“Great Stay-Cation” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #51 of 268 hotels in San Diego
San Diego, California
“Great Stay-Cation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

My fiancée and I love the Marriott in Del Mar, We dot have time to go on real vacations but when we want a getaway and to forget about work we head over to the Marriott in Del Mar. We have stayed a few times this year and everyone from the valet to kitchen actually seem to care about us when we are there. Megan at the Arterra restaurant even remembered our name this trip! How crazy is that! Josef the restaurant manager was bartending this week and made us a few amazing cocktails, he was talkative and fun and made us feel special. Debbie the server was busy and still had time to smile and say hi while making her job look easy. From John who delivered our food in room service, to Bill who brought around our car, and Kelly at the front desk! Where do they find such a great group of people? Last month we had a problem at check-in, it was quickly solved and then magically a note and some goodies were sent to our room with a note from Mollie, I could go on and on about how special we feel on our stay-cations! Thank you everyone for giving us such warm and fuzzies!!!! Much love from your San Diego local's.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the pool, very nice from up high
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
MHW1, General Manager at San Diego Marriott Del Mar, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
I am extremely pleased to hear that you choose the San Diego Marriott Del Mar as your “stay-cation” hotel. I strongly believe that it is the amazing staff here in Del Mar that can turn a stay-cation into a truly memorable experience. It is important to the staff and I that we create relationships with our guests and give the highest level of guest service. All the associates that you have mentioned have been recognized for their outstanding hospitality and loyalty to making our guests feel special. I am glad that your problem at check in was quickly resolved and I hope you enjoyed the goodies. We look forward to having you back for more “stay-cations” in the future.

321 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Having stayed at most San Diego hotels, the Marriott Del Mar has all other chain properties beat, including the hotels downtown. The rooms are spacious with plenty of room to work, there are plenty of plugs, an iPhone alarm clock next to the bed, the mattresses are supportive (they don't have that worn-in body rut that other hotels have), rooms are well-kept, bathrooms are consistently clean, there are both kinds of pillows on each bed, and the staff is extraordinarily thoughtful. I have been staying here every week for the past year and can't recommend it enough.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Wow, “Best Hotel in San Diego”, what a compliment. Thank you for your excellent review on Trip Advisor. The staff and I take pride in our newly renovated guest rooms and I am truly glad you enjoyed our finished product. I am glad the staff has been recognized for their efforts in working towards delivering a consistently clean product and friendly service. We are happy to have you here at the San Diego Marriott Del Mar weekly and we thank you for your loyalty to Marriott.
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

My organization held a networking mix-and-mingler at Arterra last evening. The event planner was so helpful and organized from the onset. The day of the event, the server and bartender were very attentive to our members and guests. It wasn't a 'big' event, but our needs were well-attended to and we were made to feel very special. I called about 6 other venues, seeking the flexibility I needed for our premier networking event, and I am so glad we selected Arterra. The atmosphere and food were perfect. We still had stragglers at the end of the event and they simply migrated over to the bar area. The central location helped us pull attendees from all over San Diego. NICE JOB.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I want to sincerely thank you for choosing Arterra to host your networking event. I truly feel that Arterra’s location and atmosphere creates a unique location in Del Mar for events and meetings. I am glad to hear that Jenessa, the event planner, and the Arterra staff were helpful and attentive to your needs. Our goal is to always deliver great customer service and flawless events. We will be happy to host another networking mixer for you in the future.
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We had a wonderful time tasting all the different dishes that Chef Jonathan created at a recent Chef's dinner that I was lucky to be part of. The service was great and Chase poured some very tasty wines. A Thank You to the Chef and his team.
The Arterra restaurant is also a great choice for private business dining.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed Chef Jonathan’s creative selection at the Chef’s tasting. It was our pleasure to host you in Arterra for this special dinner and we look forward to having you back at Arterra whether it is for pleasure or a business event.
Tempe, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I work at a Marriot so of course I understand the quality when it comes to amazing customer service, the thing that makes me curious is seeing the company in other locations, this passed with flying colors and I am very pleased and not at all suprised to see this.
Some employees to note:
Front desk associate Nicole, she is a sweetheart and very accomodating.
Concierge Sarah, she is a great host

All in a a beautiful place, and wonderful stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you, fellow Marriott associate, for your review on Trip Advisor. I am happy to hear that our hotel passed your guest service test. Nicole and Sarah are most definitely assets to our hotel and we are lucky to have them here in Del Mar. We look forward to having you back at the San Diego Marriot Del Mar for another wonderful stay.
San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I went to Arterra with three friends for a 5-course Chef's tasting. It was absolutely wonderful! (And there were more than 5 courses!) Each item the terrific wait staff brought out was better than the previous one. We also tasted several really great wines. The presentation of the food items and how they were paired, were very creative and delicious. I can't wait to go back!
I have also been to the Marriott for an all-day company meeting. The meeting room was great and the outside patio/bar area was really nice and relaxing at the end of the day. I would highly recommend any type of company event at either the hotel or Arterra.

Room Tip: I didn't spend the night at the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. Congratulations on winning the Chef’s tasting during the Arterra customer appreciation event. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the food and wine. Our Executive Chef, Jonathan Wills, has done an exceptional job bringing a new creativity and flavor to Arterra restaurant and lounge. I am glad that you were able to enjoy your company meeting with us in addition to the Chef tasting. The pool and patio areas really do make for a great place to relax; especially paired with the nice San Diego weather. We look forward to having to back for more delicious meals at Arterra.
San Rafael
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

.......with a friendly wonderful staff
For almost 5 years now I have been staying at the Del Mar Marriott some times 4 to 6 times in one month.
From the moment I arrive to park my car I am greeted by a friendly face. My check is process with so many familiar faces - from Jerry who always goes above an beyond with the details of my reservation to Sisily who is always smiling.
I have my routine that I often follow. I ask if Stephanie is working in the lounge upstairs as she always is so wonderful. She is upbeat and always greets me with a compliment and smile.

Almost every time I am at the property I must have Sushi and catch up with Sushi Chef Andrew who makes me a role of chef's choice.

With the success of every property I look to the GM - in this case Michael is almost always seen greeting customers, talking with staff, at the Wednesday Manager's reception and making sure the guests and the staff are taken care of. A well run property, one that you want to return to often success starts with the top management and SPREADS.
This is a great property - I highly recommend it and look forward to arriving and connecting back with the staff.
Keep up the great work Del Mar Marriott Team - See ya soon - I will continue to tell everyone what a great run property the Del Mar Marriott is!

Melissa Prandi

Room Tip: This is not a large property so all rooms are great. I like the corner kings to the right of the el...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to San Diego Marriott Del Mar? Share your experiences!