“Nice hotel, great location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter

You added The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter to your Saves list
The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   910 Broadway Circle, San Diego, CA 92101 (Formerly The Westin Horton Plaza San Diego) (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #41 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Los Angeles, CA
“Nice hotel, great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Nice, clean room. Comfortable bed. The pool is small but enjoyable.

The valet parking is expensive at $40 per night, but they do a really great job. They are friendly and very quick and efficient. We forgot something in the car twice. The first time, they got what we needed from the car and brought it to our room. The second time, we asked them to bring the car up so we could search the car for it.

Great location. Adjacent to the Horton Plaza. Walking distance to Petco Park. Plenty of places to eat and shop nearby. Also 7-11 and CVS a short walk away, which is nice if you want to stock up on snacks or if you forget something at home.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Turkish first
Boca Raton, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

As a long time Platinum SPG member, I stay at lots of Westins and other SPG properties. First time staying at this hotel, and very pleased. I really like the Westin classic renovation that occurred in 2012. Fast and friendly valet, easy check in, welcoming lobby with lots of comfortable seating, bar area, and coffee shop. You are right in the middle of the city. Parking of $40 was high, and disappointed that no upgraded room was available. Nevertheless, room was modern, quiet, all was clean, and I will stay here agin whenever in San Diego.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear PAQ,

So glad you tried us for the first time and were pleased with your stay! As a Platinum SPG member, you’re already well aware of the many benefits the program has to offer and I want to thank you for your long time loyalty to Starwood.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to the West Coast. Until then…

Keri Robinson
Pocatello, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

This hotel is very convenient to the airport and all the fun things going on in the Gaslamp Quarter. I found it to be very clean and comfortable. The hall way network to find your room is very different, but it is manageable. Just don't forget your way! The room did have a leaking faucet and a clogged sink drain. But it was overall minor. The staff were very friendly and I enjoyed the fact that they engaged me while walking to and from our conference room. I did stay here on business and had it been me paying for it I may have shopped around a little. Only because this place isn't cheap, however for the location, it is expected. Overall, I did really enjoy the stay and I think if your in the area, give it a try!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear dkbrig,

Being just 3 miles from the airport and right in the middle of the Gaslamp Quarter, you’re certainly right when you say our location is convenient! We’re also within walking distance of the Convention Center, theaters, shopping, night life… the list goes on and on. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for recommending other do so too.

We hope to be able to welcome you back on your next trip to San Diego!

Best,

Keri Robinson
Columbus, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

We opted to stay at this property based on what I had read here. We have been SPG Gold members for 6 years & own 2 Starwood vacation villas. This was honestly our worst experience at a Starwood Property. When we checked in, the front desk agent was rude & would only offer us a mid level room upgrade with a view of the roof of Horton Plaza. I spoke to a different agent about a different room but was told there was none better. This was despite the fact that on the hotel website, there was both bay view rooms & suites available to reserve for our dates when I checked that afternoon. The room was small with 2 full size beds, not exactly what I expected from a Westin. On our second day, I called for our car from the valet before going downstairs. Despite this, we still waited almost 15 minutes for our car while others presented their cards to the window & were serviced first. We also did not receive housekeeping services on our second day. We had been at the safari park all day & returned around 6:30pm hoping to take a shower to refresh. When I called about this & voiced my displeasure about the service, I was offered 200 points for all my troubles but asked for a different room instead. I was again refused.
The only bright point of our stay was when Gabriel printed my sea world tickets since the printer in the business center in the lobby was broken while we were there.
On our next trip to San Diego we will definitely stay elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
westingaslampSD, Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear neuromri,

First of all, thank you very much for your loyalty to Starwood. As a vacation villa owner and an SPG Gold member, I am sure you are aware that we always try to do our best to provide our guests with the best possible accommodations. We are also dedicated to delivering stellar service, such as what you experienced with Gabe.

The next time your schedule includes a return trip to San Diego, I hope you will consider staying with us again so we may have the opportunity to create a more memorable experience.

Charles Cho
Hotel Manager
Alturas, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

We stayed at this hotel while visiting family over the 4th of July weekend.The staff here is wonderful!! Very fun,friendly and accommodating!! The hotel is well located in San Diego, allowing us to walk everywhere we needed to go. Buffet breakfast was delicious! We will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

We stayed at this property over July 4th weekend. After checking around this was one of the better priced hotels within the area. It was well located in the heart of the Gaslamp sitting next to several restaurants, a mall, and a CVS. It also was close to the I-5 which made it very easy to get around the area when visiting.

We picked the Executive King which was large and had a decent size fridge in the room. It also had a large patio that was one of the largest we have ever had connected to a hotel room. Overall the room was clean. We noticed a small spider on the bed the day of checkout but no other issues during our stay.

The staff was very friendly specially the valet staff which we saw everyday. On some days it seemed to take longer than we expected getting our car but when the staff noticed us waiting they apologized, offered us water, and tried to get our car to us quickly. You can call ahead to the valet desk to have your car ready, but we were not told of this option until halfway through our visit.

Although the staff was great, paying $40 a day for valet was disappointing, and quashed the pretty good(in comparison to that weekend) rate we had. We saw a self parking garage across the street for $20.

Overall, other that the price for parking we enjoyed our stayed and would return on a future trip.

Room Tip: Park at the garage across the street for half the price.
Green Features: They offered an incentive for not having room service daly which I thought was a great idea.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

The rooms are dated. Small with small beds. There is very little art in the rooms & the only lighting was a single bedside lamp & fluorescent bathroom lighting. Not the usual Westin standard by my experience. We are SPG Gold level but were only given a mid level room with only a view of the roof of Horton Plaza. We wish we could have stayed elsewhere but it's hard to find a room in SD on a moments notice.

• Stayed July 2014
westingaslampSD, Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear Neuromri511
I was disappointed to read that you felt our rooms missed the mark. I can assure you that all our beds are standard king or double size and the rooms are actually a bit larger when compared to other downtown hotels in major cities and to other hotels here in San Diego. The lighting options include the bedside lamps you mentioned, in addition to a floor lamp, desk lamp and pinpoint reading lights built right into the headboard for guest convenience.

Throughout the hotel you will find many works of art in addition to the living Vertical Garden located in the lobby where guests are encouraged to relax and recharge.

I hope you will consider a return trip as I feel we have much more to offer than your recent experience.

Charles Cho
Hotel Manager

Been to The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter? Share your experiences!