“Expected More” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter

Save Saved
You added The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter to your Saves list
The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   910 Broadway Circle, San Diego, CA 92101 (Formerly The Westin Horton Plaza San Diego) (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #40 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Weimar, California
“Expected More”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

It was a mix of passion and non-passion. Front desk personnel lacked heart. Focus seemed to be on one-another each time I approached. In addition I had a very special promotion and had to inform them of all it offered, even though once I mentioned they seemed to find it quickly on their screen, including at check-out. The staff in the lounge area and the restaurant were exceptional. Both helpful and passionate. The hotel appeared to have gone through an upgrade but still looked a bit tired in the room and hallway areas. The lobby area had a trendy appearance. I just did not get that wow feeling from my stay. With so many choices in the area probably will pick elsewhere on our next trip.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
westingaslampSD, Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Thank you for choosing the Westin Gaslamp Quarter, San Diego. We understand you have many choices when selecting a hotel and we are glad you chose us. Thank you for your kind comments about our lounge staff. They truly enjoy what they do and are so energized to be in their new space (bar and restaurant). I am sorry to read your experience was quite the opposite with the front office team and have taken the opportunity to share your feedback with the team to evaluate what we can adjust to ensure we are meeting and exceeding the basic expectations of our guests throughout their entire experience.

Thank you for your time and feedback. It is through guest feedback like yours that we can revisit our standards and ensure we are at our best all the time.

Kind Regards,
Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Turkish first
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

I checked into the W and it was so awful I checked out 30 minutes later. As I am a platinum guest I had the hotel make me a reservation at the westin but there are 2 in san diego and the W driver took me to the wrong one.

A good mistake. The westin gaslamp had just been redone and was lovely. Good service ,great room,great stay.Was there 4 nights

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback with Trip Advisor. I am sorry to hear of your arrival experience at the W Hotel, however, am glad things worked out the way they did and we were able to accommodate you here at the Westin Gaslamp Quarter. We truly value you as a Platinum Starwood Preferred Guest and I am extremely happy we were able to meet and exceed your needs.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future, should your travels bring you to San Diego.

Culver City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

We just returned from a very nice weekend trip at Westin's San Diego Gaslamp Hotel.

They recently remodeled the hotel with excellent results. We booked 2 rooms, one for my wife and myself and the other for our son.

The reservation request was for connecting rooms on a high floor on the west side (quiet side) of the hotel.

What can I say? Everything went well.

The valet people were all friendly and proficient.
The check-in lady hailing from Sweden was friendly
as well. I believe her name was Sofia?
In fact, I found all the staff at the hotel friendly in an energetic way. A good thing I must say!
The hotel is adjacent to the Horton Shopping Mall,
making it a convenient place to visit.
Our rooms on the 15th floor were inviting, having been done in neutral colors. The beds were comfy
as were the chairs including the one at the spacious desk. The fridge was a nice convenience.
The partial view of the ocean brought much light into
the room.
The bathrooms functioned well.
However, the water pressure at the sinks could have been a little better but nothing really to complain about.
Our room service breakfast was adequate and the same could be said about our dinner in the hotel's restaurant. Both were convenient but I think there are better opportunities outside the hotel.
I have read the complaints here about the hotel, most of which were dwelling on the hotel's problems prior to its remodeling.
However, our stay being post-remodeling, we found
all those problems absent.
The entire staff did their work in a friendly stress-free manner. The hotel's valet parking, entrance, lobby, reception area, bar, elevators, hallways, rooms, and restaurant were remodeled with a modern inviting decor.
We have recommended this hotel to several of our friends.

Room Tip: Upper floor (15th or 16th) west side of the hotel
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

overall we had an excellent stay at your hotel. your staff was very helpful. areas for improvement: the temperature in the workout area is kept too warm and we complained that the refrigerator in our room smelled. even after it was cleaned by your staff it still smelled

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Thank you for choosing the Westin Gaslamp Quarter, San Diego and for sharing your recent experience with Trip Advisor. I am pleased to read our staff was helpful and you had an excellent experience overall. We recently completed a large air handler project that has already improved the air flow within the building, including the WestinWORKOUT Fitness Studio. I apologize this fix was taking place while you were here. We have seen a huge change in a matter of days. Thank you for providing us with the feedback and we hope you will come back and visit us again soon and see the difference.

Be Well,
Anaheim Hills, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stay'd at the Westin Gas Lamp Quarter's the hotel itself is wonderful, located just right, Horton Plaza walking distance as well as the Gas Lamp Quarter's, the only issue that I had was that the pool closed at 10:00pm, by the time we returned from dinner the time my kids had in the pool was so limited, needs to stay opened later

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent post on Trip Advisor. We appreciate you sharing your experience and feedback about the Westin Gaslamp Quarter. I am happy to read you enjoy the overall experience and location and apologize the pool hours were not conducive to your needs. Being a downtown property, we have to follow the local city ordinance in regards to noise and therefore the pool hours are set accordingly (6am - 10pm). Noise travels very easily and loudly off the buildings.
We hope you will visit us again if in San Diego.

Kind Regards,
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

For a recent trip to San Diego, I opted to use some frequent flier miles I had saved up to help defer the cost of a hotel. The limitations of this approach led me to select the Westin Gaslamp Quarter hotel based on its excellent location in the heart of the Gaslamp Quarter.

Approaching the hotel, I had the only difficulty of the entire stay there. The hotel entrance and its valet service area can best be described as a "chaotic mess." Cars were left everywhere, taxis attempted to skirt through the mess into the attached Westfield Shopping Center. The valets themselves seemed to be a bit confused, not even having the tags to hand out and making us wait in our car until they could return with them, but also not informing us that was they case.

Once we got into the hotel, the results of the remodel were immediately apparent. The very clean, well appointed rooms and an immaculate lobby and restuarant area help to correct our first impression caused by the valet mess.

With everything new, there's very little to say about the room experience beside the fact that it was practically flawless.

Checkout was a breeze, the hotel staff was friendly and helpful for all of our questions and needs.

As we were leaving, I overhead one of the valets standing around say "It looks like it's going to be a quiet sunday." and then I promptly had to wait 15 minutes for them to bring me my car.

I'd recommend this hotel if you're looking for a place in the Gaslamp Quarter and don't mind walking a block or two from a nearby parking ramp... I also implore the hotel to retrain/replace their valet parking service to correct their major flaw as soon as they can.

Room Tip: AVOID THE VALET PARKING! It's a ridiculously expensive utter mess.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
westingaslampSD, Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Thank you for your recent post on Trip Advisor recapping your experience at the Westin Gaslamp Quarter. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the hotel and all it had to offer, location, new restaurant/bar, coffee shop, lobby, etc. The transformation is truly amazing and we continue to receive feedback like yours approving of the end result. I am glad our staff left an impression of being helpful and friendly with you, as they too are so proud of our new product.
It is unfortunate to hear of your experience with the valet team. I have taken the opportunity to share your feedback with them and will continue to work with the team to make corrections to ensure a smooth and warm welcome, as well as, an appreciative and quick departure.

Thank you for your feedback. It is truly through guest feedback that we are able to make adjustments and improve our services.

Be Well,
Pflugerville, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We visit San Diego every year and this was our best stay yet! The service was great. The room was perfect for our stay. We spent 4 days at this hotel and enjoyed every day there. We would recomend this place to anyone who is going to be in the Gas Lamp district.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter? Share your experiences!