“Excellent Location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #91 of 268 hotels in San Diego
Dallas, Texas
“Excellent Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

Location could not have been better and the price was right. Gaslamp district a block away. Mini-mart across the street offers everything from breakfast to liquor and everything in between. World Market is nearby and provided all the wine we could drink. Pool is small, but clean and in full sun during the day to keep the water ideal. Workout facility has new equipment and was never crowded. Rooms are spacious and compfrtable for a family of 3. If in San Diego again, I would stay here again.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

956 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Korean first
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

My wife and i recently stayed at the Hilton Gaslamp Quarter Loft Towers and i have to say it was an amazing night. Great location close to all the good clubs and bars. Clean rooms and great room service.This is a location we will stay at again some time soon.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
GMHiltonGaslamp, General Manager at Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you so much for your five star "Incredible" review of the hotel. We truly appreciate you taking the time to post a review and sharing your comments on our new Loft Suites. Thank you also for your kind comments on our clean rooms and great room service food. We look forward to your next visit to San Diego.
Beaumont, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Hotel was in walking distance to Padres baseball field. Pretty nice hotel for a 3.5 star. Clean rooms nice bathroom clean, with nice toiletries. Bar, dining area not so good drinks tooooo expensive and bartender no good sorry but yuck on my 30 dollar Bloody Mary's!!!! Gross. And the service in there was horrible. But besides that I would stay here again in a flash.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post a review as we share all guest comments with our staff. The hotel does enjoy a great location and is very convenient to the Gaslamp district and several area attractions including Petco Park. We appreciate your comments on our clean rooms. I apologize that you did not enjoy the bar experience. We do offer happy hour pricing and dinner specials throughout the week and look forward to serving you to your complete satisfaction on your next visit to San Diego.
Tahoe City, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

My wife and I love visiting San Diego. Since we live in snow country, we've regularly taken January trips to SD to celebrate my birthday in much warmer weather. Our of our prior trips have included dinner one night in the Gaslamp Quarter. This was the first time we decided to stay in the downtown area and this Hilton stay was a nice one.

It was very convenient to stay here one night and use the proximity of the hotel to walk a few minutes up to restaurant we had chosen to dine in.

We ended up with a nice rate and a room to match. However, it didn't start out that way. The room originally assigned didn't meet my wife's desire for views. We were assigned an upper floor and our view was of a portion of the rooftop of other parts of the hotel. A visit to the front desk brought a worker up to our level to show us a couple of other room options. The first one met my wife's approval, it was of the downtown area. The room had a wonderfully compfy bed and was quiet. I'm an earlier riser, even on vacations, and my wife likes to sleep in. This room was somewhat of a mini-suite. I made use of the outer area to sit on the sofa, surf the web, and read the paper.

The only downside to this hotel is the exorbitant valet parking costs. I found a parking garage two blocks away and paid $10 to self-park.

I highly recommend at stay here. We will return on future visits.

Room Tip: We prefer the north-facing rooms with views of the city. South-facing higher-floor rooms, those wit...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Am Hhonors Diamond, frequently in and around SD - decided to stay downtown for once, as room rate was decent and this was nearest my morning meeting.

It's a lovely property, but this review is really intended as a sharp shock to the management. Your employees' attitudes are terrible. The front desk was understaffed at 3:30 p.m. -- a time when your top tier loyalty progam people shouldn't be waiting and waiting. Maryana seemed flustered and put out to leave the back room and check me in - and I got the distinct impression that because I was in a sweater and jeans instead of business attire, I got a second rate level of service and attitude. She also couldn't provide breakfast coupons in a timely manner, and forgot to give me back my credit card. I know it's not her forever job, but the "wish I didn't have to do this" vibe just radiated.

For my entertainment pleasure, your housekeeping staff is currently enjoying themselves yelling in Spanish in the hallway, no doubt about the many empty bottles they're clanking around in the garbage bin.

Those bottles gave me an idea - maybe I'd like a beer! I did notice that you trumpet the (justifiably renowned) local brews in the lobby on several placards - and the in-room dining menu cites Green Flash IPA (great choice). Maybe they'd also have something special on tap? Maybe I'd go down to the bar and order a beer? Or have one sent up?

Or .... who knows, because NO ONE AT YOUR PLACE IS ANSWERING THE PHONE AT FIVE PM. Not when I hit "0;" not when I hit the button for in room dining; not when I try the extension for the bar. NO EXTENSION IS PICKING UP IN THE HOTEL, INCLUDING THE OPERATOR.

You guys are so awesome that you don't even have to answer the phone! Kudos to you for your popularity. However, this is the hospitality industry, not high school, and I wish for more service and fewer reminders that I'm being permitted to bask in the shadow of your greatness.

Sarcasm aside, the attitude with staff (except the valet - who ought to be nice at $40/night parking, shame on you) is terrible.

If you're 55 and bald and wear "slacks," you'll love it. If you're the kind of person who dislikes such establishments, you won't love it. In fact, the regular downtown Hilton and Doubletree are both far superior for you Hhonors folks.

Room Tip: Bring your patience to the front desk - you'll need it!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
GMHiltonGaslamp, General Manager at Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post a review of the hotel. We appreciate this feedback as it allows us to improve our services as we share all reviews with our staff. I apologize that we were not successful in providing you the high level of service we hope to provide every guest, during your stay. We truly value our Diamond members and strive to meet the needs of each individual. We look forward to future opportunities to serve you to your complete satisfaction.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

If you are coming to San Diego to attend an event at the San Diego Convention Center, this is THE place to stay!!
PROs: It is just across the street from the San Diego Convention Center- you can't get any closer. It's bounded on one side by a small park and on the other sides by the famous Gaslamp quarter, complete with dozens of restaurants, shops, and other attractions. Room service is prompt, housekeeping keeps the rooms immaculate, and any in-room assistance is done well and attended to by friendly individuals. The rooms are comfortable, although the beds gave one other person in my group and me a little trouble (softer than what we like) - but the others in our group were quite pleased and comfortable. There is a good selection of TV channels, the bathroom toiletries are nice, and there is always hot water and good water pressure. Overall, we were very pleased. My travel companions also noted that the fitness center and, especially, the outdoor hot tub were great. On top of that, the front desk folks are helpful - best yet, the bell hops go out of there way to help in any way possible (truly, these fellows are very nice).
CONS: The concierge is not that helpful - everytime we needed a taxi, a private driving service was called (because no taxis were available?.?), costing us 2-3 times more than what it should have for every trip we made. That got annoying - although the driving services were impeccable. The foyer stinks - it is so malodorous (smells like a combo of feces and dead things) that one is quick to leave the sitting area if meeting someone there. No one ever answers the internal Guest services line via the button on one's phone (I let it ring over 40 times on numerous occasions), and it can be equally difficult getting anyone to answer at the front desk. Remedy (learned this after 3 days there): call the hotel's phone number, as if you are an outside caller. Someone, ironically, will answer immediately - then have the charges for local calls taken off your bill at the end (as you cannot be charged for using the local call line when no one answers the internal lines after calling many times and letting it ring dozens of times). Other than that, though, when you do reach someone, they are ALWAYS helpful, and pleasant, and ready to ensure that your stay is good. The food is overpriced, and not the best (adequate would be a good way to describe it - although the steak I ordered one night was good); with the gaslamp quarter there, you would be cheating yourself eating "in" anyway - go out and try the myriad of wonderful eateries just outside the door of the hotel.
CONCLUSION: I would highly recommend this hotel if coming for a convention - they are perfectly located, and are very reasonably priced - and will ensure that your stay is good, comfortable, and pleasurable.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room facing the gaslamp district, and not the convention center...just makes for...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post a review as we share all guest comments with our staff. The hotel really is the "perfect" location for convenience to the Convention Center as well as the dynamic Gaslamp district and several area attractions. We appreciate your comments on our friendly staff, prompt room service and immaculate housekeeping. I apologize for any challenges with getting through to our operator on the phones, we will check to make sure everything is working properly and we will review this with our staff. Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit to San Diego.
Plantation, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

Nothing to complain about here. The location itself is perfect! It is right at the edge of the Gaslamp district within walking distance to tons of great restaurants and shopping. Right across from the Convention Center and within walking distance to the boardwalk where you can watch street magicians, a guy with birds, this guy who stacks rocks (I know it sounds strange but its actually really neat. He precariously balances rocks of varying shapes and sizes into 6 foot tall towers). The boardwalk is also a great place to watch the sunset. The pool is relatively small and so is the hot tub but it worked for us. The hotel is right next to the train tracks and they provide you with ear plugs and I was nervous when I first saw them because I am a light sleeper... But my boyfriend and I never used them and never heard the trains and we had a room pretty close to the tracks.

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you so much for your five star "Awesome" review of the hotel. We truly appreciate you taking the time to post a review as we share all guest comments with our staff. The hotel does enjoy a great location and is very convenient to the Gaslamp district as well as Petco park and several area attractions. We appreciate your comments concerning our perfect location. We look forward to your next visit to San Diego.

Been to Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter? Share your experiences!