“what a difference a year makes” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter

Save Saved
You added The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter to your Saves list
The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   910 Broadway Circle, San Diego, CA 92101 (Formerly The Westin Horton Plaza San Diego) (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #41 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Dallas, Texas
“what a difference a year makes”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I stayed here last year and had a great stay but this time it was totally different. I am platinum for life with starwood and have Ambassador status which means I stay over 100 nights a year in their hotels.

The young lady that checked me in was the rudest most unpleasant and unprofessional person I have found at a Westin. Because of my status with Starwood I am allowed to check in anytime. I got to the hotel at 1pm and the first thing she told me was that check in was not til 3pm. No upgrade, no welcoming attitude .I will not stay here again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
westingaslampSD, Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
TravelLikeaStar, Thank you for staying with us again. While we appreciate your loyalty, I do want to apologize for the check in experience you described. We actually specialize in our service delivery and this one is was a surprise for me as well. If you can call me and let me know more about your experience, it would help me a great deal to improve on our service.
I look forward to hear from you.

Charles Cho
Hotel Manager
619 238 2615

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Turkish first
Metamora, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I have stayed at hotels all over the world. This is the first place where the concierge didn't expext exhorbitant tips, but did their job flawlessly. They were there when I got up and stayed well into the evening. They knew the San Diego area and gave excellent advice. My favorite was Julienne. She called the Fish Market to make sure we had a fabulous table. She gave us great advice about places to go, to eat, just about everythng. The spa was excellent. The breakfast buffet was worth every penny. I would definiyely stay here again, and encourage every one I know to do the same. Thank you for a great San Diego experience!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor with a Bay view. It's worth it!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear VaniMBDDS,

I was so glad to hear how much you enjoyed your stay, and particularly the service you received from Julianne. Our concierge team is a great asset to the hotel and, as you mentioned, they really do know just about everything! With our hard to beat location in the center of downtown, there is always lots to do and something new to experience so it certainly is helpful when you have a group of experts to turn to for suggestions!

We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip.

Kind regards,

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

The hotel was great very comfortable and nice and close to the gaslamp nightlife. Also Westfield Horton plaza is right next door for some shopping :)
There concierges are the best! So helpful!
It was about a 15min taxi ride to San Diego zoo and a 25min taxi to Seaworld

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
West Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed a very nice stay at the Westin Gaslamp. Very convenient location to Gaslamp and it's restaurants and night life. Large shopping Mall just a few steps away and grocery store just around the corner. CVS by mall also carries some groceries. Staff was excellent, the hotel does have a small coffee shop, but we opted for the Panera Bread just accross the street. You are close to the waterfront, 5 min car ride or approx 20 min walk. But this area is great for walking. Would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Vero Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

My wife and I are foodies. In preparing for our visit to San Diego, I called the hotel concierge to get restaurant recommendations as I really did not know the area. I got a super nice lady on the phone, and we talked about possibilities. She told me I should try her and her husband's favorite restaurant, JSix. She recommended a Mexican place for the next night, The Blind Burro. She then asked my name so she could pull up my record, and she told me I called the wrong hotel!! I had called the Westin San Diego, not Gaslamp. Instead of having me hang up and call the correct hotel, this very nice woman, Molly Moran, said "don't worry, I'll still take care of you." Not only did she make my reservations, she called and got us the best table in JSix, and told the staff to take good care of us, which they did. She also called the Gaslamp Westin to make sure we got a nice room, and I'm not sure if she did not, but we ended up with an excellent room on the Starwood Preferred floor. I'm assuming she called and did this. Regardless, she went way beyond what I would have expected, and took great care of us. It was greatly appreciated. By the way, both restaurants were exactly what we were looking for. She figured out what we needed, and took care of it.

Then, while on or stay, we had been recommended to go to another restaurant, Searsucker, where we went on Friday night, and which we loved. My cousin was coming in the next day to visit, on Saturday night. This is an extremely busy restaurant. We wanted to go back that night, but I called the restaurant and they had no reservations. I spoke to the concierge at our hotel this time, and lo and behold, in about 10 minutes I had a 6:30 reservation for that night. I wish I got this woman's name, but I did not.

The bottom line is the concierge's at these hotels go way beyond what I would have expected from them.

As to the hotel, it was exactly what I expected. It was clean, and well kept. Overall, I would certainly recommend this hotel. The only issue we had is we were right next to a suite, and two nights there were parties in the room until very late. However, both nights security came up on their own very quickly and quieted them down. Only a short term problem. The location to the Gaslamp restaurants, bars, and Petco Park, are awesome.

Room Tip: Get a room that is not next to a suite
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Michael H,

Now that’s what I call teamwork! What a great job by Molly and our concierge staff. You can be assured I will pass along your review to the Westin San Diego too so that Molly can be recognized for her efforts.

I was very happy to read that your stay was exactly what you expected. And glad to know how much you enjoyed the location. Being self-described “foodies”, you certainly picked the right hotel for that! With the Gaslamp Quarter being just a block away from us, there are literally hundreds of restaurants to choose from and it sounds like you enjoyed discovering new favorites.

Hope you’ll visit us again the next time you travel to the West Coast.

Be well,

Orange County, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We wanted to express our thanks for an excellent weekend at your Westin-Gaslamp location. The hotel is situated in an amazing location with all of Gaslamp within walking distance.
*The Valet staff were quick to assist with luggage without being asked. Niela (spelling? ) was engaging and friendly.
*Paul of the bellhops helped us to our room. He took a few extra minutes to acquaint us with the hotel, its amenities and the sites nearby. Over the next two days he greeted us each time with a smile and earnest questions about our stay and the conference we were attending.
*Our room was recently remodeled and in excellent shape.
*During the conference the catering staff kept up on food and beverages. They responded quickly to all our requests.
*Everything at Pinzimini was delicious. Server, Tomoko, had smiles each time we visited.
*Room service managed to translate our bungled order and get us what we wanted.
*We appreciate the heads up we received (the note under the door) regarding a potentially noisy party.
*We are excited to hear that Westin welcomes dogs.

We are planning our next trip down and look forward to it.

Room Tip: As for one not facing the terrace (where the parties are held).
Dear Heather S,

The only thing better than reading a review that specifically mentions some of our terrific team members is knowing the lasting impression they made on you!

I appreciate you taking the time to let us know in detail about your stay and are happy to know you are already planning your next trip as we look forward to welcoming you back. With Orange County being so close, we hope to see you often!

Until next time, be well.

San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Spent two nights on recent business trip to San Diego. I have stayed at W SD many times and wanted to try another Starwood product in the city. Overall, hotel was average or even poor if weighting heavily the sleep quality issue:

Pros:

very good staff, from check-in onward
Good location in gaslamp quarter
Good coffee kiosk with Starbucks and grab n go items in lobby
Comfortable Westin bed

Cons:

Noise from a/c unit of room below was very loud - woke me up at 2 am and had to put in earplugs. A colleague had same experience so it wasn't just my room.

Sink had only very hot water - very strange. Again a colleague had same issue.

Housekeeping issue - there is a bottle of complimentary water in each room, with note indicating this. Prior guest had drunk half the bottle, replaced the note, and Housekeeping had apparently not noticed.

There is no minibar but a "service express" option where they will bring up sodas, snacks, alcoholic drinks. However, there is a $15 minimum plus 20% service charge. Add it up and it's more than you would pay for a beer and KitKat even at a typical overpriced minibar, without the convenience.

All said, it was ok, but I think there are better options at the price point in San Diego.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
westingaslampSD, Hotel Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Frequent_TravelsSF
Thank you for being a loyal Starwood guest. We appreciate your business and will make sure to address the issues based on your feedback.
While I am glad you enjoyed the service from our associates, please accept my apology for your inconvenience. Your comment will be shared with our Director of Engineering and we will make sure to address the issue raised. If your schedule brings you to San Diego again, Please let me know and I will make sure to look after your accomodations personaly.
Hope to welcome you back soon!
Charles Cho
Hotel Manager
619 238 2615

Been to The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter? Share your experiences!