“Westin Gaslamp San Diego” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter

Save Saved
You added The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter to your Saves list
The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   910 Broadway Circle, San Diego, CA 92101 (Formerly The Westin Horton Plaza San Diego) (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #41 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Windermere, Florida
“Westin Gaslamp San Diego”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

This was a superb hotel with a fantastic location! Walk out the front door and to the right about 50 yards is the esclator to the mall shops, across the street is Panera and to the left down one long block is a terrific grocery store. If you don't go up the esclator and walk thru the path at the end left or right are a variety of restaurants. We walked a couple blocks to the right to eat at a delicious Indian restaurant. Best location hotel I have ever stayed at with friendly staff and comfortable rooms.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Tisner

What a terrific review and portrayal of our location! To be described as a superb hotel and the best location you have ever stayed at with a friendly staff and comfortable rooms is very rewarding. I am glad to know you enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind regards
Keri Robinson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

If you've already selected the Gaslamp Quarter as home base for your San Diego trip then you've already made one great decision. The area is chalk full of great restaurants, shopping, the Padres, and the Convention Center. Public transportation is readily available as well.

Within the Gaslamp the Westin is in a prime location. During our stay we didn't utilize our car as single time. Six days, no car. That was quite nice.

The hotel itself clearly underwent a recent renovation to move it into the same realm as the other modern and sleek properties in the area. Overall the feel is nice. The bar area is open late and surprisingly well populated. I ate breakfast at the restaurant twice and the food was fine and the prices reasonable for a hotel.

The rooms are well appointed and pleasant. We stayed in an upgraded room on the 16th floor, which was about 20% larger than our friend's room on the 8th floor. The bed is extraordinarily comfortable. Every room has a small fridge, which is always useful, a decent amount of closet space, and a great bathroom. The shower has a rain showerhead, so even those tall folks will be pleased. We found the towels to be plush.

The hotel had a couple faults. They only give you a single robe. I've always just felt that they should either get rid of the robe completely or shell out and give you two. Not a big deal, but worth noting. Like most Starwood properties the Westin has WiFi internet, but you've got to pay for it. $10 per day. Even in the lobby. I've been to a lot of hotels and even those that charge for inroom internet usually lay off in the lobby. Not here. They'll generously give you 30 minutes free, but again, that's ONLY in the lobby. Weird. They do have a couple of Apple desktops you can use with your room key, but those give you 15 minutes only. All said, it's not a huge deal, but could be better. The parking is expensive at $36/day. There are plenty of parking garages nearby, so I recommend looking around.

The single most bizarre thing about the entire place is that the lobby has a faint sewage smell. It goes away quickly, but still off putting. And I was not the only one who noticed.

In summary, the hotel is nice, the rooms are nice, the staff is nice, the amenities are nice, but they will nitpick your dollars away.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on one of the Starwood Preferred Guest Room floors. The rooms are bigger and have...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Eric T

It is nice to read that you had an excellent stay and enjoyed the many features in your room. Did you know that in addition to delivering a spa-like shower experience, our showerheads help reduce water consumption without sacrificing water flow and are an important component in our commitment to sustainability. And, just like our Heavenly Beds, the showerheads are a guest favorite too!

It was unfortunate to hear about the faint odor you briefly encountered in the lobby. We have looked into this unusual occurrence and I’m happy to say it has been resolved.

Thank you for reviewing The Westin Gaslamp Quarter on TripAdvisor. We value your feedback and hope to see you again should you make a return trip to San Diego.

Kind regards
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Westin Gaslamp was refurbished in 2012 and is "like new" in most all regards. And the location is pretty much perfect for the downtown area.

The hotel is a high-rise in the downtown area. Upper floors will have a good view of the city scape or the bay. All of the usual Westin amenities are in effect. Parking is available via valet, and it's not cheap, but the valets are very quick to retrieve cars 24/7. Taxis are also readily available at the door.

You'll find an italian restaurant downstairs along with a good bar, but you're staying in the gaslamp district so you have lots of food and drink options within easy walking distance. For those who do not know San Diego, the Gaslamp district is a historic area that has been converted into an entertainment district. You'll find dozens of bars and restaurants of all types here, it's a great place to bar crawl if that's your thing.

The hotel is also right next door to a large mall, so plenty of shopping next door as well as a large theater if you want to take in a movie.

This hotel is the typical Westin experience, great service, no complaints at all. Only thing that could make it better would be a self park option. But again the valet was quick, just be sure to factor parking into the price of your stay if you have a car.

Room Tip: Starwood preferred floors are near the top, this is where you want to be. Not only will this give y...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
ThorHiney

It was great to read that The Westin Gaslamp Quarter lived up to your expectations; that you had no complaints and experienced great service from all the staff. I was also glad to know that you enjoyed our restaurant, Pinzimini, and the bar. With the many restaurants and nightclubs nearby, it’s always nice to have the option of staying in!

Thank you for taking the time to provide TripAdvisor with your feedback - and for rating the hotel a perfect 5!

Kind regards,
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Hotel is near the nightlife and the outdoor mall. Rooms where great, staff was friendly and everything was in walking distance. There is a movie theater nearby if it rains the tour bus stops close by if you want to go see Corrando Island. The restaurants in the Gaslamp district are all really good too.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
dabbadessa

We do have a great location and I’m so glad you enjoyed staying with us! Coronado Island is just one of the many easily accessible locations. And with our close proximity to the world famous San Diego Zoo, SeaWorld and historical Balboa Park, it’s the perfect destination for family vacations. Not to mention our year round terrific weather! There are so many things to do near and around the hotel that I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back someday soon.

Boston, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I checked out of the Westin today after a three night stay for a conference. What a fantastically run hotel!! Every aspect of the hotel was kept up and extremely clean with all the amenities someone could want: very comfy bed, robe, and Starbucks in room coffee. The fitness center and pool area were also very nice. The pool area was small but was not crowded and the outside furniture/lounge chairs were very cushioned and comfortable- I stayed out there for three hours my first evening sipping wine pool-side and reading. Totally relaxing. I also can't go without mentioning the in-room dining. I order in-room dining at least once on every trip I'm on and am almost always disappointed and left wishing I'd had just gone out. This was not the case here- the food was served promptly despite it being a Friday during the busy dinner hour, hot, and absolutely delicious. (I had veal meatballs and a fettuccini pesto)

All this said, the best part of my stay was the customer service. From the door/valet men, to the front desk, to the gentleman answering the service phone, everyone was extremely kind, cheerful, and helpful. I didn't see a single hotel employee who wasn't smiling and going the extra mile-from a personal note from the housekeeper to the waiter who brought my wine to the pool, and without asking included a glass of ice water with lemon, everyone made me feel fortunate to have booked my stay at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Lisa B

Amazing! Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your recent experience here at The Westin Gaslamp Quarter in San Diego. It is extremely important to us that our guests feel welcome and are provided genuine and truly memorable service. It was gratifying to read that you found “every single employee” to be smiling, helpful, and most importantly, intuitive to your needs.

It was also nice to know that you enjoyed your in-room dining experience. The meatballs and fettuccini pesto is very popular with our guests – and a personal favorite of mine too!

Should your travels bring you back to the West Coast, we would be delighted to have the opportunity to welcome you back.

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I had stayed at this Westin a few years back and was not impressed. The hotel was dark and dreary, and the rooms were aging. I read tripadvisor reviews about the renovations and decided to give it another try.

Lobby - The lobby received a massive facelift, with the new lobby being open and airy with what appeared to be a comfortable lounge area and large bar (I meant to try the bar but never got the chance). The new lobby actually reminds me a bit of the Westin San Diego, which is 2-3 blocks away.

Room - The rooms were touched up and the color scheme is a dark-ish beige, which is a vast improvement over the dark wood/black style of before. The bed is the classic Westin bed, which I like, but others do not. I had a room on a higher floor and really didn't hear much noise. The room was spotless, and roomy. I had a king room, which has 2 armchairs by the window and a expandable (you really need to see it to understand, it opens up from the top) coffee table between them.

Starwoods - My status was recognized and I was asked for my amenity choice. There are few suites in this hotel and did not expect, nor was I offered a upgrade.

I gave this Westin 5 stars due to the fact that my stay was good, not that any one aspect was amazing. The Westin Gaslamp is a great hotel because it keeps with the Westin standards and is in an amazing location. I also stayed at the US Grant which is 2 blocks away, but the two properties are not comparable.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Eric E,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor - and for giving the hotel another try!

We have gone through quite a remarkable transformation and I’m glad you enjoyed experiencing our new modern design and feel on this return trip. Hopefully on your next visit you will have the opportunity to stop by the bar and lounge where we feature wines from California and Italy, as well as custom cocktails designed by our mixologist.

Best,
St. George Island, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Good downtown location close to nightime activities. Actually close to many things (Coronado Island, zoo, baseball, boardwalk, Seaworld) to do in San Diego. Very courteous staff. Comfortable beds & rooms. Quiet. My one complaint was $38 for 24-hr parking was expensive for me. Would recommend otherwise.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
run4fun2

It was great to read your review and we appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback.

I am glad to know you found your room to be comfortable and quiet. Our Heavenly Bed and Heavenly Bath certainly provide a relaxing environment, which we believe to be essential in helping our guests feel their best. As we all know, there’s nothing like a good night’s sleep! Our prime location is also a definite plus and allows guests easy access to so many attractions, restaurants, shopping and nightlife - and all without having to rely on a car!

Thank you again run4fun2 for choosing The Westin Gaslamp Quarter. We hope to welcome you back the next time you are in San Diego.

Keri Robinson

Been to The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter? Share your experiences!