“Absolutely NOT 4 Star Hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter

You added The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter to your Saves list
The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   910 Broadway Circle, San Diego, CA 92101 (Formerly The Westin Horton Plaza San Diego) (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #41 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
La Habra, California
“Absolutely NOT 4 Star Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Quality of hotel is OK, not great. Who gives this hotel 4 star? They charge everything as 4 star but the quality is absolutely not there. Parking for a night is about $35, a $20 breakfast at the lounge was not that great. Most of staff were great except one of the concierge at my stay.
No hotel guide booklet was in the room. No snacks nor drinks were offered just like Super 8. No on-demand movies are offered. A coffee maker offered in the room took 5 minutes for a cup of coffee. 1 Shampoo were offered for 2 night. Toilet was loud and the sounds from bathroom can be hear loud and clear from the bed.
I can hear bunch of 2 star hotel guests (all adults) shouted in the hallway after 10PM. I guess It is not their fault but I realize those people go to Westin San Diego. I saw there are bunch of bachelor party people, too. I go SD quite often for family trips and I realize Westin is not my hotel.
I always loved Westin in Vancouver Canada. They are true 4 star hotel, not in San Diego.

Most of the problem I have is the sound barriers. I can hear someone's conversations from hallway clearly. The quality is poor or design flaws.

As a result, I won't go back and I do not recommend to people who want their privacy and require relaxing environment. Furthermore, it should be maximum 3 stars rather than 4 stars.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is a nice hotel. Clean, modern, etc. It is also in a pretty cool neighborhood near lots of restaurants, bars, etc. This makes it a little bit noisy at night with all the partying going on.
$36/night to park was a too much and I ended up parking in overnight lots nearby. Kind of a hassle. Also, and this is true for a lot of places, they charge extra for wifi. I'm in hotels all over the world and it seems like the more you pay for a room the more extras they charge you for. Its 2013, I get free wifi at a coffee shop, stop charging me $20/day for internet access.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the mall side of the hotel, it should be quieter there.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Mike S

I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us and found the neighborhood a great place to experience the many venues our location has to offer. We appreciate you taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor and I hope on your next trip you will consider returning to The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter. We’d love to welcome you back!

Kind regards,

Jacksonville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Loved my stay here. The room was nice, the location is great, and the service is tremendous. Big Shout OUT to Ramon J! He helped me with directions, my bags, and shuttle to the airport. Not to metntion such a friendly man everyday to walk by.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Kathy H

I am so pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay and found the service to be tremendous – especially from Ramon! Providing our guests with a personalized and memorable experience is a top priority and reading comments such as yours are very rewarding. I assure you I will let Ramon know that you gave him a “Big Shout Out”!

Tampa, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We visited this Westin with our two children and I have to say we had an incredible experience. The staff here went out of their way to be accommodating and made us feel very special. Amy, at the front desk was very attentive and allowed us to check in a bit early with a room with an incredible view. Later that day, Ray (sp), the director of fun, saw our teary-eyed 4 year old and asked if she could offer something to cheer her up. She introduced herself and pulled out a red wagon filled with fun toys for our little one to pick from. Our daughter picked a hula grass skirt for dress up, and Ray also gave our older daughter one so that they could dress-up together. She also asked us to call her when we returned later if we'd like her to bring some fun things to the room to entertain the kids! On our final night, the girls were wearing their skirts and the youngest was teaching us to hula. We ordered room service, and the attendant, Alsede, brought the food up for us. She was very nice and asked if she could get a hula dance lesson while she was there. Of course we were impressed by her personal touch and appreciated watching her and our daughter do a brief hula!! The, after about 20 minutes, Alsede surprises us with a fabulous dessert as a thank you for the dance teacher!!! I think it is us who should be thanking the Westin staff for a wonderful visit!!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Not sure when this hotel was renovated, but everything looked brand new and none of the negatives in some of the reviews were apparent to me. The friend i was traveling with had stayed here years ago when it was under a different name, and pointed out how different things were from before.

The newness of it might have also been the reason why we were able to get such a great weekday rate of $70/night. Maybe they just reopened and haven't been fully booked out yet? There is another Westin about three blocks away that looks a bit older (Westin San Diego), so don't get these two mixed up.

Everything about the place is spacious, there's a pool, new restaurants, and very helpful/personable staff. The only negative if I had to mention any, would be that everything is so picture perfect that it seems like you're in a sci-fi utopia.

Close to everything, buses, trams, ferries, Horton Plaza, Gaslamp Quarter, etc. There's also a Panera Bread across the street, and a Chipotle around the corner for some quick food when time's short. The bar/lounge is pretty busy at the end of the evening (post-conference), and there's a nice looking modern Italian restaurant downstairs, but I generally prefer to go out when there's so much to enjoy in a city like SD.

Room Tip: Internet is usually a paid extra at higher end hotels, but if you're on a lower floor (we were o...
spacemanspiff007

I’m glad you enjoyed experiencing our total hotel transformation! Completed just about a year ago, from top to bottom and inside out, we were one of the first Westin hotels to introduce this new modern design that focuses on the elements found in nature while utilizing eco-friendly materials throughout. We also opened Pinzimini, our Italian inspired restaurant, which I hope you had a chance to try as the reviews have been terrific!

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I hope you’ll have an opportunity to return to San Diego as we’d love to welcome you back.

Budapest, Budapest, Hungary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Room was very clean. Pool was nice with a good view. Also like everybody sad the location is excelent great to walk around many great places. The only thing i didn´t like is that they charge for WIFI, since we were international costumers this was a problem, even IHOP from across the street provides it. The BEST thing no doubt was the staff, tehy were always very very kind and respectfull, special thanks to Chris Becerril and the rest of the crew..

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Drewsanchez

Very nice to know you were pleased with your stay and also had a chance to enjoy the pool. Of course the best part was reading about the impression the staff made on your trip. I want to especially thank you for mentioning Chris and the rest of the valet “crew” and let you know I will pass along your comments.

Thank you for choosing the Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter. We hope to welcome you back again one day soon!

Kind regards,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

A great place to stay - RIGHT in the middle of everything so you can walk about easily, nicely appointed place, nice to have a pool.
The BEST thing about this hotel were the lovely concierge staff who took a lot of time and care to make sure we had a lovely stay & got to eat some amazing food - thanks to Marina, and also to Katherine & Tom for your kind attention!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Nic S

I agree! The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter is a great place to stay. Along with the many advantages you mentioned, one of our greatest assets is our dedicated staff, including our top notch concierge team, and I was pleased to read that they helped make your stay with us a memorable one.

If your travels should ever bring you back “across the pond” we would love the opportunity to welcome you back.

Keri Robinson

Been to The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter? Share your experiences!