“Nice Location, views, and rooms!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter

You added The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter to your Saves list
The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   910 Broadway Circle, San Diego, CA 92101 (Formerly The Westin Horton Plaza San Diego) (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #54 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Certificate of Excellence 2014
LA, CA
“Nice Location, views, and rooms!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Seriously could not be a better location for visiting downtown SD and the Gaslamp Quarter. Post office, mall, lots of great eateries right nearby. Room was clean and bright, overlooking the Quarter. Note that there is valet parking ONLY, and its $36/night, so factor that in to your price point. Staff was very nice about it when we left things we needed in the car, though. Didn't check out the amenities much as it was only one night, but we were happy.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Batmanda

Thank you for your feedback and I am happy to know you enjoyed your stay. Hopefully on your next trip you will have a little more time to experience the many amenities the hotel has to offer. I would definitely recommend trying our restaurant, Pinzimini, as it is a favorite among both our guests and the local crowd.

Keri Robinson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Turkish first
Kent, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed for 2 nights at the Westin Gaslamp Quarter, and were very pleased with all aspects. The staff were very friendly and welcoming, the hotel was clean and modern and the rooms were nice. We had a great view of the bay during our stay, which was most excellent! They have a pretty nice outdoor pool area, and an inside hot tub - which we enjoyed during one night. The workout room was pretty impressive, although we didn't use it on this stay. Perhaps the best thing about the hotel is the location! Literally right by/connected to Horton Plaza Mall, there are lots of shopping options if that's your thing. It's also within walking distance to the lively Gaslamp District and many other notables that downtown has to offer! Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a high floor, for the view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
kwestalot

It sure sounds like you and your wife really enjoyed your stay with us! I am happy you were able to explore the many nearby attractions. Hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back on your next trip to San Diego and you’ll get a chance to visit our Westin Workout Fitness Studio. It certainly is impressive! The Fitness Studio is available 24-hours a day and offers state of the art equipment. And, to make life easier for our guests who like to workout while away from home, we have partnered with New Balance to offer complete workout gear. Guests are charged a single $5 fee for use of athletic gear during their stay - So you don’t have to pack a thing!

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We stayed a night at this hotel as I had used points to stay a week at a competitor. But for Starwood's persistence in charging for in room internet for SPG members, ( a cash grab that I experience with no other chain I deal with - Marriott, Fairmount, Priority) I wish I had used my Starwood points and stayed here. This was a great hotel. The room was exquisitely furnished and included a microwave and fridge. It is close to everything and a Panera Bread and Chipotle are across the street. It is right beside the Horton Square Shopping Complex and a couple of blocks from 2 trolley lines. I would highly recommend ( except for the internet cash grab). I was very disappointed - I used the public internet for 9 minutes and my wife used another terminal for 7 or 8 minutes simultaneously. It was in excess of their 15 minute public access free limit ( I seem to remember this being 30 daily minutes in the past)and we were charged $5.95 after we checked out. Unbelievable to do that to a former Platinum member.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
NSTraveller493

Thank you for your feedback and I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay and the many amenities both the hotel and our location have to offer.

I noticed that you mentioned being a former Platinum member and would like to take this opportunity to invite you to consider renewing your membership. Along with the multitude of benefits all SPG members receive, Platinum members are automatically provided free in-room internet throughout their stay, without any time limitations. In addition, all our guests can access free unlimited use internet throughout the lobby area.

We value your loyalty to Starwood and appreciate you choosing the Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter for your recent trip to San Diego. I hope we see you again soon!

Los Gatos
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Lovely hotel, enjoyed my (Non-Feather) signature bedding!
It was the parking and Vlaey staff that really epitomozed hospitality and customer care. Diego welcomed me and accomodated my questions and concerns. Very helpful and all with a smile.
Upon my departure Christopher B. was warm and welcoming with a great smile and can-do attitude! He sent me along my long drive with a complimentary bottle of water!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
SA M

It was wonderful to read that you enjoyed your stay and, in particular, found the valet staff to epitomize hospitality. Comments like that are very rewarding and honestly just make my day! I also want to thank you for specifically mentioning Christopher. You can be assured I will share your feedback with him.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor and for choosing to stay with us.

Kind regards,
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We stayed at the Westin Gaslamp in early April for 5 nights and really enjoyed our stay. The hotel is very well located downtown (near the heart of the Gaslamp District which hosts a lot of restaurants, nightlife and shopping). It's also close to Balboa Park.

The hotel itself has recently been renovated and is very clean and contemporary. The room was large and the bed comfortable. They are also making an attempt to "go green"; they allow the option to decline housekeeping each day during your stay for a $5 credit back. We declined and received $20 back off of our room. You can still ask for clean towels/toiletries and receive this kickback.

My husband and I both used the fitness room during our stay and it's very spacious and updated. Most hotels we visit have a really cramped and sweaty fitness room so this was a pleasant surprise.

My only negative comment is that parking is really expensive ($36/night). It's valet and basically your only option. We can be frugal (epecially with parking - we hate paying for parking!) so it was tough for us to shell out this kind of cash. Since the parking was so steep we ended up paying more than we would have liked. We were aware of the parking situation before we arrived so it wasn't a surprise, but I wanted to point it out in case others weren't.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
tenmylove

Very nice to know that you enjoyed your recent stay with us! I was pleased to read that you chose to participate in our Make a Green Choice sustainability program. Westin is very committed to reducing water and energy consumption and I thank you for helping us in our efforts. The program incorporates the use of high efficiency lighting throughout the entire hotel, VOC finishes on furniture, Eco-friendly cleaning products and a recycling program for guest room amenities through our partnership with Clean the World - just to mention a few of the many initiatives we have in place!

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor!

Kind regards,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

This hotel definately lives up to its reputation, from the friendly staff at the front desk to the valet. This particular hotel is close to everything from a post office next door to a three story westfield mall within walking distance. The gaslamp strip famous for its bars, clubs and restaurants are just footsteps from the hotel as well; so close there is no need for a cab. I wanted to go to the beach, being my first time in San Deigo and was glad to see the buses, rail systems were not only very close by but reasonably priced and easy to follow. I think this is one of the best hotels not only because it is a four star but because of its location... its perfectly placed.

Con..
As with all big named hotels the wifi isnt free. I do not understand why, especially for how much it cost to stay a night, but its still worth the stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Saint e

I absolutely loved reading that we are on the top of your list! Being that it was your first trip to San Diego, I’m glad you found our location to be perfect for everything you wanted to do and that getting around was easy. I was also very pleased to know that you felt the hotel lived up to its reputation and found the staff friendly and helpful. For your next trip, I do want to let you know that we provide our guests with unlimited free internet throughout the lobby area.

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Kind regards
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Great service and experience at this hotel in 2012. The experience was so good that we returned in 2013. Tina in the lobby lounge went out of her way last year to make our stay special for our son's 5th birthday. Every time we came and left the hotel Tina made a point of talking to our son. Great job!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
CP
I was extremely pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter so much that you returned again this year! Nothing could be higher praise and I assure you I will pass along your kind comments to Tina. She is definitely a superstar - and just one of our many exceptional staff members.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. We can’t wait to welcome you back on your next trip!

Kind Regards,
Keri Robinson

Been to The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter? Share your experiences!