“Great deal, tiny room” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada Gaslamp/Convention Center

You added Ramada Gaslamp/Convention Center to your Saves list
Ramada Gaslamp/Convention Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   830 6th Avenue, San Diego, CA 92101 (Formerly Hotel St. James)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead, Save 15%
Ranked #161 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Everett, Washington
“Great deal, tiny room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

For the last minute situation it was a great fit, right downtown in the middle of the great nightlife. The staff was very friendly but one had a tie that was falling apart which describes the hotel quite well as it was also rundown. The room was tiny and the bathroom didn't even have a door that closed all the way leaving a peep hole which is awkward.

Stayed July 2014

Phoenix AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Very cool old hotel,our stay included july fourth holiday . the vantage point from the rooftop patio is spectacular for the big bay boom .The hotel is very old , however it has been updated but not to the point of taking away the charm. the elevators are slow and awkward to negotiate, just gives you an opportunity to hold a door for a lady in my eyes.we had a room on the front side of the hotel , the revelers below were tolerable with windows open and unheard with windows closed and a/c on. Brians 24 is not to be missed . only downside is the cost of parking $20.00 per day.

Room Tip: rooms at the front of the hotel have the best views!!!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I'd first like to state that the staff at the Ramada Gaslamp is outstanding, totally helpful, and very friendly. Second, the rooms we stayed in were immaculately clean. The beds are very comfortable. This hotel is 101 years old, and well situated, in the Gaslamp district, surrounded by excellent restaurants, and an easy walk to the convention center and waterfront. Because the hotel is so old, it does not your standard sterile, cookie cutter rooms or hallways. Floors are a little creaky, the rooms old fashioned. The pressed tin ceilings are charming and probably original to the hotel.

Many people have mentioned the elevators. They are tiny, slow, and bit creaky. They, too, are 101 years old, which is sort of cool, sort of scary. You have to open a brass door and pull back a safety cage, which is pretty awkward if you have luggage. Still, it has a bit of charm.

My husband and I were part of a group who were in town for a large convention. The person who reserved our rooms went by the photos on the website which are accurate for the room pictured, but not all the rooms. We were originally given Room 620. Do NOT accept Room 620. When you make your reservation, refuse to let them give you Room 620. It is a tiny kennel. A pipe runs through one corner, the window is blocked half way up so you cannot see out, which coupled with the size, makes it completely claustrophobic. The bathroom is literally about three feet wide, and I am NOT exaggerating. The shower is so tiny it is like trying to shower in a test tube. I actually had to turn around and around to get wet. The room is shabbily furnished. One of the nightstands is the security safe. And worse yet, we were charged the same rate as our friends, who had much larger, better rooms. I am not an overly picky person but I have stayed in youth hostels that were better. My husband and I immediately went to the front desk and explained that the room simply was not acceptable. The night manager was really sympathetic and helpful. It was Saturday night and the hotel was completely booked, but he advised us to speak to the day manager the following day about being moved to a new room. So we slept the first night in the kennel. The bed was very comfortable.

The following morning my husband went off to the convention and I worked with the staff to get into a new room. One of the bellhop/valets brought up a cart and quickly loaded up our luggage and we went up to the top floor. He was very friendly and helpful. When I opened the door to the new room, 1020 my jaw dropped. It is the second best suite in the hotel! It was huge, with a nice sitting area, a huge kitchen (with no pots, pans, dishes, or silverware, however. Very odd), a huge bathroom with a whirlpool tub and a shower, and a comfortable bedroom with another very comfortable bed. And windows!!! with a lovely view of the waterfront and convention center. I have to say, the furnishings are a bit shabby, and the carpet is quite old, but it was a great suite, and probably seemed even better due to the room we'd initially been given.

You can go up to the roof for a spectacular view of the city. There are lots of tables to sit at. The floor underfoot is uneven and spongy in places.

So as I said, a mixed bag, but I can't say enough good about the staff. They were great and certainly did all they could to make us comfortable, and the day manager more than made up for the first room. My advice to the hotel owners is to stop renting 620, and any other rooms like it in the hotel. They will only hurt your reputation. Or charge very little for them and make it clear they are not the best rooms in the house. The furnishing also are very much in need of an upgrade. But both rooms we had were very clean, with lots of towels in the bathroom and the option to hang them up and save water, which I always appreciate.

Room Tip: Don't accept Room 620 under any circumstance.
Green Features: Much appreciated. There's no need to have the towels laundered every day
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Lbf59
Akron, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

We recently stayed at this hotel and we had a nice experience. The staff, especially Matthew at the front desk, was very friendly and even offered advice on places to visit while in San Diego. Additionally, the views from the hotel's rooftop were amazing, and having a 24/7 restaurant attached to the hotel -- with room service -- only added to it. This location is also conveniently located right in downtown San Diego and you can walk anywhere. On the other hand, the rooms were quite small and the shower was a little tight on space as well; but with that said, the hotel stayed true to its old-world charm and we would stay here again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Palm Springs, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

I stayed here 4 days ago for the first time. The elavators are very very old and have a metal cage which slammed shut on my wrist which also caused my to spill the hot coffee i had in my hand all over myself.I instantly started crying from the pain and one of the hotel employees saw the whole thing happen and didnt seem surprised so I am assuming people get hurt using the elavator often. The employee that saw it said there manager was Off till the following day and someone would call me and the next day I called to find out manager still wasnt there.Its been 4 days and no one called me from ramada. I have a large bruise and felt like I fractured my wrist. Beware of the dangerous elavators and poor customer service. The only thing I liked about this place was the location

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Recently I stayed at the hotel for a conference. It is in a very convenient location close to restaurant and convention center. For the price I paid, it was a good deal because I could not find other hotels in waling distance to the convention center at lower than $250/night.
The stay was OK. The room was small, but staff were friendly. However it was very noisy especially the last night (Thursday night). I woke many times because of the noise from the street until 3-4am. Also the internet connection was very slow and sometimes unbearable, which made it challenging for a business trip.

Room Tip: do not have tips
Green Features: practices are OK. I did not pay much attention but seemed to be OK. do not know why I need to type 50 words here.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

The room was clean, housekeeping and the front desk staff were all above excellent! The room was in disrepair however, and the shower head needed replacing, tile in the bathroom were chipped, it was unsightly. I expected a small room and that's what I got. I didn't think the elevators were as slow as everyone complains. The night before I arrived though, there was a bar fight right on the corner where someone was killed. If you have the money, opt for a safer part of town. Lots of electrical outlets available though if you need to plug in.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the elevators. I felt sorry for those rooms located right out side the elevato...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business