“Gum under the table, water damage on the ceiling” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay and Save from $116
Ranked #42 of 270 hotels in San Diego
Seabeck
“Gum under the table, water damage on the ceiling”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

The Marriott has very upscale pricing and so I expect a flawless room. This was not the case. We had a room that was not perfect at all. The nightstand had gum on the bottom and the ceiling had obvious water damage that was just painted over. The A/C did not work properly. It did not go under 72 degrees so it was cooler in the hallway than it was in our room.
The staff was friendly but we stay in the room so this is where I base my review on.
When you pay top dollar for the room and a lot more for valet parking I want the room to be nice and don't see things that I expect in a cheap motel.
The fact that it took them more than 12 hours to get the tray picked up from in front of our room.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
MHW1, General Manager at San Diego Marriott Del Mar, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to share your recent experience at the San Diego Marriott Del Mar. I am pleased to hear that you felt the staff was friendly, but I am disappointed that the guest room was not up to our Marriott standard and fell short of your expectations. I regularly inspect guest rooms and will ensure that I share your comments with our housekeeping staff in an effort to continue to improve our service. If you could share which room you were in most recently I would like to personally inspect that room and use it as a learning opportunity. Again, thank you for your review it is much appreciated and I hope the staff and I have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the San Diego Marriott Del Mar.

300 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Mission Viejo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

This hotel was beautiful. We were greeted by bell men every time we arrived. They were so friendly. The front desk was very busy but they kept things moving efficiently. Our rooms was nicely appointed and very tidy. It included a small refrigerator which is always a bonus. The only complaint I have on this property is that our adjoining room door seemed to be the source of sounds from our neighbor. We could clearly hear their conversations. Thankfully they went to bed at a reasonable time. They did wake us up earlier than we had hoped with their chatter.
Loved the location so central to all activities in San Diego! Definitely would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013
MHW1, General Manager at San Diego Marriott Del Mar, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
I am happy to hear that your initial experience with the hotel was a positive one and that your check on process went smoothly. The front desk staff works hard to make sure they execute our guests’ needs in a timely and efficient manner. I do apologize that the guests in the connecting room were. In the future please feel free to contact the front desk and we will be more than happy to try to mitigate the noise. Our location in Del Mar really gives you the opportunities to visit many parts of San Diego and I am glad you were able to get out and see the sites.
NH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I recently attended a professional conference at this hotel and stayed three nights. The facility is very well maintained and the rooms are very clean, modern and extremely comfortable. The staff seems to be genuinely interested in the welfare of the guests. Unlike at some properties where I get the feeling that they have been instructed to smile and greet guests, the staff here seems to genuinely care about their jobs; the smiles and friendly greetings seem to be "from the heart". The outdoor pool/spa area is comfortable and well furnished, however, due to the location near major roads, there is a lot of traffic noise. The restaurant is a bit pricey, as expected at such a property, however, the food, service and presentation are excellent. There is a shopping area within a 10 minute walk with many other great restaurant choices and a Hallmark gift shop. The only thing I didn't like at this property was the strange upholstered furniture in the common areas. They have chairs that are strangely low to the ground and a number of odd sofa/divan/chair things that have no backrest and are very hard to sit or lay upon. The decorators went a bit out of control with the furniture. The room furnishings, including the desk, dresser, and bed were excellent. The only issue I had in the room was that I had to crawl under the desk to plug in my laptop power cord; most hotels now have a power strip on top of the desk or at desk-top level. There was a receptacle built into the desk lamp base, however, it was too loose to retain the power cord. I would knock off a half a point for these small issues but not a whole point. This is a terrific property which I would highly recommend.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your recommendation on Trip Advisor. Marriott’s philosophy has always been to “take good care of your people and they will take good care of your customers”. I sincerely believe that the associates at the San Diego Marriott Del Mar are exceptional in taking care of our guests and genuinely passionate about guest service. I am glad to hear that you were able to dine in Arterra and enjoy the pool and patio area during your conference. The guest rooms were recently renovated so I apologize that the plug-in on your lamp was defective. If you could please supply me with your room number I will personally inspect the lamp and rectify this defect. We look forward to having you back at the San Diego Marriott Del Mar whether it be for work or leisure.
Fountain Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

This is the best Marriott hotel in San Diego. The staff is professional and friendly. I was extremely impressed with the concierge lounge staff, Sarah and Stephanie. They were both vibrant, entertaining, and very attentive to our needs. The Wednesday Night Elite Reception was spectacular. Complimentary drinks and appetizers were a hit!! It was a pleasure meeting the General Manager Michael and his Assistant, Ricardo.

Room Tip: The hotel rom on the concierge level is wonderful.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your fabulous review on Trip Advisor. Sarah and Stephanie are great concierge hosts and take great pride in creating a unique concierge experience. The Elite Reception is a small token of our appreciation to our most valued of guests, our Elite Members. Thank you for your loyalty to Marriott. We look forward to having you come back soon.
Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I have stayed at many hotels in the San Diego area. This is definitely the best in the area. The hotel has been recently remodeled. The service by the management and staff (Michael, Richardo, Stephanie, Sarah) are unbelieveable. They went out of their way to make me feel welcomed. BTW, Artera has an excellent happy hour. The food and drinks are tasty and affordable.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. “Best in the area”, there could not be a better compliment for the staff and I. We are happy to hear that you had a most enjoyable stay and enjoyed the Arterra happy hour. We look forward to welcoming you back during your next stay.
Fontana, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

We stayed here with three other families to celebrate my daughter's fourth birthday. There were sixteen of us total and each family was travelling with two children ranging in age from one year to four and a half. The rooms were a comfortable size and the hotel was busy, but never felt crowded. We enjoyed the pool area. Especially the cabanas. We were able to relax while the children swam and also enjoyed breakfast from the lobby restaurant because they have take-out available. I was disappointed with the pricing and service of the bar. Ben was nice, but didn't tell me the items I asked for were not available in a smaller size portion until after he already inputted my order even though I specifically said that was what I wanted. Also, to be charged $3 for an ice tea served in a small size Solo cup to me was a little much. Paolo and Nicole at the front desk were great in accommodating the check-in process for us and made the initial experience at the hotel a positive one. The parking lot was convenient and some of us enjoyed the gym. We went later in the evening and no one else was there. The following morning though, it was packed. I would suggest going at night for a quieter workout. The hotel overall was great and we had a wonderful time. Thank you.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor and happy belated fourth birthday to your daughter. I am glad that your family and friends chose to celebrate such a special occasion at the San Diego Marriott Del Mar. It’s nice to hear that you were able to take full advantage of all the hotel’s amenities. Though I am pleased that Ben was friendly I apologize for the confusion regarding your order and additional training has been conducted to ensure that this does not happen to other future guests. Thank you for recognizing Paolo and Nicole for the exceptional experience provided upon check in. We look forward to having you back at the San Diego Marriott Del Mar for more family fun.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We recently stayed at the San Diego Mariott Del Mar. We have stayed here a few times before and keep returning because of the good service all around. The hotel is in a great location in Del Mar( though it is right next to the freeway, we never heard it in our room) and you are close to many things north and south. They have recently updated all the rooms, so they are very comfortable. The pool area has a nice cabana area to sit and the pool is a nice size- not huge, but adequate. Lots of business travelers seem to use the hotel during the week but weekends it is quiet. it is one of our favorite spots to go to stay in SanDiego because of location and price/value.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
MHW1, General Manager at San Diego Marriott Del Mar, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. It brings me great joy to hear that you returned to the San Diego Marriott Del Mar due to the exceptional service you have received in the past. The staff aims to create a most genuinely warm and inviting atmosphere so that guests feel comfortable when they are away from home. I will ensure to share your comments with the team and feel honored that you consider this one of your favorite spots to stay in San Diego.

Been to San Diego Marriott Del Mar? Share your experiences!