“Newly renovated - great place to stay in the area” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #124 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Waterdown, Ontario, Canada
“Newly renovated - great place to stay in the area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Well, despite reading a few reviews that suggested this property was tired and subpar for a Courtyard Marriott, I was a bit apprehensive about staying here. The experience was anything but worthy of concern.

On arrival, after a long flight from Canada, I wanted an efficient check in with a comfortable room. Melissa (the desk clerk on duty) was very friendly and got things sorted out in minutes. I had asked for synthetic pillows when making the reservations and was assured that this was taken care of. Complimentary WiFi was offered. The room was spacious, with the older style outside wall A/C but it held the temperature set digitally and was very quiet on sleep mode.

Breakfast was in the Bistro which has cooked meals as well as Starbucks Coffee. I wasn't sure it was actually part of the actual hotel but there was no problem putting meals on the room account. For ~12 plus tip, the cooked breakfast with OJ was delicious. Service with a smile in a spacious dining area that has an outdoor area with sun protection is what I'd expect in a Marriott. This was much better than many Courtyard properties I've stayed at.

The pool was clean but became a little crowded later in the day. There is a hot tub, but I'm not sure who might use it in the typical San Diego Sunshine! :)

The property is adjacent to manicured grounds (Webb Park) with a large pond including ducks and turtles. There is also a nice Veterans Memorial in the park.

Being 25 minutes away from the airport on an early Saturday morning makes this a little out of the way to Old Town or the Gas Light District, but for business, I will certainly stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Carl A, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Rancho Bernardo, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Thank you for your review of the Courtyard by Marriott at Rancho Bernardo! I especially appreciate your mention of the service that Melissa offered at check-in. We are very proud to have her as a member of our team.

As you noted, we have recently renovated and are happy to offer our guests an outstanding product to go along with the great service that our staff provides. The addition of the Bistro and Starbucks coffee service has been very popular with our guests and I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience. We hope you'll visit us the next time you are in the Rancho Bernardo area!

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Easy to find, no problem with parking, clean and good service. Close to restaurants, grocery stores to stock up on food for the long days at the park. Near RB Community Park. Plus mini frig and a microwave.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Courtyard by Marriott at Rancho Bernardo! We are the proud hosts of many sports teams throughout the year and take great pride in providing a friendly and relaxing atmosphere to allow team members to relax while they are off the field. Thanks again for taking the time to review our hotel. We look forward to hosting your team again!
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Clean, comfy room, let down by being right beside the freeway, with a single glazed window. Noisy air-conditioning too, so either hot & kept awake by the traffic, or cool but kept awake by the air conditioning. Average 'restaurant'.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Carl A, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Rancho Bernardo, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for sharing your experience at the Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Rancho Bernardo.

In your review you mentioned that you had difficulty sleeping during your stay. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your expectations. Our goal is to address your concerns to the best of our abilities so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.

We hope to serve you again in the future. If I may be of assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact me.
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Courtyard was better than I thought. We are visiting San Diego for my daughter's birthday and she wanted to go zipline. I looked for a place to stay and the courtyard by mariott was available :-) I didn't know what to expect; bit was delighted to find it clean, comfy and friendly staff. There was a bit of a line that seemed to take much to long. Everything else was great!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your birthday visit at the Courtyard by Marriott at Rancho Bernardo. Our close proximity to the San Diego Zoo Safari Park and it's awesome zip-line makes us a popular choice for a lot of their visitors. Thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott at Rancho Bernardo! We hope you'll come visit again soon!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

My mom was in a handicap room. The hallway to the room had stairs. Ramp was down around the corner. Our rooms air conditioner keeps shutting off. No free reg.coffee! I never buy starbucks. The room had the small pot with black cups! Hint..I never drink from a black coffee cup! Is it clean? Breakfast $10.00. Buffet! No thank you! I do think all courtyards are this way..this franchisee is misguided

• Stayed June 2014
Carl A, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Rancho Bernardo, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations.

The Courtyard by Marriott brand introduced a new food and beverage outlet called The Bistro several years ago and most hotels have adopted this model. We offer Starbucks coffee drinks and a variety of cook to order breakfast and dinner menu items. While we no longer offer a buffet, the selection and quality of the Bistro has received mostly positive feedback from guests.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if there is anything I can do to convince you to give us a try the next time you are in our area.
Apple Valley, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

This hotel is absolutely beautiful. The grounds are very well kept, and even though it's by the freeway you don't hear it inside. Everyone was very nice and polite, the pool looked nice but we didn't use it. Breakfast was pretty expensive but good. Only downside was our bed wasn't very comfortable at all, rather hard actually.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your review of the Courtyard by Marriott at Rancho Bernardo. We appreciate your feedback and the time you took to share your experience with others. We hope to see you again!
Hampton, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

Overall nice hotel. Very clean. Staff was very nice. The pool and surrounding area was clean. Within walking distance of very nice restaurants. Downfall is it is directly beside the freeway. I would stay here again. I almost forgot to mentione, when the phone rep from Marriott helped to book my stay, she booked two nights, then used my free rewards for the 3rd night. Because of this, I was told the 2nd night that I would have to pack up and move to another room. That didn't happen.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Rancho Bernardo? Share your experiences!