“Walking Distance From Almost Everything In Downtown San Diego” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter

You added The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter to your Saves list
The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   910 Broadway Circle, San Diego, CA 92101 (Formerly The Westin Horton Plaza San Diego) (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #49 of 273 Hotels in San Diego
Chandler, Arizona
“Walking Distance From Almost Everything In Downtown San Diego”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Very nice hotel, room was nice, clean and comfortable. The Concierge was very helpful. We were there on July 4 and tried to get a dinner reservation at The Fish Market. When we called, we were told they were not taking reservations. When we mentioned this in passing to the Concierge, she said "really!... let me give them a call". She called and we were placed on a "preferred list" for 7PM. When we got there, the restaurant was filled to capacity and the line to put your name on a list for a table was very long. When we reached the reservationist, we gave our name and we were asked, did we want a table on the outside on the water or inside? We were shock, said on the water" and were "Immediately" taken to a table! We had perfect seats to enjoy the 9PM fireworks display. Parking is valet (a major mall/shopping center is next door... also at a cost, you "could" park there and walk over to the hotel... but that is a hassle). The valet service (getting the car anytime we needed it) all went very smoothly; the only downside is that the valet parking is $36 per night, which was the highest among any of the other hotels in the area. The pool and hot tub were a disappointment, but then again, if you go to San Diego in the summer, chances are you are going so that you can go to the beach.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
LenFromAZ

So happy to hear that our concierge was not only able to get you a last minute dinner reservation on the 4th of July, but also on the preferred list with a prime spot for viewing the fireworks show! I never tire of hearing how the staff creates lasting impressions. They truly have a passion for providing excellent service and I’m glad they were able to make your stay a memorable one.

Kind regards
Keri Robinson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Turkish first
Avondale Estates, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I was recently a guest at the westin gaslamp in San Diego. My National Association was hosting a conference at the hotel so I spent just shy of a week there. My stay was enjoyable and the meeting rooms were more than adequate, except for the one room with a large pillar in the middle which blocked view of the speaker for many attendees.
The highlight, however, was a guided run with a bellman, Kevin J. Upon reading the guest services book of the hotel (something I have finally learned to do early in a stay rather than later), I learned that I could book a run/workout with a Westin Employee. I went to the concierge desk and learned that Kevin J. took guests on runs by appt. I went over to Kevin J. and he booked a run for me at 6:30 the next day, coming in 1 hour early to do so. I asked if I needed a group and he replied that he was happy to do this for just me, or more. Cost? Zero for guests. Tips? Yes, of course. Kevin met me the next morning and took me on a run through the city to the Harbor, giving me interesting facts along the way. Half way we stopped for squats, lunges, push ups and jumping jacks, then we headed back. As a woman who enjoys a good run while traveling, this beat the treadmill, gave me a local's view of the city and made me feel safe in an unfamiliar city.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
bonniekal1960

Tremendous review! I assure you I will let Kevin know how much you appreciated his assistance. Our Westin Run program is extremely popular with guests, and for good reason. Where else can you get a personally tailored workout combined with a sightseeing tour and fun facts about San Diego!

Be well,
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

The hotel is perfectly located to the gas lamp district as well as the zoo, museum, and Balboa park. I was able to walk to the gas lamp district, 2 blocks away. I took one bus to the zoo, museum, and Balboa park. It took me only 15 minutes by bus and the stop is only one block away. It is also located close to banks, a Starbucks, and Panera if you don't want to spend too much for food. It is also very close to the airport.

The hotel has a pool and other outside areas if you need to do some work but want to get outside the hotel for a bit without actually leaving it.

The rooms were big enough with a chair and end table to do some work off the bed if you wish. There was a desk but it isn't the most inviting as it faces the wall.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
traveler1202

We definitely are perfectly located! Being right next door to the Westfield Shopping & Entertainment mall, there’s certainly something for everyone, be it strolling through one of the many unique shops or visiting an “old friend” (Nordstrom and Macy’s) or even catching a movie or play – all within steps of the hotel. A few steps further and you are right in the middle of the Gaslamp district with over 125 restaurants, nightclubs and so much more.

I was also glad to know that you enjoyed your room. With the completion of our $25 million dollar renovation about a year ago, including the complete transformation of every guest room, a brand new restaurant and beautiful new design throughout, we were excited and very proud to receive a AAA 4 Diamond rating.

We hope to welcome you back someday!

Kind regards
Santa Clarita, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I became engaged a short time ago and began looking at wedding venues in San Diego's Gaslamp area. The Westin Gaslamp immediately caught my eye. I emailed Mary who was quick to respond, go over options, and provide suggestions based on my party size, wants, and needs. I visited the Westin Gaslamp to take a tour of their wedding locations/ballrooms. I knew ahead of time that Mary wouldn't be at the location, and she had told me to see the concierge (she gave me her cell phone number for me to come by the day before or contact her if I needed anything when I was at the location, but i knew there was a wedding that day and didn't want to be an inconvenience). I was extremely impressed with the professionalism and courteousness of the staff. My mother and I arrived and went straight to the gentleman at the concierge, Tom, who was extremely accommodating and called security to show us around (the rooms were locked and they had full access) While we waited, the young woman up front comped our valet. It was refreshing to meet people who were helpful and seemed to actually care about our experience. Everyone we encountered not only knew who Mary was (you'd be surprised how many hotels we checked out where the staff knew very little, let alone who was the contact for events, even AFTER the contact told them that we were coming by!) but had nothing but wonderful things to say about her and also how great she was at her job. The two security gentleman, Matt and Jon, who showed my mom and I around were awesome! I wasn't expecting much given that weddings seemed very far off from their field of expertise, and they were just going to show us the location, but they were extremely knowledgeable and talked to us about the different rooms and gave us suggestions that other people had done before and really took their time to make sure we had seen all we wanted/needed to see. Believe it or not, it was one of the best experiences we had checking out a location! We were VERY impressed with the experience and everyone at the Westin Gaslamp. I'm not one to reach out with kudos, we really were blown away with Mary, the staff and the experience!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

The Westin Gaslamp Quarter is not actually in the Gaslamp District but two blocks away. However, that does not detract from the great location (which is the main reason I've given four stars) - adjacent to the Horton Plaza Mall, a short walk to the Gaslamp area and many other downtown attractions including Petco Park.

There's nothing truly special about the hotel - the exterior can best be described as ordinary, it has been updated but the rooms are on the smallish side, there's only one restaurant and the bar is somewhat impersonal and open to the lobby. The service is, however, excellent right from the time you pull up in your car through check in.

My beef - parking is very expensive ($36 a day) though this is generally the case in downtown San Diego.

We stayed in room 1407 which was a "deluxe city view". As noted above, it was on the smallish side but it was quite comfortable.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

The Westin Gaslamp Quarter is perfectly situated in a downtown San Diego that only gets better and better. Not that long ago, you pretty much went to San Diego for Mission Bay and the Zoo. Now, with a revitalized downtown and Gaslamp Quarter making beautiful use of turn-of-the-century buildings, there are more bars, restaurants, clubs, shopping and small theatre than you could probably pack into a single trip. Along with the harbor, baseball stadium, and other attractions all serviced by the incredible "trolley" light rail system. The Westin's in the middle of it all. The hotel is straightforward, with a design leaning toward the essentials. Not a lot of opulence, but everything you need. The staff is incredibly efficient and warm, from desk staff to concierge to bell staff, valets, and maintenance. Anyone who travels knows that the takeaway from a stay in a hotel is an accumulation of little things, and the Westin does all the little things right.

The rooms are a bit compact, but adequate, the colors relaxing, the bathrooms well designed. And, of course, the Heavenly Bed. The dining is, like the hotel, stripped to the essentials, with a restaurant / buffet and a small snack stand (that closes early). Perhaps because there are so many good restaurants just outside the door, the hotel decided against its own "fine dining" room.

Westin hotels tend to be well managed, extremely clean, and well maintained, and the Gaslamp Quarter hotel is no exception. If you're looking for a fantastic HOTEL experience, with all the bells and whistles, there are probably more glamorous or romantic choices. For comfort, good service, and easy access to all the city proper has to offer, The Westin Gaslamp Quarter covers the bases. I'd recommend an upper floor, for a better view, and that you request a "bay view," as the "city view" tends to be a whole lot of rooftop.

Room Tip: Our a/c system had been turned off (probably to conserve energy), which we didn't realize till t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
twinlions

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay on TripAdvisor. You’re right! downtown San Diego and the Gaslamp Quarter have certainly changed over the years and we are delighted to be located right in the heart of this magnificent transformation.

It was wonderful to read that you found the staff and service throughout the hotel to be “incredible” and that we do all the little things right. It is very important to us that our guests enjoy their experience and are left with a memorable impression – so it’s rewarding to hear - Mission Accomplished!

We hope to see you again soon.

Best,

Comox, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

This hotel has a great location to downtown and walking distance to all the amenities.
The staff are all wonderful, we were greeted by Brianna at the front desk and when she found out it was our anniversary, she checked with her manager and upgraded us to the 16th floor with a bay view. What a beautiful room and great view of the bay, the room is a good size and the heavenly bed made our stay even better. The room also had a mini fridge, which came in handy and they even supplied us with two bottled waters everyday during our one week stay.
We ordered pizza from the restaurant downstairs, was very good.
We had dinner downstairs the last night, bit pricey for portion of steak that you got, but overall wasn't bad.
The best part of our stay was the staff, from the front desk to the concierge and to the valets out front.
All made our stay very memorable.

Room Tip: Try to get a room highest floor with a bay view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Lee8934

Belated Happy Anniversary and thank you for choosing to spend it with us! It was wonderful to read that Brianna was able to make your stay even more special by upgrading you to a great room with a terrific view. But reading that the staff was the best part of your stay and very memorable, really made my day!

Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to welcome you back the next time you are in San Diego.

Kind regards,