“Recommend it!” 4 of 5 stars

1.5 of 5 Hostel   |   726 5th Ave., San Diego, CA 92101 (Downtown)   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Recommend it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

I stayed there for a night. Though, the atmosphere was very convivial and welcoming. You are right in the middle of Gaslamp, which is ideal if wanting to go out without having to pay cab fees.
Another caveat is that it is one remarkable Hostel compare to my past experiences in Europe. My first in the US. The difference is significant and in a very positive way. I hope you will enjoy your time there as much as I did. I certainly is worth your $.
Highly recommend it!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Besides the small size of the hostel dorms this is a good value, clean and friendly hostel. The free pancake breakfast is well worth getting up for and it's location (in the gaslight quarter) cannot be beat. Would recommend this place to anyone I knew spending a few nights in San Diego.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Leuven, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I first stayed here last year, and decided to book another few nights this year. As soon as I walked in I remembered why... This place is so wonderful! Really pretty, very homely yet international. Good beds as well, and you have a lot of privacy thanks to the "wall" with a personal light. They provide free linen and towels if you need one.

The hostel's location was ideal, right in the heart of Gaslamp District and within walking distance from virtually everything. The staff was very helpful too in giving directions or personal recommendations for bars etc. The rooms were decently sized with big lockers and enough space for your bag or suitcase. The privacy pods are amazingly convenient. The free breakfast was great with several kinds of bread and oatmeal and fresh fruit.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

The USA Hostels chain is the hit ! I stayed here in June 2012 for 2 nights. I stayed in the usa hotels in Hollywood before, which I very much liked, so the decision where to stay was easy. When I arrived to check in, the staff asked me right away if I would come to Tijuana, Mexico with a bunch of people an hour after- I did and can only recommend it. One of the staff members was our tour guide for the mexican city, which is only about 20 minutes from the hostel. The hostel itself is located on an excellent spot in downtown san diego. You have acces to everything important within minutes of walking. Its very clean and theres a great atmosphere. I didnt like the staff too much tho, they were arrogant and more relaxed in terms of: I dont care about you or your problems. But anyhow, it was a great stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I immediately decided to stay at this hostel as I have stayed in USA Hostel in Hollywood & San Francisco. You get more privacy in bed, personal light and charge stuff while in bed or in locker (just bring a big lock). This hostel had comfy beds and lots of activities going on and they never were canceled. You must do their Tijuana tour! So much fun and many others that happen, how you meet people who are also travelling solo! It's a smaller hostel than San Francisco and Hollywood but the staff are friendly and sociable. I had a lovely greeting as I checked in, spent my birthday at this hostel and it was the best decision I have ever made .I don't think I can keep saying enough how much of a great time I had at their hostel. I was travelling solo so everyone talked to each other in activities. I was sad to be checking out. If I was to say the downside of this place? There wasn't enough bathrooms. Only three showers and toilets per floor and you would easily have more than 30 people on each floor! At least 4 or 5 six share dorms and a few private rooms seen. So it was a battle for a morning shower, people took night ones to avoid waiting forever.
So people do stay at this hostel you will never be alone. It's in a perfect location (downtown- gaslamp quarter lots of bars), lots of activities to do, staff are all welcoming. Also all you can eat breakfast, so much fruit, all you can eat pancakes, Quaker oatmeal breakfast, tea, coffee and orange even toast. You know you can make sandwich from their bread for a midday snack and save lots of money. I have stayed in hostel where breakfast is terrible and your hungry before lunch has come. I miss this place.
Thank you USA Hostels for making San Diego a pleasant stay xx

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
lancaster
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

The sleeping facilities are fine, if the beds aren't too small for tall people. This is common in most hostels though.

The toilet facilities are poor - nowhere near enough, especially when at around 11am they close half of them.

The location is ideal to make the most of the nightlife of the Gas Lamp area - which is fantastic. However the amount of rules and regulations make this a place for the over 40s. We have actually played Rule Bingo with the various do's and donts lists around the hostel. The total is over 30 - we debate at 40. It does make the place very stifling.

Room Tip: Choose international hostel near little Italy
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

This was my first hostel experience and I actually enjoyed it.I was a little nervous but everything turned out perfectly.I participated in the group activities held nightly.The staff was knowledgeable and very helpful.The people (fellow travelers) were beyond wonderful.I made some pretty awesome friends from all over the world.The hostel is located in the Gaslamp quarter where everything happens.I would highly recommend this hostel to solo travelers,students,backpackers or someone just looking for a refreshing travel experience.If I ever go back to SD,I'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013

Been to USA Hostels San Diego? Share your experiences!