“Great Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

The experience is positive from the moment you arrive. The front desk staff is second to none and always willing to help. The rooms are always clean and comfortable. I would recommend this location to all San Diego guests. Great location between Legoland and Sea World!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Fairfield, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

The Marriott is a great place for business travel but not for personal travel. It is far away from beaches and restaurants. It is very close to I-5 which makes it a great place for corporate travel. Also, the hotel bar and restaurant is the perfect place to bring clients. It has an outdoor area with heat lamps and couches which make it fantastic for a few drinks. Inside, the small plates and sushi are perfect for a light meal.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
MHW1, General Manager at San Diego Marriott Del Mar, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Thank you for the positive recommendation. The staff and I take great pride in both our hotel and locally renowned Arterra Restaurant. I am pleased that you were able to host clients and had a most productive stay. Next time you are in the area we would take great pleasure in sharing some of the nearby amenities such as Torrey Pines beach and the beautiful Del Mar Village. I look forward to welcoming you back hopefully in the near future.
Escondido, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Super Clean, comfortable room/bed. Front desk people could not be any nicer, and polite. I felt comfortable and welcomed immediately. Everytime I excited the front door and saw the valet parking attendant, they greeted me so nicely. Just wonderful. I was a bit confused when I arrived at the hotel parking lot. Usually, at any hotel, parking structure is directly connected to the hotel lobby. But this Marriot, I had to actually exit the parking structure, walked to the hotel front entrance, everytime I needed to get something from my car. Just wished there was the direct path to the parking lot. Fitness center was clean and equipment was well maintained and I was satisfied. Fitness center has great view to the pool, palm tree, and hot tub. Also it is open 24hrs. Apples were on the basket, towels, waters, provided, very nice. They charge wirelss service about $13? I thought it was a bit pricey. Next to the front desk, there were 2 computers, complimentary. Those were free to use, 24 hrs. Nice restaurant on the lobby, Sushi bar too. Overall, very very nice hotel, great people!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
MHW1, General Manager at San Diego Marriott Del Mar, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you for the excellent review. I am very pleased you felt welcomed by our front desk and valet associates. We take great pride in trying to create a comfortable setting for our guests when they are away from the comforts of home. I’m glad to hear you enjoyed the fitness center facilities with the pool view during your stay. As you mentioned there is a charge for wireless internet in the guest rooms however, I hope you were able to take advantage of the complimentary lobby computers. The staff and I look forward to welcoming you back at the San Diego Marriott Del Mar in the near future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

This is a nice, clean and comfortable Marriott. I believe it was just redone. Concierge level evening "meal" was probably the best we have experienced. Only negative was price for self-park in the garage. I would expect that more in a big city location. Overall I would go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
MHW1, General Manager at San Diego Marriott Del Mar, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank you for your positive review. The hotel recently went through a renovation that was completed last year. I am pleased to hear that this was evident as you enjoyed your stay throughout the hotel. One of our key focus areas has been to improve the concierge lounge experience and elevate the quality of food. In addition the concierge lounge will be offering rotating menus for our elite guests. The staff and I look forward to having you back for another “meal” soon.
Mission Viejo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I often stay at this hotel when attending the races at Del Mar or satellite wagering facility. Although I have had spotty check-in service from others in the past, Kelly was extremely helpful in explaining my rate included some amenities not known to me at the time of booking. She was also able to accommodate an upgrade for one night of my two nights (nice option; better than none). Also, Henry in Accounting went to great lengths to expediently handle a Marriott Rewards point adjustment on my account caused by a credit card presentment error on my part. The room was clean, comfortable and quiet. Overall high marks for this stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for the high marks and detailed review. I am happy to hear we were able to accommodate you while you attended the Del Mar races and that you received quick and excellent service. Kelly and Henry have both been recognized for their outstanding guest service at a recent staff meeting. Upgrades and elite benefits are available to our elite guests; please go to Marriott.com/rewards to learn more. The staff and I are looking forward to having you back at the San Diego Marriott Del Mar to enjoy the perks of your elite membership loyalty.
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

By anyone's definition I am a frequent traveller. Over 1000 nights in Marriotts alone in the past seven years. I finished my stay of over 200 days in this particular Mariott in December of 2012. This is without doubt one of the top two Marriotts I have ever had the pleasure of staying at, and the other Marriott was a five star resort Marriott. I stayed in four Marriott Properties in the San Diego area before deciding on the Marriott Del Mar. This hotel was good enough that I commuted for forty five minutes to my place of business. When you stay at a hotel as long as I do, you always find the warts and the weak spots. This hotel has none. I attribute this to Michael, the General Manager and an incredible staff who are as nice, as helpful and as capable as any you will find at any hotel. The rooms have been refurbished in the past year and are clean and bright. The restaurant is several steps above hotel restaurants. Check in process is a breeze. Concierge lounge is comfortable and the staff is very effective at ensuring you have exceptional breakfast and evening dinners. Housekeeping is efficient and keeps the rooms very nice, and "At your service" furnished me with the best tips on everything from hikes at Torrey Pines to Restaurants in San Diego.

In my mind, good process is the key to consistent service and when you combine that with happy employees you have an unbeatable combination. Thank you to everyone at the San Diego Marriott Del Mar for providing me with a wonderful home away from home.

Room Tip: All of the rooms have been re-furbished in the past year. The refurbishment was very classy and made...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Orange County
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

This stay was a last-minute choice for a quick Valentines getaway. I was extremely happy with the room. It was quiet, relaxing, clean.
There's a bar downstairs with a little adjacent sitting area. It appeared just for decor or ambiance, but there was a bookshelf with many interesting books. We actually spent a couple hours there, going through some interesting coffee table style books.
There was a great health food store down the street called Jimbo's Naturally. We eat vegan, so we picked up a nice dinner and brought it back to our room.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quiet
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to San Diego Marriott Del Mar? Share your experiences!