“Best Bloody Mary” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter

Save Saved
You added The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter to your Saves list
The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   910 Broadway Circle, San Diego, CA 92101 (Formerly The Westin Horton Plaza San Diego) (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #41 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Best Bloody Mary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Michele's Bloody Mary, as listed in the hotel bar's cocktail menu, is about the best I've ever tasted, and I usually make my own. Michele, herself, is very attentive, remembers your prior orders!, and concocts her marvelous cocktail from scratch, right then and there.

Room Tip: The average rating I gave to cleanliness was simply because of the pungent smell of cigarette in the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Turkish first
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This hotel is located right in the gaslamp within walking distance to many restaurants and bars. I would have loved it if they had a shuttle for guests so we could have seen a few more parts of town that weren't close to the hotel. The rooms were very nice, housekeeping did a decent job, and room service was prompt and tasty. We did experience a few bottle-necks at the elevators which was really frustrating. At one point the line extended all the way into the lobby. Another time we waited over ten minutes on the 9th floor for an elevator to reach us.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at 3 and 4 star hotels in San Diego and this hotel is a 3 star hotel. We arrived on July 4 an hour after check in time. We are travelling with a baby and requested a king sized bed to put our baby in between us. The rude, uninterested employee who didnt maintain any eye contact told us there were no king beds available in this large 16 story hotel. The hotel was not yet crowded and I don't see how they ran out of king beds already. The couple standing in line in front of us also with a baby were told by another employee that she would be happy to set them up with a king bed. Instead, we got two double beds the size of Motel 6 beds. I am shocked that a 4 star hotel gives customers double beds. My husband is over 6 feet tall!

Next, we asked for adjoining rooms so my mother in law could be next door to us and help us with the baby. Again, after staring at her computer for a long time, she told us all we could not only NOT have adjoining rooms or king beds, we couldn't even be on the same floor!! The hotel wasn't even busy yet so how did they give away all their rooms already!

As if all of that wasn't bad enough, we asked for a crib at checkin. We are now at 9am the next morning. After calling in the request yesterday, we still haven't been given a crib. My husband and I had to sleep in separate beds with our daughter in the bed with my husband surrounded by pillows. Needless to say he didn't sleep well in the 'Heavenly' bed. I guess the couple before us who was helped with another employee got the only available crib.

When I asked the same lady at the front desk where we could go see fireworks, she again didn't look up to say she didn't know with no suggestion as to who to ask.

Also, we could hear noise from other rooms. I will give that a pass since they probably heard our daughter crying in the middle of the night. She wasn't comfortable at all.

To top it all off, this is the first trip we have taken since our daughter was born, and it is the week of both my and my husband's birthdays and our anniversary!! We have come to San Diego for so many years and we were expecting to have a nice time. We are 'stuck' here for one more night.

This hotel seems to have gotten its 4 star status from its location, not its customer service or the hotel itself. We will not come here again and will continue to post our experience on various sites.

One positive note is Roman the bell hop. He was very knowledgable of the area, has been at this hotel for 19 years, and provided such great service upon checkin and checkout. And every time we saw him during our stay, he greeted us with a smile and hello. He deserves 5-stars. Thanks Roman!

• Stayed July 2013
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Tania K -

Thank you for taking the time to personally recognize Ramon, one of our fabulous luggage attendants. He is a true asset to our team and as you mentioned, his tenure with the hotel speaks to his pride and commitment to his work.

The 4th of July is a very busy time for the hotel and San Diego. San Diego is one of the top choices for 4th of July celebrations, not just for our out of town guests but for locals as well. The Big Bay Boom is known to bring in thousands of people every year.

We truly strive to ensure all our guests experience what Westin has to offer and accommodate all their requests as best possible. It is unfortunate we fell short with you during your stay and hope you will reconsider our hotel and other Westin's when traveling in the future.

Kind Regards,
Keri Robinson,
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I recently stayed at this wonderful property, for five nights. After checking out, and heading to my next destination, I realized that I had left my watch in the room's safe, which I thought was emptied. I immediately contacted the property, and was in contact with Matthew with their security department. I explained what happened, and he assured me that he would investigate immediately my requested. I was relieved when he called me back minutes later that he had retrieved my watch, and was placing it in the hotel's safe. Upon returning to the property, I was met by Martell with their security department and was given my watch back to me. These two individuals Saved the Day for me, and let me enjoy the rest of my trip.
Kudos to these two wonderful gentlemen !!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
MustacheMan1

Great to hear you got your watch back and were able to enjoy the rest of your trip. I will make sure that both Matthew and Martell know how much you appreciated their efforts. If a future trip to San Diego is on your agenda, we’d love to welcome you back!

Kind regards,

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The rooms are spacious and nice we were told they were remodeled a little over a year ago. The downfalls are the pool area is a little small and doesn't lend to relaxing environment, and the elevator makes this awful beeping noise on every floor. The location is great if you're looking to be downtown and a close walk to everything. Just a stones throw to lots of great night life.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Travel_bum99 -

I am pleased to read you found our location to be one of our best attributes. As you mentioned - we are very close to the nightlife, restaurants and shops of the Gaslamp Quarter and adjacent to the Horton Plaza shopping mall. With our very centralized location - you can get to all corners of downtown within 15 minutes walking or a quick 5 minute cab ride.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to San Diego.

Kind Regards,
Keri Robinson,
Chandler, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Very nice hotel, room was nice, clean and comfortable. The Concierge was very helpful. We were there on July 4 and tried to get a dinner reservation at The Fish Market. When we called, we were told they were not taking reservations. When we mentioned this in passing to the Concierge, she said "really!... let me give them a call". She called and we were placed on a "preferred list" for 7PM. When we got there, the restaurant was filled to capacity and the line to put your name on a list for a table was very long. When we reached the reservationist, we gave our name and we were asked, did we want a table on the outside on the water or inside? We were shock, said on the water" and were "Immediately" taken to a table! We had perfect seats to enjoy the 9PM fireworks display. Parking is valet (a major mall/shopping center is next door... also at a cost, you "could" park there and walk over to the hotel... but that is a hassle). The valet service (getting the car anytime we needed it) all went very smoothly; the only downside is that the valet parking is $36 per night, which was the highest among any of the other hotels in the area. The pool and hot tub were a disappointment, but then again, if you go to San Diego in the summer, chances are you are going so that you can go to the beach.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
LenFromAZ

So happy to hear that our concierge was not only able to get you a last minute dinner reservation on the 4th of July, but also on the preferred list with a prime spot for viewing the fireworks show! I never tire of hearing how the staff creates lasting impressions. They truly have a passion for providing excellent service and I’m glad they were able to make your stay a memorable one.

Kind regards
Avondale Estates, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I was recently a guest at the westin gaslamp in San Diego. My National Association was hosting a conference at the hotel so I spent just shy of a week there. My stay was enjoyable and the meeting rooms were more than adequate, except for the one room with a large pillar in the middle which blocked view of the speaker for many attendees.
The highlight, however, was a guided run with a bellman, Kevin J. Upon reading the guest services book of the hotel (something I have finally learned to do early in a stay rather than later), I learned that I could book a run/workout with a Westin Employee. I went to the concierge desk and learned that Kevin J. took guests on runs by appt. I went over to Kevin J. and he booked a run for me at 6:30 the next day, coming in 1 hour early to do so. I asked if I needed a group and he replied that he was happy to do this for just me, or more. Cost? Zero for guests. Tips? Yes, of course. Kevin met me the next morning and took me on a run through the city to the Harbor, giving me interesting facts along the way. Half way we stopped for squats, lunges, push ups and jumping jacks, then we headed back. As a woman who enjoys a good run while traveling, this beat the treadmill, gave me a local's view of the city and made me feel safe in an unfamiliar city.

bonniekal1960

Tremendous review! I assure you I will let Kevin know how much you appreciated his assistance. Our Westin Run program is extremely popular with guests, and for good reason. Where else can you get a personally tailored workout combined with a sightseeing tour and fun facts about San Diego!

Be well,
Keri Robinson

Been to The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter? Share your experiences!