“Too many negatives” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #121 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
San Jose, California
“Too many negatives”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I have now stayed at this hotel three separate times. Each for approx. 3 days each so I have a good view of the hotel.

Location to my business: excellent
Parking: Too tight - waiting for an accident
Check-in: excellent - very friendly
Hallways - lobby: average
Room: WiFi very slow / Desk setup is average / TV is fair - not enough channels and poor room location

Bed is very uncomfortable with obvious wear spots. (Dips and humps)

Air Conditioner is loud and inconsistent. More than once I have witnessed maintenance hauling broken units off of the elevator.

Bathroom: Water pressure is very good. Shower head is aimed at my chest in every room I have been assign (three different rooms). All tile in tub has surface mold in the grout.

Breakfast: Courtyard has adopted this unorthodox breakfast area where you order and from a counter as in McDonalds and the meal is brought to you I usually sat on a large couch. The meals are VERY GOOD and of pretty good value. Again - very nice people. Every day they are running 10-15 minutes late opening the service.

Came back to my room tonight and the room had not been serviced - no - the do not disturb sign was not on the door.

Unfortunately too many other things wrong with this hotel to stay here again.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel - this one is nothing to spend money on.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
CYRBGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Rancho Bernardo, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Harper5633020,

Thank you for taking the time to write a thorough review of our property! Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconveniences you have experienced. We greatly appreciate your feedback and I would like to address your concerns.

Relative to the parking lot, we recognize that the lay out was not ideal and we did just have it re-striped in May in order provide for larger spots, and make the traffic flow better. I am hearing from many guests that it was a vast improvement over the previous layout.

Regarding the WiFi, our speed currently exceeds the brand standard, however we recognize that our guests want faster internet. We are in in the process of another upgrade that will hopefully be rolled out in August!

I am sorry that you found mattress to be uncomfortable. I usually hear great things about our beds, and would love to speak with you so I can further research the specific rooms you stayed in. The same thing goes for the bathroom cleanliness issues you mentioned.

I also apologize that our housekeeping department missed the opportunity to service your room during your recent stay with us. Our housekeeping team cleans guest rooms between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. During our extremely busy/peak season right now, we are not able to service all guests early in the day, however we are pleased to honor any special requests relative to a specific cleaning time frame. If you came back after 6:00 p.m. and your room still wasn't cleaned, then that was a definite miss on our part and again, I apologize.

Due to the design and original architecture of our building, we do have some challenges with our air conditioning. Our maintenance team though does react immediately to rectify any guest concerns with the a/c and we are usually able to fix any issues quite quickly.

Our shower heads are very low as you mentioned. Unfortunately due to the way the building was built, there is not an easy fix permanent fix for this. We do however offer a shower head extender and can install that quickly to raise the height of the shower head for you.

Hopefully I have been able to address your concerns and would welcome the opportunity to speak with you further. Please call me at 858-613-2000 or email kmaola@dimdev.com.

Thank you again for your feedback. We appreciate your business.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

PROS: Free wireless connection, clean room, king bed, nice decor (typical of most Marriott designs), pull out couch, flat-screen TV, mini-fridge, and microwave. The pillows were very comfortable! There was also a pond in the back for a nice relaxing stroll. The price ($109 per night) was also very reasonable!

CONS: No towels or shampoo were provided upon arrival, but they were promptly delivered once we made a call to the front desk.

OVERALL: We stayed our first two nights in a Motel 6 to be closer to the beach, so this Marriott room was by far a huge upgrade in terms of luxury, comfort, and style.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
CYRBGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Rancho Bernardo, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Alice,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I am very glad to hear that you thought our hotel was clean & comfortable and also glad you got an opportunity to check out our beautiful park!

Please accept my apologies for the missing towels and shampoo. I will review this with our housekeeping manager so she is aware of the issue. I am glad we were able to get these items for you quickly once reported to the front desk.

We thank you for choosing Marriott and appreciate your business! Hope to see you again soon the next time travels bring you to our area.

Boulder, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed here for a business trip and they provided free wi-fi and breakfast. the breakfast was better than most places and the rooms are spacious. It is not overwhelming and comparable to most average hotels. It was conveniently close to the office but you have to drive down a small street to get to the hotel. No significant complaints or compliments. Overall it is just an average hotel. Comfortable, clean and affordable.

Room Tip: room closer to elevator or lobby, otherwise it's a long walk.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Stayed here only one night for a wedding and it was great as the Marriott is supposed to be. I asked for early check in when I booked the room and it was ready earlier than I asked for! The front desk staff is so nice and the facilities alone are super nice. The bed was huge and comfortable, didn't go into the pool but there were many people in it. The room was a great size and check out was quick and easy. There's a Starbucks inside as well for anyone grabbing a quick coffee before they head out.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Angelica,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and recognize our exceptional customer service! Our associates will be extremely pleased to read your comments. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon the next time travels bring you to Rancho Bernardo.

Kathleen Maola

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Rancho Bernardo? Share your experiences!