This is a smallish Hilton that feels much more like an independent boutique hotel. It is not the usual huge, multi-towered property, which I have to say I typically do not enjoy. The Hilton Gaslamp is the anti-dote to that.
Check in was quick, friendly and painless. The elevator is easy to find and accessible. Bellmen were friendly and helpful. The rooms are quite nice and well maintained, as were the common areas. We got lucky and enjoyed a corner room, which was bright and just perfect. Everything was in good order and we felt right at home in the well sized space.
The front desk staff are very helpful and friendly, but I did overhear them more than a few times apologize to guests for issues they felt were unsatisfactory. One was that there were additional fees for certain things (wifi, the workout room?). I cannot speak to that, as we booked our trip thru a conference related travel agent and not via an internet discount site. "Read the fine print" is the moral of the story, I suspect.
We had breakfast one morning at the Hilton, and due to being in a hurry we chose the buffet. I am never one to complain about prices, but I did feel the rate was excessive for the offerings which were not as extensive as they should have been. Still, my egg white omelette with fresh vegetables was quite good and the fruit very fresh.
The property is well located to the Convention Center, and there are great restaurants within walking distance. PETCO Field is just around the corner, and two movie theaters also fairly close by. There's a World Market if you need some fun, speciality snacks and beverages, as well as a drug store a few blocks away for emergency supplies. And, again, so many restaurants to choose from in The Gaslamp!
We very much enjoyed the location, the room and the easy service. As there are typically few hotel offered airport shuttles in San Diego, you can either take a taxi or public transportation just outside of the airport terminal. It was so easy with just a few blocks to walk to the hotel, we took the bus both to and from the airport. Only those with minimal luggage will probably appreciate the short bus ride, though.
All in all, a very pleasant stay at a very nice smaller big city hotel.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter Hotel San Diego
- Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter Hotel
- Hilton Hotel San Diego
- Hilton San Diego
- San Diego Hilton
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stylish 12-story Hotel situated in downtown's historic Gaslamp Quarter, adjacent to the bay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hilton Hotels, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Olotels, Priceline, Asiatravel.com Holdings, HotelsClick and Tingo so you can book your Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.