“Great stay and would come back again” 5 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #27 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Honolulu
“Great stay and would come back again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2010

Stayed on the front and back end of a business trip. Great location off of Highway 805. The hotel is about 12 miles north of downtown San Diego.

Large King size room with dresser, desk, flat screen tv and free wifi. Room was clean and had rooms on the second floor which were quiet.

Comp. hot breakfast in the morning which consist of eggs, bread, breakfast meat, cereal, juice, fruit, coffee, milk, yogurt.

Outdoor swimming pool, fitness center and business center (took a peek but did not use)

Free parking but lot does get full around dinner time as the hotel shares a lot with a restaurant (Chili's).

Numerous eating locations/retail strip mall east down Mira Mesa Blvd. All are within a 5-10 minute drive.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
HIESV, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego-Sorrento Valley, responded to this review, May 17, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you so much for writing such a wonderful review of our hotel. For every guest that stays at our hotel, we put forth our best effort to make their stay as pleasant as possible. We have also recently upgraded our morning breakfast which now includes fresh pancakes with tastier eggs! We know that our guests have multiple hotel choices which is why our mission is to provide clean, comfortable rooms that our guests will want to come back to. We are so happy that you liked our hotel so much; I, as well as the rest of our staff really appreciate that you took the time to write this review. We look forward to you staying with us in the future.
Elisa V. Santos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2009

Clean; in a business area but very close to San Diego attractions; Front desk personnel very helpful and friendly; new HI Express upgrades; great breakfast variety; everyone says hello and smiles.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2009

W e stayed at this Holiday Inn during November. From the time I called to inquire about the hotel till we left, we had great service. The young man that answered the phone provided needed information to plan our trip. Sheril, the front desk attendant and breakfast server, provided excellent service. She knew us by name by the next day. The Manager, Ms. Santos, also made sure everyone was well attended. The rooms were large. The beds were comfortable and nice size restroom. Free wi fi was available. It was also quiet. We were there on business so the amenities made our stay enjoyable. This is a great hotel and we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

Free internet and flat screen tv. Very nice and comfortable. Very good services. Wireless internet is slow but the wired internet is great. Good location and next to many restaurants.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
santa clara
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2009

This hotel was booked through Hotwire, so we actually had no choice of hotel...After reading Aug. 2009 review, I was very worried about our stay. We were pleasantly surprised that all negative remarks, were not our experience. We arrived very early @ 3:45 a.m. to a smiling and cordial receptionist. In fact, all personnel we came into contact with, were very pleasant and helpful.
We were with our daughter and her family for a grandson's wedding and had booked 2 rooms, Wed. to Sunday. Both rooms were on 4th floor at opposite ends of hall near stairways. The rooms were clean and quiet. Queen beds were very comfortable. Newspaper at door most every morning. WIFI in room a little slow, but nice addition. Decent continental breakfast. Family enjoyed relaxing in outside hot tub every evening to end our days. Great restaurant across parking lot. Very close to major freeways for easy access to many attractions.
Only complaint, no in room safe.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

Let me first start off by saying that my family and I LOVE the Ichotel chain and stay at the Holiday Inn Express hotels as often as we can when traveling. That is why it is difficult for me to write such a negative review.

RESERVATIONS: Booked 2 rooms on-line using my Priority Club membership. Quick and easy. Requested adjoining rooms for our 2 day stay.

ARRIVAL: Upon our late Friday night arrival, we were greeted by a friendly, if not lonely and overworked young man. When he told us our rooms were on different floors, I asked him if he could please put my parents and us next to one another or at least on the same floor. He advised us that the hotel had been sold out for the weekend and there were no more rooms available.

My first impression of the hotel was that it looked as if HI had purchased the property from another hotel chain as it didn't seem to have the layout of the newer HI hotels.

ROOMS: My parents were in a king room on the 2nd floor. My hubby, teenaged daughter and I were in a 2 queen 4th floor room. We had a room at the very end of the hallway. The minute we stepped into our room, we knew things weren't "right." All 3 of our family members noticed an "off" smell. Something like chemicals. As I headed over to the bed, I noticed that the bed skirt was FILTHY. We looked down and saw what appeared to be a combination of chocolate, blood, white "stuff" (dried milk?) and perhaps body fluids. All of these things were splattered over the entire right side of the bedskirt.
Then we noticed all the dust and the food-smudged dresser tops. It was obvious no one had dusted or cleaned in days.

My husband decided to use the bathrom and when he walked in, found blue spatters all over the toilet seat. Then he noticed the vanity was dirty and sticky. We were appalled, but realized we couldn't move because there were no other rooms available.

After settling in, my husband sat down to get onto the wireless internet. It wasn't working. As we attempted to call down to the front desk, we realized we couldn't. (Though we could call out and to our parents room.) There was no other phone in the room. So, I went downstairs to talk to the front desk and was told that the internet wasn't working AND our phone was broken and they would have it fixed. (Which they never did.)

As we settled into bed, the noise began and we could hear everything...the banging of doors, the people in the next room. The baby crying at 2 a.m. in the morning. Very thin walls.

The next day, we got up to take a shower and it dawned on us that the bathroom vanity was located inside the bathroom which really limited our use. Also, there was no fan, so the bathroom was completely fogged up.

There were the typical HI amenities...blow dryer, shampoo, soap, etc. Plenty of plush towels.

Our beds were fairly comfortable, though one of the top blankets provided had hair all over it.

Our room had a refrigerator and t.v., but no microwave like the other HI hotels where we have stayed. My parents room had no refrigerator or microwave. When I made the reservation, it said they would have a refrigerator since my mom has medication she has to keep cold. She had to keep her meds in our room. No big deal, but rather an inconvenience.

It also got very stuffy at night and there was no window to open. Since the air conditioner was loud, we had to leave it off.

BREAKFAST: The complimentary breakfast was a little disappointing. They had the same menu both days: cereal, bagels, toast, cinnamon rolls, sausage, yogurt, tea, coffee, oj, hard boiled eggs. The bananas were green and the yogurt was the "lite" stuff that tastes fake. All HI hotels I've stayed in have both regular and lite yogurt and more fruit offerings. Also, the coffee ran out and my dad had to take the coffee containers back to the breakfast room staff to get it refilled.

FACILITIES: I used the business center and it was very nice. Fast internet, along with a printer and maybe even a fax? The hotel had a FABULOUS pool and hottub located outside with plenty of seating. However, when we went to get pool towels, they had ran out and we were given small hand towels to use.

This hotel is located in a business district, which I didn't realize when I made the reservation. No problem at all, but there is only 1 restaurant (Chili's) located a few feet from the front of the hotel. So, if you prefer to stay in a more "active" area, this hotel is not suggested.

OVERALL: Housekeeping needs some serious help. We left a note and asked them to change the bedskirt, which they never did.

Also, while we were attending the wedding reception on Saturday, I got a phone call from the hotel desk clerk asking us why we hadn't removed our stuff from our room. I told them it was because we had a reservation for 2 nights. She was very nice, but very confused. After looking us up on their computer, she realized an error had been made and apologized for the inconvenience. I didn't get mad and had to laugh. It just seem to add to the unusual experience we were having at the hotel.

Based on other reviews, I'm wondering if we just had one of those stays where everything goes wrong. However maybe this HI needs some seroius help. Though staff was nice, I won't stay here again when we return for the next family event. At $153 a weekend night, I will go elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Lakewood, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2009

We stayed 2 nights, from June 26-28, in Room #413 at the Sorrento Holiday Inn. Our room couldn't have been better! The fourth floor is newly renovated, with new carpeting, wallpaper, and furnishings. There was a vaulted ceiling at our window, which made the room seem even bigger. The choice of a soft or firm pillow was also nice. The flat-screen TV had 50+ channels, which is unusual for a hotel. The new furniture and carpet was very nice.

The front-desk staff were very helpful! We forgot our toothbrushes, and they had complimentary ones available (as well as toothpaste, razors, etc.). On our last night, we asked if we could store some dinner leftovers in their fridge (no in-room fridge), and they happily obliged.

I used the fitness center on 2 occasions, both at off-peak times, so I was by myself. My only complaint about the hotel might be that the fitness center didn't have an elliptical machine. There are 2 treadmills, an exercise bike, and a weight machine. The TV is first come, first served in the sense that it has a remote, and whomever has that will control what is being watched.

We didn't use the pool/jacuzzi, but it looked nice. We did have free breakfast every morning downstairs. I would say the breakfast was so-so, but since it was free, I can't complain. There is a small selection of hot dishes (changed with each day), cereal, toast, yogurt, cinnamon buns, danishes, and of course coffee and juice. It was definitely a nice way to start the day.

Parking was never a huge problem. The hotel shares its parking lot with a Chili's restaurant (convenient for dinner) and there is another hotel in the same general area, but we found parking spots each night when we returned.

Since we'd only paid $88 a night, we really didn't expect much other than your basic Holiday Inn. What we got was excellent service and a really nice room. We will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Express San Diego-Sorrento Valley? Share your experiences!