“Terrible Hotel” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada Gaslamp/Convention Center

You added Ramada Gaslamp/Convention Center to your Saves list
Ramada Gaslamp/Convention Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   830 6th Avenue, San Diego, CA 92101 (Formerly Hotel St. James)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #169 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
St. Paul
“Terrible Hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2007

I stayed at this hotel for two nights on business and would say to anyone DO NOT STAY HERE. In a few words, there was actual vomit in the corner by the elevator that was there for not an hour or two, but a day. The Westin a two block walk away was the same price but because I was booked through work, I sucked it up and stayed there. The rooms were small and smelly (a colleague stayed on a separate floor and reported the same experience, minus the vomit). Please, do yourself a favor and avoid this hotel.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Korean first
San Clemente, Ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2007

I read some of the poor reviews so I didn’t know what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised by a clean room and nice staff. I received a call shortly after entering the room to make sure everything in the room was satisfactory.
Yes, everyone, the parking is $18, wow that's not a big deal in any downtown/metro area I've been to. Try parking in Miami, its $50, LA is $30. I was happy to have unlimited valet for $18, that is a good price for parking. Yes the rooms are small, good for a romantic couple, probably not good for your whole family to shack up in one room. The rooms are clean, and have high ceilings. The elevators are slow, but they are neat (old loft style with a cage). Apparently, when the hotel was built in 1913, they were the fastest elevators in the world and people came from all over to marvel at their speed. Hahah, they are really slow, but again, interesting and very cool if you enjoy antique construction.

Stayed October 2007
jodle77
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2007

Chose to stay at the Ramada in the Gaslamp Quarter due to its great location and affordable price. Absolutely loved the experience. The rooftop patio has great views, staff was friendly and helpful, and the room was comfortable and clean. Would love to stay here again and would suggest to friends.

Stayed October 2007
Madison, WI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2007

Chose this hotel as an affordable place to stay in the Gaslamp Quarter and I'll never go cheap again! I heard a strange rustling in the bathroom and when I opened the shower curtain, I found about 100 little cockroaches crawling around!! Although they did move me to a different room, I received no credits, no refunds and no apologies after many desperate attempts to get something. The historic charm of this hotel did not make up for the most disgusting experience I have ever had while on the road.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2007

I was really disappointed with how rude the front desk staff was. I expected a much better experience with the Ramada name. My hotel key didn't work the first time (not a big deal, that's happened at other hotels too) so I lugged two suitcases in the tiny elevator back down to the front desk. Then my second set of keys didn't work either. I found a phone in the 5th floor hallway and asked if a bellboy or someone could bring a third set of keys up so I didn't have to make the trip with the suitcases again. I was told no, I would have to return to the lobby. Luckily, my third set of keys worked, but there was no apology given. In fact, it was almost the opposite, like I was inconveniencing THEM!! The room was TINY, not like the picture showed on their website. The shower dripped all night and there was a really strange smell in the hallway. We did like the bar/restaurant attached to the hotel. That was a perk. But we didn't like it enough to ever stay there again! We will not be returning to this hotel.

• Liked — The bar next door!
  • Disliked — The rude staff and the gate on the elevator
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2007

My husband and I go to San Diego every year for the Comic Con. This year, we decided to splurge and stay at a 'nice' hotel. Oh, how surprised were we?!
First off, the only parking option is valet, for $18 per night. No self-parking is available at the property. So we had to unload all of our bags within the 3 minutes that the curbside parking allowed before we checked in.
Then, the elevator...I'm sure it is very quaint and I do appreciate historical sites. But when you're exhausted and just want to get to your room, waiting for the slowest elevator still in operation is just too much. Also, several times the elevator smelled of urine. You could not fit more than 4 people in one car, and you needed three hands to open the two doors to get in our out, or risk getting fingers cut off by the slamming doors, or valuables smashed.
The room itself was also very disappointing. It was one of the smallest rooms I'd ever stayed in, and quite below the quality of the Motel 6 we had stayed at only a day before. There was almost no room to move around the bed...the tv stand/dresser was right at the foot of the bed, and a window and wall were on one side. (And between the bed and wall was a bag of baby wipes that I'm assuming was left by the previous visitor, which speaks volumes about the housekeeping...)
Since the hotel is right above a streetful of nightclubs, sleeping was a bit problematic, though I can't really blame the hotel for that. But we were on the 8th floor, so I can't imagine what someone on the 1st floor was hearing.
The bathroom was rather grungy, but the main complaint was that there was no way to take a bath, as there was no way of stopping the water.
The 'free wifi' didn't work, despite the directions left in the room. There were several 'ramada' networks available to connect to, and none of them worked on my laptop that I regularly use with wifi connections.

I was just expecting better for $220 per night (not including taxes and parking fee). We stayed one night in San Diego at a Motel 6 that was right by an airport and train, and it was still a better experience than the Ramada.

Stayed July 2006
Chardon, OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2007

If you do your research ahead of time, you'd know that this is a old hotel with small rooms. They are pretty clean and look updated. For the great location and relatively low price, it's a good place to stay. Had no noise problems even on Saturday night, elevators weren't as slow as everyone says. Restaurant next door is great and cheap for breakfast - we walked everywhere and couldn't find someplace better. Definitely check out the roof - better yet, walk to Ralph's grocery 3-4 blocks away first and grab some adult beverages and snacks to take up there.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — room size
  • Stayed June 2007
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Ramada Gaslamp/Convention Center? Share your experiences!