“Great Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #90 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Littleton, North Carolina
“Great Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Very nice hotel in a great location. Entire staff was friendly and the valet crew was great. The hotel put me on a top floor and noise was not a factor. It is a bit expensive in the restaurant and for valet parking but for the location it isn't out of line. There are plenty restaurants and activities as the hotel is in a prime Gaslamp Quarter location. The only detractor is no airport shuttle or I'd give it 5 stars. I'll definitely choose this hotel in the future.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
GMHiltonGaslamp, General Manager at Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Thank you for your four star review of the hotel and high recommendation. I am happy that you had a great stay at the hotel and we truly appreciate your kind comments regarding our friendly staff. We look forward to your next visit to the San Diego area and serving you again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Oceanside, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Well it wasn't my best stay there but I'm going to be 1000% honest miss Tina was a very sweet lady I loved her when I checked in and the Hispanic manager dang I forgot his name but he's the night audit manager they were really pleasant he was sick but still went out of his way to smile and great me only thing I would say is that I missed my flight because due to bad communication which sucked monkey pits but I'd still stay there again and refer it to people just make sure u no there's no shuttle

Room Tip: I would have to say go for a higher floor not facing court yard I loved when I had a corner room fac...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Fayetteville, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This was a nice hotel. The convention center is across a major street and train tracks, but it is close and access is easy. It is in the Gaslamp Quarter, which is a historic part of town with a lot of cool places to eat. It is close to the train tracks and can get noisy. That does not bother me, but I could see how it would bother some. Two packages of ear plugs were in the room. The room was very nice, very clean, had great amenities, the staff was friendly and helpful. If there were any negatives it had to be that the room was dark. I turned on all the lights in the room and it was just dark. I used my Ipad as an additional light looking through my briefcase. The restaurant was high-priced -- which is is expected in a Hilton. However, I found much more affordable eats outside and didn't eat there. My rating of breakfast is based on price, not food quality. Despite those two relatively insignificant things, the room was everything you would expect from a Hilton. Very good.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
GMHiltonGaslamp, General Manager at Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review as we share all guest comments with our staff. The hotel does enjoy a great location and is very convenient to the Convention Center as well as the Gaslamp district and several area attractions. We appreciate your comments on our friendly staff and clean rooms. Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit to San Diego.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

We are in this hotel now and it stinks of sewage. The front desk agrees that this is "unfortunate" but will not assist us in finding other accommodations. They extent of their compensation for putting up with this smell is to not charge us an early departure fee if we can make our own alternate arrangements. Don't come here unless you enjoy the smell of an open sewer.

• Stayed November 2012
We are sorry that you had a disappointing experience during your stay with us. At Hilton, it is our goal to always ensure every guest feels valued and respected from the moment you check-in until you depart. The hotel did experience a problem with the main drain line connection to city services. and this line had to be replaced. The new line was installed same day however did impact the lobby and restaurant areas. The level of service you received during your stay is not typical of our property. Your feedback will help us deliver this brand promise with each guest. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us again.
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Location was great, close to restaurants at gas lamp area, close to marinas, great running along water, close to seaport... The city is just noisy with the rails, ships, traffic. The considerate managers at the hotel do provide ear plugs. The hotel is clean, nicely decorated and the staff was very helpful. Don't expect any hotel on this area of San Diego to be quiet. It really wasn't so bad. I would recommend this hotel and I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a room on the highest level, either 11 or 12.
Durham, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This hotel is close to the cruise piers and the airport. It is clean, well run and friendly. To the down side, they provide earplugs in the room we stayed in because we were on the side where the local trolley runs 24/7. We took the balcony upgrade for $30, what a waste! The balcony is the size of two chairs and overlooks the trolley and the convention center. This is a rip off offered to Hilton Honors members only.

We are beginning to feel that the Hilton hotels are not a good value and are surpassed by their family in the Conrad, Embassy Suites and Hampton Inns groups.

The people in this hotel were really great; the product was not.

Room Tip: Balcony prices are not worth the price
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
.Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post a review of the hotel. Our dynamic location in the Gaslamp district along with several other hotels in the area are adjacent to local transportation hubs and can be quite active. The city of San Diego has approved a "quiet zone" act where safety precautions will be added to track crossings eliminating the need for the trains to sound their horns. This project is ongoing and is scheduled to be completed by the end of November. Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to your next visit to San Diego
San Luis Rey, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Thankfully, I realized that this hotel didn't have the conjoined rooms (with a door between adjacent rooms) just in time to choose this hotel over another. What I didn't realize is that there is only valey parking (about $40/night for overnight guests) so I passed the hotel the first time around thinking there was a garage on the other side. Once we valeted the car and were checked in, everything was smooth sailing from there. The king size bed seemed a bit shorter (length wise) than most beds, but the large widescreen TV and comfy pillows made up for it. The walls are thin and I could hear people at the vending machines up the hall, but at least the hotel provides ear plugs in the room to mitigate the noise. The only annoying thing was that the bathroom door wouldn't stay open without something propping it open. The room was clean, no water pressure/plumbing issues, and I actually considered ordering room service with the decent menu. Our stay was good for one night, which is all we needed.

Room Tip: don't bother with "zip check out"; it didn't work for us, still had to see the fro...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter? Share your experiences!