“Saving the Day !!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter

You added The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter to your Saves list
The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   910 Broadway Circle, San Diego, CA 92101 (Formerly The Westin Horton Plaza San Diego) (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #50 of 272 Hotels in San Diego
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Saving the Day !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I recently stayed at this wonderful property, for five nights. After checking out, and heading to my next destination, I realized that I had left my watch in the room's safe, which I thought was emptied. I immediately contacted the property, and was in contact with Matthew with their security department. I explained what happened, and he assured me that he would investigate immediately my requested. I was relieved when he called me back minutes later that he had retrieved my watch, and was placing it in the hotel's safe. Upon returning to the property, I was met by Martell with their security department and was given my watch back to me. These two individuals Saved the Day for me, and let me enjoy the rest of my trip.
Kudos to these two wonderful gentlemen !!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
MustacheMan1

Great to hear you got your watch back and were able to enjoy the rest of your trip. I will make sure that both Matthew and Martell know how much you appreciated their efforts. If a future trip to San Diego is on your agenda, we’d love to welcome you back!

Kind regards,

Keri Robinson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The rooms are spacious and nice we were told they were remodeled a little over a year ago. The downfalls are the pool area is a little small and doesn't lend to relaxing environment, and the elevator makes this awful beeping noise on every floor. The location is great if you're looking to be downtown and a close walk to everything. Just a stones throw to lots of great night life.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Travel_bum99 -

I am pleased to read you found our location to be one of our best attributes. As you mentioned - we are very close to the nightlife, restaurants and shops of the Gaslamp Quarter and adjacent to the Horton Plaza shopping mall. With our very centralized location - you can get to all corners of downtown within 15 minutes walking or a quick 5 minute cab ride.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to San Diego.

Kind Regards,
Keri Robinson,
Chandler, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Very nice hotel, room was nice, clean and comfortable. The Concierge was very helpful. We were there on July 4 and tried to get a dinner reservation at The Fish Market. When we called, we were told they were not taking reservations. When we mentioned this in passing to the Concierge, she said "really!... let me give them a call". She called and we were placed on a "preferred list" for 7PM. When we got there, the restaurant was filled to capacity and the line to put your name on a list for a table was very long. When we reached the reservationist, we gave our name and we were asked, did we want a table on the outside on the water or inside? We were shock, said on the water" and were "Immediately" taken to a table! We had perfect seats to enjoy the 9PM fireworks display. Parking is valet (a major mall/shopping center is next door... also at a cost, you "could" park there and walk over to the hotel... but that is a hassle). The valet service (getting the car anytime we needed it) all went very smoothly; the only downside is that the valet parking is $36 per night, which was the highest among any of the other hotels in the area. The pool and hot tub were a disappointment, but then again, if you go to San Diego in the summer, chances are you are going so that you can go to the beach.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
LenFromAZ

So happy to hear that our concierge was not only able to get you a last minute dinner reservation on the 4th of July, but also on the preferred list with a prime spot for viewing the fireworks show! I never tire of hearing how the staff creates lasting impressions. They truly have a passion for providing excellent service and I’m glad they were able to make your stay a memorable one.

Kind regards
Avondale Estates, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I was recently a guest at the westin gaslamp in San Diego. My National Association was hosting a conference at the hotel so I spent just shy of a week there. My stay was enjoyable and the meeting rooms were more than adequate, except for the one room with a large pillar in the middle which blocked view of the speaker for many attendees.
The highlight, however, was a guided run with a bellman, Kevin J. Upon reading the guest services book of the hotel (something I have finally learned to do early in a stay rather than later), I learned that I could book a run/workout with a Westin Employee. I went to the concierge desk and learned that Kevin J. took guests on runs by appt. I went over to Kevin J. and he booked a run for me at 6:30 the next day, coming in 1 hour early to do so. I asked if I needed a group and he replied that he was happy to do this for just me, or more. Cost? Zero for guests. Tips? Yes, of course. Kevin met me the next morning and took me on a run through the city to the Harbor, giving me interesting facts along the way. Half way we stopped for squats, lunges, push ups and jumping jacks, then we headed back. As a woman who enjoys a good run while traveling, this beat the treadmill, gave me a local's view of the city and made me feel safe in an unfamiliar city.

bonniekal1960

Tremendous review! I assure you I will let Kevin know how much you appreciated his assistance. Our Westin Run program is extremely popular with guests, and for good reason. Where else can you get a personally tailored workout combined with a sightseeing tour and fun facts about San Diego!

Be well,
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

The hotel is perfectly located to the gas lamp district as well as the zoo, museum, and Balboa park. I was able to walk to the gas lamp district, 2 blocks away. I took one bus to the zoo, museum, and Balboa park. It took me only 15 minutes by bus and the stop is only one block away. It is also located close to banks, a Starbucks, and Panera if you don't want to spend too much for food. It is also very close to the airport.

The hotel has a pool and other outside areas if you need to do some work but want to get outside the hotel for a bit without actually leaving it.

The rooms were big enough with a chair and end table to do some work off the bed if you wish. There was a desk but it isn't the most inviting as it faces the wall.

traveler1202

We definitely are perfectly located! Being right next door to the Westfield Shopping & Entertainment mall, there’s certainly something for everyone, be it strolling through one of the many unique shops or visiting an “old friend” (Nordstrom and Macy’s) or even catching a movie or play – all within steps of the hotel. A few steps further and you are right in the middle of the Gaslamp district with over 125 restaurants, nightclubs and so much more.

I was also glad to know that you enjoyed your room. With the completion of our $25 million dollar renovation about a year ago, including the complete transformation of every guest room, a brand new restaurant and beautiful new design throughout, we were excited and very proud to receive a AAA 4 Diamond rating.

We hope to welcome you back someday!

Kind regards
Santa Clarita, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I became engaged a short time ago and began looking at wedding venues in San Diego's Gaslamp area. The Westin Gaslamp immediately caught my eye. I emailed Mary who was quick to respond, go over options, and provide suggestions based on my party size, wants, and needs. I visited the Westin Gaslamp to take a tour of their wedding locations/ballrooms. I knew ahead of time that Mary wouldn't be at the location, and she had told me to see the concierge (she gave me her cell phone number for me to come by the day before or contact her if I needed anything when I was at the location, but i knew there was a wedding that day and didn't want to be an inconvenience). I was extremely impressed with the professionalism and courteousness of the staff. My mother and I arrived and went straight to the gentleman at the concierge, Tom, who was extremely accommodating and called security to show us around (the rooms were locked and they had full access) While we waited, the young woman up front comped our valet. It was refreshing to meet people who were helpful and seemed to actually care about our experience. Everyone we encountered not only knew who Mary was (you'd be surprised how many hotels we checked out where the staff knew very little, let alone who was the contact for events, even AFTER the contact told them that we were coming by!) but had nothing but wonderful things to say about her and also how great she was at her job. The two security gentleman, Matt and Jon, who showed my mom and I around were awesome! I wasn't expecting much given that weddings seemed very far off from their field of expertise, and they were just going to show us the location, but they were extremely knowledgeable and talked to us about the different rooms and gave us suggestions that other people had done before and really took their time to make sure we had seen all we wanted/needed to see. Believe it or not, it was one of the best experiences we had checking out a location! We were VERY impressed with the experience and everyone at the Westin Gaslamp. I'm not one to reach out with kudos, we really were blown away with Mary, the staff and the experience!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

The Westin Gaslamp Quarter is not actually in the Gaslamp District but two blocks away. However, that does not detract from the great location (which is the main reason I've given four stars) - adjacent to the Horton Plaza Mall, a short walk to the Gaslamp area and many other downtown attractions including Petco Park.

There's nothing truly special about the hotel - the exterior can best be described as ordinary, it has been updated but the rooms are on the smallish side, there's only one restaurant and the bar is somewhat impersonal and open to the lobby. The service is, however, excellent right from the time you pull up in your car through check in.

My beef - parking is very expensive ($36 a day) though this is generally the case in downtown San Diego.

We stayed in room 1407 which was a "deluxe city view". As noted above, it was on the smallish side but it was quite comfortable.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter? Share your experiences!