“Great hotel in a great location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter

You added The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter to your Saves list
The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   910 Broadway Circle, San Diego, CA 92101 (Formerly The Westin Horton Plaza San Diego) (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #52 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Fayston, Vermont, United States
“Great hotel in a great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

This was a beautiful, clean hotel with always friendly service from the time you walked in until the time you left. it is attached to the Horton Plaza mall (gave you something to do in the evenings) and a few blocks walk to the convention center. The beds were heavenly, just as they described, and I was lucky to get a room on the top floor with a bay view. The pool was nice, always clean and always a chair available. Sunny pool in the afternoons helped after a long day of conferences. Yes, elevators were sometimes slow but that didn't ruin my stay. There is a Panera right across the courtyard from the hotel and the Gaslamp District was only a few short blocks away. I'd totally stay here again if I'm ever in the area.

Room Tip: Try to book a higher floor bay view room - nice views!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear Lisa S,

Wonderful to hear how you enjoyed your recent stay with us and took full advantage of all the hotel and our great location have to offer. Being attached to the Westfield Shopping & Entertainment mall is certainly a plus! Along with many specialty stores, the mall is anchored with a Nordstrom and Macy’s – in addition to movie theaters and even day spas! Then again, as you mentioned, it’s always nice to just be able to relax by our pool with a cool drink in hand.

If your travels ever bring you out to San Diego again, we’d love the opportunity to welcome you back!

Be well,

Keri Robinson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Turkish first
Costa Mesa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

This was our first stay at this location. My wife surprised me with a little stay-cation for my birthday. Molly R from the Concierge service, Dulce and Amy B. from the front desk were excellent! My wife casually mentioned that it was my bday, and Dulce allowed us to check in a little early. We dropped off our stuff, and headed out to lunch. When we got back, there was a bottle of champagne with a handwritten note from Molly and the staff, wishing me a happy Bday and a nice stay. The next morning, Amy B stopped us near the front desk, and asked us if we enjoyed our stay. Nothing but kudos for this team. Customer service means the world to me in my profession, and to have these ladies do a little extra something for us, means we will now always stay here in downtown S.D. Thank you very much for making this mini vacay great!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Lafayette, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I got off to a rocky start during this stay, but the hotel staff went above and beyond to help me get my trip back on track. They were caring and considerate, and I want to thank the front desk staff immensely. Concierge services were great, and the hotel facilities were superb. Happy Hour at the bar was a great deal for food and drink! The only downside is the fee for parking. It maybe standard for the area, but it seem inordinate to me.

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking toward the bay - the sunsets are lovely, and I think its a little quieter.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear PLMcDowell,

Great service. Superb facility. Delicious food and drink. Sure sounds like we hit the mark! We are committed to ensuring our guests have a memorable experience so I loved hearing how the team was able to turn around a rocky start. And it was especially nice to read that the front desk and concierge helped to ensure you had a wonderful stay. I’d have to agree, they are great! I will make sure they know how much you appreciated their efforts.

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor and we hope the next time you are in San Diego we have the opportunity to welcome you back!

Kind regards,

Milford, NH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Located just off of Broadway, next to Horton Plaza, two blocks from 5th Avenue's restaurants and a short walk down Broadway to the Midway and the Coronado Ferry. Stayed in connection with a business conference which was very well supported. Friendly staff, nice rooms. Only cons were the elevator wait and drawer space in the rooms. Otherwise, a great experience.

Dear Michael D,

Well, I certainly can’t disagree – our location is, simply put, perfect! It’s great to know that even though you were here attending a conference, you had the chance to enjoy many of the wonderful things our location has to offer. Being in the center of downtown, it’s even nicer when all those wonderful things are within walking distance! Shopping, dining, museums, nightlife, theater – you name it and it’s all just minutes away. Even the airport is only 3 miles away!

We hope you come back soon as there’s always something new to discover!

Kind regards,

Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I stayed at this property on a regular basis over the last year for business trips, each stay has been absolutely wonderful. The hotel is in a great location, with easy access to the freeways, lots of restaurant options, close to the harbor and airport. The rooms are updated and with the standard Westin-style decor. The service at this location however is what makes the hotel really stand out for me. Over the course of my stays, the staff members made a point to get to know me and always address me by name. They also got to know my preferences and made every stay very comfortable. This was a great home away from home.

Thank you so much to Dorothy, Jeanine, Reuben, Shayna, Kevin and everyone else who made my stays absolutely wonderful.

Room Tip: Rooms near the elevators can be noisy. Rooms facing Horton plaza may also be noisy due to the const...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear iheartfood621

And we “iheart” repeat guests! Reading your review was such a great way to start the day and I was thrilled to hear about the personal connections you’ve made with the staff – Dorothy, Jeanine, Ruben, Shayna and Kevin. You can be sure I will pass along your thanks.

And I want to take this opportunity to thank you! We know you have many hotels to choose from and we appreciate you considering us your “home away from home”. I also spend a lot of time on the road too, so I know firsthand how nice it is when you feel you’re staying with friends!

See you soon!

Be well,

St. Pete
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I stayed here twice within a couple of months, on business. The first stay was wonderful--pleasant view, clean, modern, comfortable room. One of my colleagues made it a point to say what a nice hotel this is, and I agreed. The same room was not available on my second stay (I asked) and I was on a different side of the building with a view of ugly roof tops, a loud, incessant generator noise much of the time, and live music until late one night, making it hard to work or sleep--a less positive experience.

The location is good--two minutes from an extensive shopping mall, about a ten-minute walk from the water, and replete with restaurants ranging widely in quality and price. An added nice feature is in-room small refrigerators (formally drink bars).

In an overall good experience, there were some further glitches:
>Staff are clearly trained to be attentive but can be intrusive with offers to help.
>I agreed to try the Green program at registration (no house keeping in exchange for food vouchers), but somehow that did not get applied
>the elevators have the most annoying floor-pass noise
>mirrors in the rooms have surround-frame fluorescent lighting, and the glare makes it difficult to see certain aspects of grooming--like hair.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlooking the Terrace area.
SoCal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

Went to westin for business meeting. No kids, just significant other and me stayed at hotel. I did not pay for room or food on this trip.

Check in is not a problem, quick and easy. Friendly and asked if we wanted a map of downtown San Diego. Location really works for this hotel, adjacent to Horton Plaza shopping center, Gaslamp district, Little Italy, Petco park, and Convention center, all with walking distance.

We had upper level room, very quiet. Nicely appointed two queen beds and had good temperature controls. Had water out of tap that on two occasions smelled slight sulfurous. Mentioned to front desk, they apologized, might be secondary to construction next door at mall, building outdoor amphitheater.

Food was ok, not amazing at
our meeting venues. They do quite a few banquets on weekends.

Did not drive to hotel, took train from LA to SD to get to meeting. Taxis a little difficult to get.

Of hotels I've recently stayed at, due to location and ambience, liked this hotel better than Omni or Hard Rock. It was kind of like an oasis of calm adjacent to Gaslamp.

• Stayed July 2013

Been to The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter? Share your experiences!