“Really Close to Everything, but Expensive and Tiny” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada Gaslamp/Convention Center

You added Ramada Gaslamp/Convention Center to your Saves list
Ramada Gaslamp/Convention Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   830 6th Avenue, San Diego, CA 92101 (Formerly Hotel St. James)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #167 of 270 Hotels in San Diego

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Korean first
Rancho Santa Margarita, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We stayed at the Ramada Gaslamp this February while visiting the Gaslamp Quarter and Sea World. The decor of the hotel itself is charming and historical. If you get a standard one bedroom queen, it's relatively small. Fits the essentials: Queen bed, stand up shower, toilet, sink in the room (not in the bathroom, which is kind of odd), and flat screen TV, and small closet. But if your not looking for anything extravagant this is a great place to stay and comfortable. We had a one queen room the first night and when our friends came the 2nd night we switched to a 2 Queen room which was a little more roomy. The 2 Beds have their individual rooms which is kind of cool if maybe traveling with 2 couples. I would have to say for the location and price this hotel is definitely worth it. We paid $139 for the 2 bedroom (booked it 2 nights before). Keep in mind you do have to pay $20/day for Valet parking (unlimited ins and outs). Not sure where you would park if you didn't valet. We did see several parking lots and parking structures charging $15-$25/night, so you might as well valet for the convenience. The one negative experience we had was the toilet overflowed one night and the sink was clogged as well. Not sure how effective the plumbing is, we didn't shove a whole bunch of toilet paper or anything crazy in there. Also the water heater is in the room and was making a loud kind of steaming/banging kind of noise in the nights/mornings. We didn't hear it in the afternoon times, just at night and mornings, which is annoying when you're a light sleeper. My boyfriend didn't notice until I pointed it out to him, so maybe I'm just a particularly light sleeper.

Location is great. You are literally within walking distance of all the bars/clubs in the area. Both nights I was wearing heels and had no achey feet. If you are planning on going to Sea World ike we did it was a short (maybe 10 min or less) drive. The convention center was maybe a 10 min walk just down the street and Petco Park was also very close.

What stood out overall to me was the staff. Entire front desk (day & night) crew were very friendly, helpful, and seemed geniunely enthusiastic to make your stay an overall great experience. Would definitely stay here again just based on the great customer service. If you're looking for the no frills kind of hotel that allows you to walk anywhere you need to go, with a bargain price, this is definitely a place to check out.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
victorleeSanDiego, Public Relations Manager at Ramada Gaslamp/Convention Center, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear guest, Thank you for the kinds words . You ended up in one of our famous double/doubles rooms ,two separate bedrooms sharing one bathroom . Great for couples because as it's almost like two rooms for the price of one . We have 22 of these rooms . Our parking is the lowest downtown price down town, if you stayed at the hotel just to the north of us you would have paid $36 for parking , just to the south of us and you would have paid $35 a night for parking . Street parking is next to impossible to find on the weekends and surface parking lots would have been blocks away ,cost about the same with no in and out. So all in all you did the right thing on all aspects of your stay. We hope to see you again. Thanks for your support.
Elkhart, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I'm actually surprised at myself for not rating this one tick worse than I did, but overall it wasn't a terrible stay. I'll point out the good before the bad. Free hotel shuttle service is provided and their drivers are very cordial. My experience during my 4 day stay was that every member of the staff (including housekeeping) that I met, was very helpful and friendly. Lobby area, although not huge, was very inviting and gave me a good first impression. I arrived a bit early and the host offerred to store my bags until the room was ready. He said it would be about half an hour so I had a quick lunch next door and when I returned, it was indeed ready.Although this hotel is 100 years old (literally), the hallways and common areas have been updated and kept up very nicely. Rooms (at least mine) are very small but adequately furnished. There is a rooftop terrace that is quite relaxing to go and view the city while relaxing. The large flat screen TV worked well and channels were multiple. Now for the bad. As the hotel advertises, the elevators are original to the early 1900's and as such, are interestingly frustrating. To access, you have to manually open a door, slide the cage screen back and then read a book while it takes you on the slow extended ride to your floor. The beds in the rooms are "extremely" firm. If that is to your liking, you will sleep well. In my case however, my back was less than happy. If you value sleeping in remote solitude, please, please bring earplugs. I have stayed in places with paper thin walls before, but this puts them all to shame. I had the pleasure of being next to a couple that, I'm convinced, their only reason for being in that place in time was to copulate 24/7 while voicing their excitement not in a quiet manner. Needless to say, I had the honor of listening to this as if they were laying next to me. The shower stall (no bathtub) is adequate for someone of approximately 100 pounds or less. But at 6'2" and 300 pounds, it was an experience. Although it was only in the upper 60's while I was there, there were times I needed to turn on the window A/C unit to cool the room down a bit. It made funny noises and didn't appear to be putting out much cool air, so I turned it off and survived. The restaurant next door (Brian's 24, which I will review under a seperate listing) provides room service for the hotel. I utilized room service once during my stay and found the order taker very friendly and the speed of delivery better than average. As my opening statement said, I probably could have rated the place a little lower than I did, but surprisingly I had a decent stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on lower floors will save you from the extended travel times via the antiquated elevators. I w...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
victorleeSanDiego, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Gaslamp/Convention Center, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review , yes we do have a great location, with a friendly accommodating staff , our restaurant is one of the most popular in the Gaslamp . All out beds a queen size Sealy posturepedic Setra Sleeper's . some rooms only have shower stalls ,some have jacuzzi tubs . The elevators (as may have been mentioned in one of two past reviews) are small and slow .
thank you for your support and we hope to see you again very soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

If you want a funky hotel, this is the place! Location is excellent. Noise level on the weekend can be bad as every drunk in town is in the gaslamp district, but I love this place. It reminds me of living in downtown SF. There is a bar/restaurant 24/7 with great history! Joan Crawford danced on the bar when it was in her house. The elevator is the original. I'm glad they kept it running.
This hotel won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I will always stay there when I'm in San Diego!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
victorleeSanDiego, Public Relations Manager at Ramada Gaslamp/Convention Center, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Guest ,
I couldn't have summed it up better myself. Thank's for your support.

Been to Ramada Gaslamp/Convention Center? Share your experiences!