“Not Westin worthy, not even 4 star worthy” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter

You added The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter to your Saves list
The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   910 Broadway Circle, San Diego, CA 92101 (Formerly The Westin Horton Plaza San Diego) (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #41 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Alphen aan den Rijn, The Netherlands
“Not Westin worthy, not even 4 star worthy”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I am currently staying in this hotel. The arrival was good, bell service very friendly and the front desk wasn't bad either. The clerk was sorry that the hotel was fully booked so we couldn't get a (paid) upgrade for the final 3 nights of our 5 night stay.

We made a booking through a friend who has a high position at one of the asian Sheraton hotels, so we could get the starfriend rate. It seems in this hotel, starfriend rate means: get bad service.

It started in the first morning when we noticed we did not get any shower gel in the bathroom.
We called housekeeping and they said they would bring it to us. One hour later everybody was finished showering but still no shower gel. We left the hotel at 12 noon to go out and removed the DND sign from the door.

In the evening at 11p.m. we noticed our room wasn't cleaned. When we called housekeeping the said that the DND sign was on, but we told them we already removed it at noon. They didn't bother to ask if we still needed the room to be cleaned. Also the showergel still wasn;t there.
We demanded new towels and shower gel asap, which eventually they brought.

The next day: I was feeling not so well and stayed in the room until 3pm, after which I went out to get some fresh air. On the way to the elevator I spoke to one of the housekeeping attendants if she could clean room 539 after the one she was cleaning, I apologized that it was so late but that I wasn't feeling well before. She made a note on the card and said it will be fine.

When I came back at 6pm to my big surprise the room STILL wasn't made. When I called housekeeping they said (AGAIN!!) that the DND sign was on. I told them that that was nonsense since I specifically told the attendant that I went out and if she could clean the specific room number. The frontdesk told me the housekeeping doesn't keep track of which room is already and is not yet cleaned. Obviously they only look in the morning and after that...well....I guess as a guest you just have to figure out yourself. After I got angry the fron office manager called me. I told her that I wasn't planning on paying the full amount for the first night since it hadn't been cleaned. She told me that we already got a discount rate (what has that got to do with cleaning the room or not?) but that she could only offer me a 25 dollar credit to spend during my stay, for the fact that today the room wasn't cleaned after I asked. And what about the first day it wasn't cleaned? No solution at all..the manager said that the room would be cleaned within 30 minutes. We waited for the attendand for 45 minutes and dint show up. Pissed as we were we went out and came back at 915pm to find out is was finally cleaned.

Today we went out early at 10 and removed the DND sign. We came back in the room at 2pm and what do you know? ofcourse the room WASN'T made yet. And guess what they told us when we called again: ofcourse they mentioned that the DND sign was on (BEFORE 10!!!)

The housekeeping just keeps using the DND sign as an excuse, the front office doesn't coem up with a solution and guess what: when I tried to find out if I could book a room online through my SPG(gold) account, there were still bigger rooms available.

Conclusion: stay away from this hotel! only the hotel exterior and lobby are nice and the bell staff is very correct and friendly. No heavenly bed that they are using even though they claim it to be.

Rooms should be renovated but still look very outdated, only soms LED lights next to the bed.
Front office and management don't come up with correct solutions if things are done incorrectly.Don't mind if you are a loyal gold SPG customer or not. Housekeeping seems very lazy and not eager to show some initiative.
This hotel isn't worth the starwood or westin badge and certainly would not rate it higher than 2 or 3 starts. Better stay at a different westin. I have never experienced any westin as bad as this one before and will never come here again if my stay will end like this.

Stay away from this hotel! I am curious if they will even take the tie and trouble to read my review.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel! this is certainly not worth your money!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear RKGT777,

Thank you very much for your time this morning. I am glad that our Director of Front Office was able to connect with you and follow up on these items. Please reach out to her directly should you have any further questions or concerns and we hope that you enjoy the rest of your stay with us.

Keri Robinson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Turkish first
Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Can't say much for the property itself, as I checked-in around 9pm, left early for sightseeing and came back for shower and bags. Upgraded to a nice city view room on the 16th floor and I was granted a late check-out at 4pm as a Platinum. Only complain: ethernet cable not working during my stay, contacted tech stuff and they were unable to help me. I would come back to this property.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Utrecht
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I've never gone wrong with Westin before, but at the same time it's hard to be excited since with every hotel chain, you pretty much know what you can expect. Westin is good, what can I say. Rooms were beautiful and the location for this property is very good. It's two minutes walking from 4th Avenue (where Fluxx and the other action is).

I forgot some shaving stuff and the concierge was nice enough to drop some off in my room.

Staff was super helpful and made sure I got up at 3 o'clock to catch my flight.

There are lots of great hotels in SD, but I will probably stay here again when I go back to SD.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a high floor so you get a beautiful view over downtown SD and if you're lucky a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear WytzeNL,

I’m delighted you feel that you can never go wrong with Westin! I’m also glad you enjoyed our new modern room design and prime location in the heart of downtown. What pleases me most however, is how helpful you found the staff to be - especially in ensuring you didn’t miss your flight!

We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to San Diego.

Bad Schonborn, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Let me start with the only bad part of my stay, at check-in time the rooms were not ready and at the end I was more or less 60 minutes waiting for a room, but this got solved and for sure a little area for improvement. Anyway, the room was one of the newly renovated rooms and was technically and from the bed really great. The room has a large LED TV, a panel where you can connect your PC / iPad to the TV, some green features like automatic turnoff of lights if there are no movements in the room, very nice amenities, etc. so really great. The location is also great, with dozens of restaurants nearby (less than 2-4 minute’s walk) in the gaslamp district, and for sure the connection to the Horton Shopping Mall, so eat and shop and sightseeing all together. The restaurant was great, very nice service, the eggs were made to order and the selection of fresh fruits was excellent. Maybe some variety of Yoghurts could be added .... All in all, an excellent stay, very friendly service, a Concierge who loves her job and really helps not just shows something on the map, but call if tables are available, or if a store has specific thing you are looking for!

Room Tip: The three upper floors are for SPG (Rewards Member) and have a nice view over the city.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I cant say enough how nice our experience was. We checked in and it went very smooth. staff was friendly and courteous. I have stayed at other places but this made me feel like it was a home away from home.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear Ms_Merchant

Nothing could sum up our commitment better, or be more uplifting! than to know we made you feel at home. Mission accomplished!

West Babylon, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I stayed here with my boyfriend for 2 nights at the tail end of a West Coast Trip. This place is in an excellent location. The Gaslamp Quarter is 2 blocks away, with tons of shops and restaurants. The Horton Mall is literally next door and there is also a ton of shopping here. Concierge was awesome, as they provided recommendations as to where to go and approximate travel times by both foot and cab.

The room was pretty standard for a city hotel. Possibly on the smallish side, but I'm from New York, so small has a completely different meaning when it comes to hotel rooms. There is a little bit of an issue with noise. I could hear a lot of movement and water running in rooms nearby. We ate breakfast at the hotel restaurant and were pleased with the food. From the buffet, you also had the option for made to order omelets and oatmeal. Our server was so nice, and I cannot remember his name, but he deserves a shout-out.

Of course, the Westin Heavenly Bed was amazing. I swear one day I will save my pennies and buy one for our home (you really can buy it!) The pillows were down feather, and I'm allergic, so for anyone else who is, just ask for foam pillows. Shower was great. Kohler fixtures and a great rainshower head.

If I go back to Sand Diego, which I absolutely will, I would stay here again. Thanks Westin for always being a great brand.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear caribe_chic

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review! It was great to read that you enjoyed your stay, our amenities, and the service you received from the staff - especially our concierge and restaurant teams.

And you’re right! You really can buy a Heavenly Bed (and all the linens too) by either going to westin-hotelsathome.com or through our partnership with Nordstrom’s and Pottery Barn. The Westin At Home collection offers all of our wonderful bath products, our customized white tea scented products, bath robes and even our unique lighted shower mirror. It would be like waking up in a Westin every day!

Once again, we appreciate your feedback and look forward to seeing you soon.

Be well,

Bakersfield, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Upon check in we were notified by the bell staff that the rooms were newly remodeled. We were staying in a suite and everything was tan, including the walls, carpets, couch and pillows and drapes with very few pictures on the walls. The furniture looked more like something out of a Holiday Inn than a Westin. The bell staff was very good but not sure would ever stay at this Westin for the high price. The water pipes made noise sounding like someone was dragging furniture above our room, day and night. We always stay at Westins, not very happy with this one

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Joannethev –

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. I will personally follow up with our team in regards to the noise from the water pipes. The modern room design is focused on a neutral color palette, energizing textures, natural wood and stone accents. The new modern look reflects a simple, refined style that provides guests with a sense of balance. Our rooms come accented with the signature Heavenly Bed and the NEW Heavenly Rain Shower. Additionally the guest room features include custom closets and reading lights, Heavenly Mirrors, instant plug ‘n play technology, and multi-use custom Westin designed accent tables that can be used as a working area or an in-room dining table.

We always strive to provide excellent customer service to every guest, so I am pleased to hear that our bell staff was a highlight to your stay and was able to meet all of your expectations. I hope you will give us another try in the future.

Keri Robinson

Been to The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter? Share your experiences!