“Lovely hotel, but comically poor service mars the experience” 2 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   401 K Street, San Diego, CA 92101   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #91 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Lovely hotel, but comically poor service mars the experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Am Hhonors Diamond, frequently in and around SD - decided to stay downtown for once, as room rate was decent and this was nearest my morning meeting.

It's a lovely property, but this review is really intended as a sharp shock to the management. Your employees' attitudes are terrible. The front desk was understaffed at 3:30 p.m. -- a time when your top tier loyalty progam people shouldn't be waiting and waiting. Maryana seemed flustered and put out to leave the back room and check me in - and I got the distinct impression that because I was in a sweater and jeans instead of business attire, I got a second rate level of service and attitude. She also couldn't provide breakfast coupons in a timely manner, and forgot to give me back my credit card. I know it's not her forever job, but the "wish I didn't have to do this" vibe just radiated.

For my entertainment pleasure, your housekeeping staff is currently enjoying themselves yelling in Spanish in the hallway, no doubt about the many empty bottles they're clanking around in the garbage bin.

Those bottles gave me an idea - maybe I'd like a beer! I did notice that you trumpet the (justifiably renowned) local brews in the lobby on several placards - and the in-room dining menu cites Green Flash IPA (great choice). Maybe they'd also have something special on tap? Maybe I'd go down to the bar and order a beer? Or have one sent up?

Or .... who knows, because NO ONE AT YOUR PLACE IS ANSWERING THE PHONE AT FIVE PM. Not when I hit "0;" not when I hit the button for in room dining; not when I try the extension for the bar. NO EXTENSION IS PICKING UP IN THE HOTEL, INCLUDING THE OPERATOR.

You guys are so awesome that you don't even have to answer the phone! Kudos to you for your popularity. However, this is the hospitality industry, not high school, and I wish for more service and fewer reminders that I'm being permitted to bask in the shadow of your greatness.

Sarcasm aside, the attitude with staff (except the valet - who ought to be nice at $40/night parking, shame on you) is terrible.

If you're 55 and bald and wear "slacks," you'll love it. If you're the kind of person who dislikes such establishments, you won't love it. In fact, the regular downtown Hilton and Doubletree are both far superior for you Hhonors folks.

Room Tip: Bring your patience to the front desk - you'll need it!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
GMHiltonGaslamp, General Manager at Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post a review of the hotel. We appreciate this feedback as it allows us to improve our services as we share all reviews with our staff. I apologize that we were not successful in providing you the high level of service we hope to provide every guest, during your stay. We truly value our Diamond members and strive to meet the needs of each individual. We look forward to future opportunities to serve you to your complete satisfaction.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

If you are coming to San Diego to attend an event at the San Diego Convention Center, this is THE place to stay!!
PROs: It is just across the street from the San Diego Convention Center- you can't get any closer. It's bounded on one side by a small park and on the other sides by the famous Gaslamp quarter, complete with dozens of restaurants, shops, and other attractions. Room service is prompt, housekeeping keeps the rooms immaculate, and any in-room assistance is done well and attended to by friendly individuals. The rooms are comfortable, although the beds gave one other person in my group and me a little trouble (softer than what we like) - but the others in our group were quite pleased and comfortable. There is a good selection of TV channels, the bathroom toiletries are nice, and there is always hot water and good water pressure. Overall, we were very pleased. My travel companions also noted that the fitness center and, especially, the outdoor hot tub were great. On top of that, the front desk folks are helpful - best yet, the bell hops go out of there way to help in any way possible (truly, these fellows are very nice).
CONS: The concierge is not that helpful - everytime we needed a taxi, a private driving service was called (because no taxis were available?.?), costing us 2-3 times more than what it should have for every trip we made. That got annoying - although the driving services were impeccable. The foyer stinks - it is so malodorous (smells like a combo of feces and dead things) that one is quick to leave the sitting area if meeting someone there. No one ever answers the internal Guest services line via the button on one's phone (I let it ring over 40 times on numerous occasions), and it can be equally difficult getting anyone to answer at the front desk. Remedy (learned this after 3 days there): call the hotel's phone number, as if you are an outside caller. Someone, ironically, will answer immediately - then have the charges for local calls taken off your bill at the end (as you cannot be charged for using the local call line when no one answers the internal lines after calling many times and letting it ring dozens of times). Other than that, though, when you do reach someone, they are ALWAYS helpful, and pleasant, and ready to ensure that your stay is good. The food is overpriced, and not the best (adequate would be a good way to describe it - although the steak I ordered one night was good); with the gaslamp quarter there, you would be cheating yourself eating "in" anyway - go out and try the myriad of wonderful eateries just outside the door of the hotel.
CONCLUSION: I would highly recommend this hotel if coming for a convention - they are perfectly located, and are very reasonably priced - and will ensure that your stay is good, comfortable, and pleasurable.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room facing the gaslamp district, and not the convention center...just makes for...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post a review as we share all guest comments with our staff. The hotel really is the "perfect" location for convenience to the Convention Center as well as the dynamic Gaslamp district and several area attractions. We appreciate your comments on our friendly staff, prompt room service and immaculate housekeeping. I apologize for any challenges with getting through to our operator on the phones, we will check to make sure everything is working properly and we will review this with our staff. Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit to San Diego.
Plantation, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

Nothing to complain about here. The location itself is perfect! It is right at the edge of the Gaslamp district within walking distance to tons of great restaurants and shopping. Right across from the Convention Center and within walking distance to the boardwalk where you can watch street magicians, a guy with birds, this guy who stacks rocks (I know it sounds strange but its actually really neat. He precariously balances rocks of varying shapes and sizes into 6 foot tall towers). The boardwalk is also a great place to watch the sunset. The pool is relatively small and so is the hot tub but it worked for us. The hotel is right next to the train tracks and they provide you with ear plugs and I was nervous when I first saw them because I am a light sleeper... But my boyfriend and I never used them and never heard the trains and we had a room pretty close to the tracks.

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you so much for your five star "Awesome" review of the hotel. We truly appreciate you taking the time to post a review as we share all guest comments with our staff. The hotel does enjoy a great location and is very convenient to the Gaslamp district as well as Petco park and several area attractions. We appreciate your comments concerning our perfect location. We look forward to your next visit to San Diego.
Boston, MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel in the past and loved it, however this trip was not as enchanting. We always book the loft rooms which are huge with high ceilings and a delightful sense of having your own studio in the middle of the gaslamp district. This trip the hotel seemed to have gotten very 'tired'. The mattress was a disgrace with no support whatsoever. We had just left a Marriott in San Francisco with a delightful sleep experience at a lower cost than this room. Housekeeping was challenged; we never had our soap refreshed (guess you are supposed to use the old sticky one in the shower) and twice they left dirty glasses without refreshing them. The bottled water was not replaced. Most of the jets in the jacuzzi in the room didn't work. These rooms cost between $300.00 - $500.00 a night. No new soap????
We went out to use the pool one day and there were cigarette butts on the tiles.
While my prior review of this Hilton gave it rave reviews, I am sorry to say this stay was not at all up to expectations.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post a review of the hotel. We appreciate this feedback as it allows us to improve our services as we share all reviews with our staff. I apologize that you had some issues with the replenishment of your in room amenities as noted in the review. Our housekeeping staff normally receives high marks on our guest feedback channels and this is not typical of the high standards that we strive for. Our bedding package is a Hilton standard and we have Serta pillow top mattress sets in all of our guest rooms. We will be sure to inspect the room you were in and ensure that all standards are in place for the future. We look forward to future opportunities to serve you to your complete satisfaction.
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Took the family to San Diego for a summer get away and we decided to stay someplace different this time and chose the Renaissance SD Gaslamp Quarter. This was our first time staying here, but overall, the hotel and the experience were for the most part, top notch. Upon arrival to the hotel, you have to valet park your vehicle, which is pretty much standard for staying downtown anywhere in Cali (Anywhere nice anyway). So, that was par for the course. But, I will say the valet staff were always pleasent, they were there to greet you when you pulled in, and, they always offered water for my entire family, which I thought was a nice touch.

Now, this is a high-rise hotel in the heart of SD located very close to Petco Park where the Padres play, but we stayed on a non-game weekend. When we entered the hotel, it was very clean and the staff were very nice and helpful. We had a double double room with an adjoining room for our daughter and her boyfriend. The rooms were clean and spacious and the beds were comy, albeit small. Why they don't use queen beds versus double beds is beyond me. The rooms also didn't have a mini fridge or a microwave and for these reasons, I could not rate this hotel 5 stars.

However, when it comes to location, it was right there at the doorstep of the Gaslamp Quarter, which is where we did most of our eating and walking to, set aside from the beach or boating that we did. This hotel was close to everything we needed; food, shopping, entertainment, etc. Our hotel room overlooked the pool area and outside sitting area, but the pool was nothing special as it was small and although it was not always crowded inside the pool, it was crowded around the pool as everyone wanted to sun bathe so, seating was a tad problematic.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel for quality, price and definitely the location, and, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
RoadTripper504
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

First, the parking complaint. Yeah it's about $40 and valet-mandatory to do it at the hotel but with good reason, the hotel is locked in by train tracks and old buildings so there is no extra space on site. There were two simple solutions, there are at least 3 parking garages/lots within a few blocks that cost $8-12 for the night or if you're renting a car then don't rent until the next morning and grab a cab from the airport ($15) and walk to the car rental the next morning - 3 easy miles along the harbor to the airport car services and there are closer satelite places in the Gaslamp area.

As for the hotel, well located and decently clean but it could use some new wall paper and carpeting in areas. Great shower water pressure. Our room was silent, 54? which looked to the inside courtyard. The front desk was helpful and friendly. Overall a good place to stop through if you're in town for a night and want to jump around Gaslamp.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post a review of the hotel. The hotel does enjoy a great location and is very convenient to the Gaslamp district as well as Petco park and several area attractions. The Hotel is scheduled for some upgrades in the beginning of 2013 that will give our common areas a nice refresh. We appreciate your comments on our helpful and friendly staff and look forward to your next visit to San Diego.
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is the typical Hilton property, nice large rooms, friendly staff, and up to date amenities. Location is absolutely perfect is you are looking to be downtown in the gaslamp quarter. You are literally at the entrance to the gaslamp, endless restaurants, bars, and shops. Even with all that said, hotel is quiet and noise free. As far as downtown hotels in san Diego, this provides a good value as well. Clean, typical Hilton property and one of the relatively cheaper options downtown.

• Stayed September 2012
GMHiltonGaslamp, General Manager at Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review as we share all guest comments with our staff. The hotel does enjoy a great location and is very convenient to the Convention Center as well as the dynamic Gaslamp district and several area attractions. We appreciate your comments on our nice, large rooms, friendly staff and up to date amenities. Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit to San Diego.

Been to Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter? Share your experiences!