you for the past year and welcome you into our Marriott family. It is a true testament to our staff that you have spent week after week at our hotel. I am pleased that the staff has been able to extend their gracious hospitality and always make you feel welcome. Though we are disappointed that your project has come to a completion we are happy that you will have a chance to spend more time at home. Thanks again for your loyalty, all the best from the Marriott staff. Go BoSox!
Seabeck
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

The Marriott has very upscale pricing and so I expect a flawless room. This was not the case. We had a room that was not perfect at all. The nightstand had gum on the bottom and the ceiling had obvious water damage that was just painted over. The A/C did not work properly. It did not go under 72 degrees so it was cooler in the hallway than it was in our room.
The staff was friendly but we stay in the room so this is where I base my review on.
When you pay top dollar for the room and a lot more for valet parking I want the room to be nice and don't see things that I expect in a cheap motel.
The fact that it took them more than 12 hours to get the tray picked up from in front of our room.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
MHW1, General Manager at San Diego Marriott Del Mar, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to share your recent experience at the San Diego Marriott Del Mar. I am pleased to hear that you felt the staff was friendly, but I am disappointed that the guest room was not up to our Marriott standard and fell short of your expectations. I regularly inspect guest rooms and will ensure that I share your comments with our housekeeping staff in an effort to continue to improve our service. If you could share which room you were in most recently I would like to personally inspect that room and use it as a learning opportunity. Again, thank you for your review it is much appreciated and I hope the staff and I have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the San Diego Marriott Del Mar.
Mission Viejo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

This hotel was beautiful. We were greeted by bell men every time we arrived. They were so friendly. The front desk was very busy but they kept things moving efficiently. Our rooms was nicely appointed and very tidy. It included a small refrigerator which is always a bonus. The only complaint I have on this property is that our adjoining room door seemed to be the source of sounds from our neighbor. We could clearly hear their conversations. Thankfully they went to bed at a reasonable time. They did wake us up earlier than we had hoped with their chatter.
Loved the location so central to all activities in San Diego! Definitely would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013
I am happy to hear that your initial experience with the hotel was a positive one and that your check on process went smoothly. The front desk staff works hard to make sure they execute our guests’ needs in a timely and efficient manner. I do apologize that the guests in the connecting room were. In the future please feel free to contact the front desk and we will be more than happy to try to mitigate the noise. Our location in Del Mar really gives you the opportunities to visit many parts of San Diego and I am glad you were able to get out and see the sites.
NH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I recently attended a professional conference at this hotel and stayed three nights. The facility is very well maintained and the rooms are very clean, modern and extremely comfortable. The staff seems to be genuinely interested in the welfare of the guests. Unlike at some properties where I get the feeling that they have been instructed to smile and greet guests, the staff here seems to genuinely care about their jobs; the smiles and friendly greetings seem to be "from the heart". The outdoor pool/spa area is comfortable and well furnished, however, due to the location near major roads, there is a lot of traffic noise. The restaurant is a bit pricey, as expected at such a property, however, the food, service and presentation are excellent. There is a shopping area within a 10 minute walk with many other great restaurant choices and a Hallmark gift shop. The only thing I didn't like at this property was the strange upholstered furniture in the common areas. They have chairs that are strangely low to the ground and a number of odd sofa/divan/chair things that have no backrest and are very hard to sit or lay upon. The decorators went a bit out of control with the furniture. The room furnishings, including the desk, dresser, and bed were excellent. The only issue I had in the room was that I had to crawl under the desk to plug in my laptop power cord; most hotels now have a power strip on top of the desk or at desk-top level. There was a receptacle built into the desk lamp base, however, it was too loose to retain the power cord. I would knock off a half a point for these small issues but not a whole point. This is a terrific property which I would highly recommend.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your recommendation on Trip Advisor. Marriott’s philosophy has always been to “take good care of your people and they will take good care of your customers”. I sincerely believe that the associates at the San Diego Marriott Del Mar are exceptional in taking care of our guests and genuinely passionate about guest service. I am glad to hear that you were able to dine in Arterra and enjoy the pool and patio area during your conference. The guest rooms were recently renovated so I apologize that the plug-in on your lamp was defective. If you could please supply me with your room number I will personally inspect the lamp and rectify this defect. We look forward to having you back at the San Diego Marriott Del Mar whether it be for work or leisure.
Fountain Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

This is the best Marriott hotel in San Diego. The staff is professional and friendly. I was extremely impressed with the concierge lounge staff, Sarah and Stephanie. They were both vibrant, entertaining, and very attentive to our needs. The Wednesday Night Elite Reception was spectacular. Complimentary drinks and appetizers were a hit!! It was a pleasure meeting the General Manager Michael and his Assistant, Ricardo.

Room Tip: The hotel rom on the concierge level is wonderful.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your fabulous review on Trip Advisor. Sarah and Stephanie are great concierge hosts and take great pride in creating a unique concierge experience. The Elite Reception is a small token of our appreciation to our most valued of guests, our Elite Members. Thank you for your loyalty to Marriott. We look forward to having you come back soon.

Been to San Diego Marriott Del Mar? Share your experiences!