“Great location, great service, great hotel in San Diego!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter

You added The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter to your Saves list
The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   910 Broadway Circle, San Diego, CA 92101 (Formerly The Westin Horton Plaza San Diego) (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #54 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Great location, great service, great hotel in San Diego!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

From the moment that you arrive at the Westin Gaslamp San Diego, you are faced with great service. From the valets (who even offer you complimentary bottled water as you drive off), to the check-in staff (Matt who used to work in Aspen is constantly cheerful & helpful), to the over-the top helpful concierge ladies, to the cheery housekeeper, everyone offers great service with a smile! This is a hotel that encourages you also to smile!

I know you are thinking: well, I have had great service in many hotels especially in the USA (the country of exemplary service).. but let me give you a good example of GREAT service. I wanted to watch a big boxing match in San Diego and I asked the concierge to find me a bar where I could do so. Within an hour she did find such a place, even though it's not easy. However, she called me again later on to let me know that on the night of the boxing, there would be a ball game and as the ballpark is right next door, I should be wary of the crowds. That was extremely caring and great service! Furthermore, when I asked for a map of San Diego, she didn't give me just one map but 3 together with a free guide book!

Yet it's not just the service which makes this a great hotel. The hotel itself is probable in the best location in San Diego city/downtown. It's close enough to the Gaslamp district without being stuck in the area with drunk college kids & homeless folks. So you can enjoy the entertainment and dining/drinking options on offer in the Gaslamp and then meander home easily and comfortably.

The rooms are also very nice. The hotel was only renovated a couple of years ago so everything is still new and fresh. The layout of my room was perfect with a work area with huge desk, sitting area with 2 comfy armchairs and that (truly) heavenly Westin oversized bed!! The room is equipped with all mod cons, though there were no slippers and the coffee machine leaked (as the filter holder is too tight for the coffee bags).

All in all, this is a great hotel and the best choice if you are visiting San Diego and need to stay downtown/central. I am a Westin convert!!

Room Tip: Book a Bay View King Room, preferably on the 16th floor for great views and top location!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear Titillator,

I can’t tell you how terrific it was to read your review and I can’t wait to share it with the staff. I appreciate you taking the time to provide us with such comprehensive feedback. But most of all, I am so pleased that you’ve become a “Westin convert”! We hope to see you again on your next trip across the pond should your travels bring you back to San Diego.

Until then, be well,

Keri Robinson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

WiFi in the room 14,50 USD a day! Even in a coffeeshop its free! Valet parking 38,00 USD a day, there is no other choice! Smoking no where permitted! We left after 3 nights. payed for 4 nights and nothing in return. The lady at the reception told me in a rude way!
Would defenetly not return!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
westingaslampSD, Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
erwinatc,
Our rates are very competitive with the local market. You pointed out our fastest internet charge from our guest room but no mentioning of the lower options available in the guest room. We even have free internet in the lobby level as another option for our guests.
Also, we have the best service staff in San Diego as you can see from other surveys. I feel that the hospitality business is all about making friends while servicing our guests. We would love to welcome you back to get an opportunity to strengthen our friendship.

Hotel Manager
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

I just got back from a 6 day stay at the Westin San Diego Gaslamp. The hotel is in a very good central location and has all the amenities you would expect. The entire staff is exceedingly friendly, professional, and most helpful. For example, I ran into a major problem with a document I had to send under a severe deadline and it was only because of the emergency help I received from Maryna Moskalenko on the front desk that I could get it in before the deadline. Because of her efforts, I made the deadline and did the deal! I have been to many, many hotels around the world, but it is rare to see such a committed group working to make a stay both pleasurable and productive. I'll be back in San Diego in about 6 weeks again and you can be sure I'll be staying here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear NYInternational,

Congratulations on making the deal! I was extremely happy, and proud, to know that Maryna was able to help you through what I’m sure was a stressful time with a deadline looming over you. I will certainly let her know how much her assistance meant to you. We do have a very dedicated team here, and it’s stories such as yours that really make my day.

Thank you for sharing your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back next month!

Best,

Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

Stayed at 1113 last Friday night the 4th.

The Customer service was excellent, we got in quite late and was given room 1113 (upgrade as SPG GOLD)

Im sure this is isolated (hoping that this is) issue to this particular room, but if you are given this room check the air-con and the filter below it.

AC was not cold, and it was noisy. Daughter slept through the night (probably coz of the long drive throughout the day) however my wife and I had unpleasant night.

In the morning, my daughter was playing in the corner, to go to the window to see amazing view.
when she came down, the air filter (or whatever it is under the AC) fell off. Almost hit her.

I told the problem as we checked out that very morning, and hopefully someone can fix it before someone gets hurt.

Location is great, service excellent. but not room 1113 :(

For the location/service and if you are SPG member like I am and redeeming your points, US Grant probably better experience for us.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
c0mbiT,
Thank you for being a loyal customer to Starwood family. I know you have been in contact with our management team and I appreacite the opportunity to serve you.

Hope to welcome you back in the future for the best hotel expereince ever that I know we are capable of creating you.

Be Well,

Hotel manager
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

This hotel has a solid combination of room quality, customer service and a great location. Originally placed in one of about four rooms that have a block view, but Tiffany happily moved me to a room with a view. She also did a great job of treating me like a guest, as opposed to an occupant. All staff that I came into contact with were noticeably courteous. Room quality was good with modern furnishings in good condition and low noise levels. The location puts you in reach of Starbucks (they also serve it in their own shop), CVS pharmacy, a multi-level mall and restaurants galore. It was also a safe, one-mile walk to the water and a shorter walk to the stadium. I was very pleased with my visit!

Room Tip: Above fifth floor will avoid obstruction of view.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
westingaslampSD, Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear Larry H,

Thank you for letting us know about your recent experience here at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed interacting with the staff, and with Tiffany in particular. And of course I am glad you found our truly terrific location a plus!

Be well,

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

I stayed at the Westin a few weeks ago. My trip was twofold: the first four days were for a work conference, and the last two days, my partner was flying out to meet me so we could celebrate our anniversary. Since my work paid for the room, they booked me in the cheapest one available on Priceline: a room with two double beds. I happened to mention this to Tiffany (one of the super helpful front desk agents), and she immediately put in a request for a room upgrade. The next day, we were switched to a deluxe king suite on a higher floor. And to our surprise, we were brought a bottle of champagne and a handwritten card to go along with it. I usually don't like pulling out the "gay card' but I will say that sometimes I notice that people go less out of their way once they realize that my partner is a guy. Tiffany most certainly didn't do that, and treated me with the courtesy and respect that I suspect she would've treated anyone (bonus points). Tiffany was remarkably helpful and sweet -- she offered us suggestions for activities and restaurants. She went out of her way to make sure that our anniversary was special and memorable. The little touches (like the bottle of champagne) were so appreciated that I made sure to commend her to her manager, but I also wanted to make sure that people know -- the staff at the Westin Gaslamp are worth their weight in gold. Tiffany, thank you for making our anniversary and trip in San Diego a great experience.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

This hotel is in a great location next to a mall and plenty of restaurants. It's always nice to be a few steps a way from a Starbucks. It is also close to Jimbo's (similar to whole foods) and a CVS. The staff here is super friendly and genuinely want to help. The gym is large for a hotel and very bright and clean. I was quiet surprised. Downside: sheets and comforter look very tired and worn. I saw lots of rips. I came here for a conference and it only took about a ten minute walk to get to the convention center.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
westingaslampSD, Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
maryseasee,
Great location and super friendly t staff is right on. We are ideally located in the middle of everything and our great associates makes it better for your to enjoy your experience.
We hope to welcome you back for even a better experience.

Hotel Manager

Been to The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter? Share your experiences!