“Good Location and Experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter

You added The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter to your Saves list
The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   910 Broadway Circle, San Diego, CA 92101 (Formerly The Westin Horton Plaza San Diego) (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #49 of 273 Hotels in San Diego
Phoenix, Arizona
“Good Location and Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

We stayed at this property over July 4th weekend. After checking around this was one of the better priced hotels within the area. It was well located in the heart of the Gaslamp sitting next to several restaurants, a mall, and a CVS. It also was close to the I-5 which made it very easy to get around the area when visiting.

We picked the Executive King which was large and had a decent size fridge in the room. It also had a large patio that was one of the largest we have ever had connected to a hotel room. Overall the room was clean. We noticed a small spider on the bed the day of checkout but no other issues during our stay.

The staff was very friendly specially the valet staff which we saw everyday. On some days it seemed to take longer than we expected getting our car but when the staff noticed us waiting they apologized, offered us water, and tried to get our car to us quickly. You can call ahead to the valet desk to have your car ready, but we were not told of this option until halfway through our visit.

Although the staff was great, paying $40 a day for valet was disappointing, and quashed the pretty good(in comparison to that weekend) rate we had. We saw a self parking garage across the street for $20.

Overall, other that the price for parking we enjoyed our stayed and would return on a future trip.

Room Tip: Park at the garage across the street for half the price.
Green Features: They offered an incentive for not having room service daly which I thought was a great idea.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

The rooms are dated. Small with small beds. There is very little art in the rooms & the only lighting was a single bedside lamp & fluorescent bathroom lighting. Not the usual Westin standard by my experience. We are SPG Gold level but were only given a mid level room with only a view of the roof of Horton Plaza. We wish we could have stayed elsewhere but it's hard to find a room in SD on a moments notice.

• Stayed July 2014
westingaslampSD, Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear Neuromri511
I was disappointed to read that you felt our rooms missed the mark. I can assure you that all our beds are standard king or double size and the rooms are actually a bit larger when compared to other downtown hotels in major cities and to other hotels here in San Diego. The lighting options include the bedside lamps you mentioned, in addition to a floor lamp, desk lamp and pinpoint reading lights built right into the headboard for guest convenience.

Throughout the hotel you will find many works of art in addition to the living Vertical Garden located in the lobby where guests are encouraged to relax and recharge.

I hope you will consider a return trip as I feel we have much more to offer than your recent experience.

Be well,

Charles Cho
Hotel Manager
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I rarely write reviews but this was such an incredible/unforgettable stay that I simply had to say something. I just came back from a 2.5 weeks vacation so I apologize for the delay! I stayed here for 2 nights June 20-22. Before I had even step foot on properly I received a surprising phone call from (FD) Jeremy. He simply called to ask about specific rooms I wanted for my mini family reunion/ bday trip that to me is unheard of, clearly its a great start. I drove 6hrs from Phoenix to San Diego and when I finally arrived at The Westin my family and I were greeted by the valet and lead to lobby to check in with the kind and gracious Hitomi ( FD Agent). Her welcome into the Hotel made me feel like I was home, she treated my family and me as if we were long time friends. Again the staff was 2 for 2!! Later in the evening I headed down to the restaurant to place a carry out order and the gentleman whom greeted me and my sister was the restaurant supervisor ( I wish I knew his name) he was great and attentive. So thank you Sir for taking great care of us. Again Hitomi and Jeremy without Staff as you, I doubt my stay would have been great and memorable so Thank you!!

Also the make a green choice is a great option, and housekeeping was wonderful about providing us with extra towels and toiletries.

Room Tip: The bay view is not only nice it is also a higher floor.
Green Features: without such personable and friendly staff I doubt this would really impacted my stay. Great job!!!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Dear ambegue,

What an awesome review! I was thrilled to read about your experience and want to thank you for taking the time to post this. For us, creating great memories is what "it's all about" and I can’t wait to share your story with the staff, and particularly with Jeremy and Hitomi.

We’ll be waiting to welcome you back the next time you make the drive over from Phoenix. Until then…

Be well,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I recently spent 10 nights at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter ( from June 25 - July 5 ). As a Starwood "Preferred Guest," check in was a breeze, assisted by the gracious and very personable Assistant Front Desk Manager Jeremy. I was quickly taken to a very nicely appointed room on the top ( 16th floor ) floor, with partial views of the Bay and very good amenities, including that unbeatable Westin "Heavenly Bed!" Because the hotel is "pet-friendly," for three nights I shared my room with a 110lb Cane Corso ( Italian Mastiff ) named Lula, who I co-own with a dear local friend. And they even provided a large "Heavenly Dog Bed" for her. I must also commend the Concierge, Marina, for going the distance in every request I made, from making an appointment at the Department of Motor Vehicles to giving me recommendations and "insider" tips of great local restaurants! And the Housekeeping service, as provided by the lovely lady who serviced my room during the majority of my stay--Luisa--was as good as any FIVE STAR LUXURY HOTEL I've stayed in around the globe!! Though the rooms may be in need of some "updating"--particularly the seventies-looking bathrooms, I give this excellent hotel two big THUMBS UP if you're visiting "America's Finest City!"

Room Tip: Become a Starwood "Preferred Guest" and you'll automatically get a room on the top ( 1...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Aliso Viejo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

Everyone was so helpful. Rooms were adequate and large. The servers in the breakfast buffet area were wonderful...Concierge was knowledgeable and the front desk check was a breeze. Valet parkers were prompt and friendly

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Just one night here on the 4th July at the end of our SouthWest holiday. Great welcome, and a surprise upgrade with a view to the bay (and fireworks!). I had to fly out early the next day but the concierge was a great help with getting a cab. Meanwhile my wife was given a late check-out and loved the pool. Thanks to everyone for giving us a great, if short, stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear roos1ter,

You’re very welcome! Hopefully your next trip will be a little longer and you’ll get the opportunity to experience everything our great location has to offer. Theater, dining, shopping, sightseeing, day-trips to wine country, sporting events, night life… whatever your interests are, there’s something nearby!

We hope to welcome you back someday.

Best,

Newport beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

Out of all the hotels in Gaslamp I chose Westin for the 4th because I have heard so many good things about this hotel and the location can't be beat. First of all, I was greeted within 15 seconds when I walked into the lobby. Neil at the front desk was very engaging and did his best to ensure that I was going to have a pleasant stay.Second, the pool was very inviting,clean, and had a great atmosphere for both couples and families. Third, My dining experience gets an A plus Even though the restaurant was slammed, my server was very accommodating and made sure my needs were met and my dish was served in a timely manner. I ordered the Margherita pizza and Caesar salad, both were excellent, and the prices are very reasonable. I will definitely be back.

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Dear Driggio1987,

I’d have to agree… we do have the best spot in the Gaslamp! I love reading about our guest’s experiences - especially when specific staff members are mentioned! I assure you that I’ll share your feedback with Neil. I was also happy to know you enjoyed dining in Pinzimini. It’s a favorite with both our guests and the locals.

We look forward to your return!

Best,