“Stupendous Culinary Service” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #50 of 268 hotels in San Diego
New York City, New York
“Stupendous Culinary Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

About a month ago I was with my sick wife and with our 8 months old daughter for a leisure trip, with my wife being ill I went down to the restaurant to grab something for us to eat but checking the breakfast menu nothing excites my palette so I ask a server if she can make us some simple breakfast burritos and she said "I'll ask the chef" after few second this asian chef came to me with a big smile on and ask about my request..after expressing what I wanted and what is it for she replied "don't worry sir. ill make something special" right then and then I felt the great hospitality of the hotel. After grabbing our food I went back right away to our room to feed my hungry kid and a sick why and as we open the boxes the food smell and look amazing "The BEST BREAKFAST BURRITOS I/WE EVER HAD!" It was made with perfection. As I and my sick wife enjoying some few bites, we heard a knock on our door and surprisingly it's the asian chef again!! carrying a plate of medicine and a cup of ginger ale for my sick wife as she say's " I heard your wife was sick so I have some remedy for her, I hope it helps" with a big smile on! and that overwhelmed me and my wife the most! a true genuine carrying individual!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
MHW1, General Manager at San Diego Marriott Del Mar, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I am sorry to hear that your wife was under the weather while you were here in Del Mar. All of us need a little pampering at times when we are not feeling the best. I am so proud the Baba Estavillo, the chef that assisted you, was able to provide a little comfort and personalized service for your wife. Because of your review Baba has been nominated for a “Spirit to Serve” award and will be receiving her certificate at our next staff meeting. We look forward to welcoming you back for a healthier stay next time you are in the Del Mar area.

324 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Arlington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I travel to San Diego on business and love the location and the amenities at the San Diego Marriott Del Mar. Great Fitness Center, Wifi and the food is delicious. Couldn't believe how quickly, room service was. The staff( Lindsey) was most helpful in addressing all my needs.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. Lindsey is definitely one of our star associates at the front desk and I am pleased to hear that she was able to accommodate all your needs during your stay. I am happy to hear that you used and were able to enjoy all the amenities that we have to offer at the San Diego Marriott Del Mar; the fitness center, rooms service, Wifi. Our goal is to make your stay most enjoyable and comfortable while you are traveling for business. Thank you for your loyalty to Marriott and we look forward to having you back on your next business trip.
La Jolla, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Our non-profit organization recently held an intimate wine tasting event in the Great Room of the Marriott Del Mar. We worked with Jenessa, the Sales & Events Coordinator, and she did a fantastic job, responding to our inquiries in a timely manner, accommodating all of our requests, having the flexibility to respond to our last minute changes -- a real pleasure to work with. Agie was our server during the tasting and did a super job, prepping the room and, once the tasting began, ensuring that the food and other beverages were served, items were cleared, etc. We had a choral group sing and the hotel let us use their Library as a waiting area/dining space for them as they waited to sing. Last, we had to decant 22 bottles of wine in the bar area before the event and the bar staff, too, were very accommodating and helpful. Thank you, everyone, for making our event a smooth success!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor and for choosing Arterra to host your event. I am pleased to hear that your event was a smooth success and that Jenessa and Agie were accommodating and helpful throughout the entire event process. Jenessa is an extraordinary Sales & Events Coordinator and makes it her priority to deliver fantastic events, like your wine tasting event, in Arterra. We look forward to hosting another event with you non-profit organization in the future.
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

My fiancée and I love the Marriott in Del Mar, We dot have time to go on real vacations but when we want a getaway and to forget about work we head over to the Marriott in Del Mar. We have stayed a few times this year and everyone from the valet to kitchen actually seem to care about us when we are there. Megan at the Arterra restaurant even remembered our name this trip! How crazy is that! Josef the restaurant manager was bartending this week and made us a few amazing cocktails, he was talkative and fun and made us feel special. Debbie the server was busy and still had time to smile and say hi while making her job look easy. From John who delivered our food in room service, to Bill who brought around our car, and Kelly at the front desk! Where do they find such a great group of people? Last month we had a problem at check-in, it was quickly solved and then magically a note and some goodies were sent to our room with a note from Mollie, I could go on and on about how special we feel on our stay-cations! Thank you everyone for giving us such warm and fuzzies!!!! Much love from your San Diego local's.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the pool, very nice from up high
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
I am extremely pleased to hear that you choose the San Diego Marriott Del Mar as your “stay-cation” hotel. I strongly believe that it is the amazing staff here in Del Mar that can turn a stay-cation into a truly memorable experience. It is important to the staff and I that we create relationships with our guests and give the highest level of guest service. All the associates that you have mentioned have been recognized for their outstanding hospitality and loyalty to making our guests feel special. I am glad that your problem at check in was quickly resolved and I hope you enjoyed the goodies. We look forward to having you back for more “stay-cations” in the future.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Having stayed at most San Diego hotels, the Marriott Del Mar has all other chain properties beat, including the hotels downtown. The rooms are spacious with plenty of room to work, there are plenty of plugs, an iPhone alarm clock next to the bed, the mattresses are supportive (they don't have that worn-in body rut that other hotels have), rooms are well-kept, bathrooms are consistently clean, there are both kinds of pillows on each bed, and the staff is extraordinarily thoughtful. I have been staying here every week for the past year and can't recommend it enough.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Wow, “Best Hotel in San Diego”, what a compliment. Thank you for your excellent review on Trip Advisor. The staff and I take pride in our newly renovated guest rooms and I am truly glad you enjoyed our finished product. I am glad the staff has been recognized for their efforts in working towards delivering a consistently clean product and friendly service. We are happy to have you here at the San Diego Marriott Del Mar weekly and we thank you for your loyalty to Marriott.
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

My organization held a networking mix-and-mingler at Arterra last evening. The event planner was so helpful and organized from the onset. The day of the event, the server and bartender were very attentive to our members and guests. It wasn't a 'big' event, but our needs were well-attended to and we were made to feel very special. I called about 6 other venues, seeking the flexibility I needed for our premier networking event, and I am so glad we selected Arterra. The atmosphere and food were perfect. We still had stragglers at the end of the event and they simply migrated over to the bar area. The central location helped us pull attendees from all over San Diego. NICE JOB.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I want to sincerely thank you for choosing Arterra to host your networking event. I truly feel that Arterra’s location and atmosphere creates a unique location in Del Mar for events and meetings. I am glad to hear that Jenessa, the event planner, and the Arterra staff were helpful and attentive to your needs. Our goal is to always deliver great customer service and flawless events. We will be happy to host another networking mixer for you in the future.
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We had a wonderful time tasting all the different dishes that Chef Jonathan created at a recent Chef's dinner that I was lucky to be part of. The service was great and Chase poured some very tasty wines. A Thank You to the Chef and his team.
The Arterra restaurant is also a great choice for private business dining.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed Chef Jonathan’s creative selection at the Chef’s tasting. It was our pleasure to host you in Arterra for this special dinner and we look forward to having you back at Arterra whether it is for pleasure or a business event.

Been to San Diego Marriott Del Mar? Share your experiences!