“location location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter

Save Saved
You added The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter to your Saves list
The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   910 Broadway Circle, San Diego, CA 92101 (Formerly The Westin Horton Plaza San Diego) (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #41 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Anaheim Hills, California
“location location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stay'd at the Westin Gas Lamp Quarter's the hotel itself is wonderful, located just right, Horton Plaza walking distance as well as the Gas Lamp Quarter's, the only issue that I had was that the pool closed at 10:00pm, by the time we returned from dinner the time my kids had in the pool was so limited, needs to stay opened later

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
westingaslampSD, Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Thank you for your recent post on Trip Advisor. We appreciate you sharing your experience and feedback about the Westin Gaslamp Quarter. I am happy to read you enjoy the overall experience and location and apologize the pool hours were not conducive to your needs. Being a downtown property, we have to follow the local city ordinance in regards to noise and therefore the pool hours are set accordingly (6am - 10pm). Noise travels very easily and loudly off the buildings.
We hope you will visit us again if in San Diego.

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

For a recent trip to San Diego, I opted to use some frequent flier miles I had saved up to help defer the cost of a hotel. The limitations of this approach led me to select the Westin Gaslamp Quarter hotel based on its excellent location in the heart of the Gaslamp Quarter.

Approaching the hotel, I had the only difficulty of the entire stay there. The hotel entrance and its valet service area can best be described as a "chaotic mess." Cars were left everywhere, taxis attempted to skirt through the mess into the attached Westfield Shopping Center. The valets themselves seemed to be a bit confused, not even having the tags to hand out and making us wait in our car until they could return with them, but also not informing us that was they case.

Once we got into the hotel, the results of the remodel were immediately apparent. The very clean, well appointed rooms and an immaculate lobby and restuarant area help to correct our first impression caused by the valet mess.

With everything new, there's very little to say about the room experience beside the fact that it was practically flawless.

Checkout was a breeze, the hotel staff was friendly and helpful for all of our questions and needs.

As we were leaving, I overhead one of the valets standing around say "It looks like it's going to be a quiet sunday." and then I promptly had to wait 15 minutes for them to bring me my car.

I'd recommend this hotel if you're looking for a place in the Gaslamp Quarter and don't mind walking a block or two from a nearby parking ramp... I also implore the hotel to retrain/replace their valet parking service to correct their major flaw as soon as they can.

Room Tip: AVOID THE VALET PARKING! It's a ridiculously expensive utter mess.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
westingaslampSD, Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Thank you for your recent post on Trip Advisor recapping your experience at the Westin Gaslamp Quarter. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the hotel and all it had to offer, location, new restaurant/bar, coffee shop, lobby, etc. The transformation is truly amazing and we continue to receive feedback like yours approving of the end result. I am glad our staff left an impression of being helpful and friendly with you, as they too are so proud of our new product.
It is unfortunate to hear of your experience with the valet team. I have taken the opportunity to share your feedback with them and will continue to work with the team to make corrections to ensure a smooth and warm welcome, as well as, an appreciative and quick departure.

Thank you for your feedback. It is truly through guest feedback that we are able to make adjustments and improve our services.

Be Well,
Pflugerville, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We visit San Diego every year and this was our best stay yet! The service was great. The room was perfect for our stay. We spent 4 days at this hotel and enjoyed every day there. We would recomend this place to anyone who is going to be in the Gas Lamp district.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

As annual travelers to Sunny San Diego, we love the location of this Westin as we can walk to so many places. The staff, particularly Tom Turman and Catherine Bouvier as concierges, front desk Raquel R. and Danielle M. makes us feel like we are very VIP! We loved the old hotel, but the remodel is quite lovely! Every time we make a request, all is handled quickly and with a smile!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
westingaslampSD, Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to personally recognize our staff members. I will be sure Tom and Catherine of the Concierge team and Danielle and Raquel of the Front Desk team are recognized. We empower our associates to do what it takes to leave a lasting impression with our guests and I am happy to read they did this with you during your recent stay.

Thank you again for your review.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

I spent one night here. The experience was fair, not normal Westin Standards. From Valet to check in not very professional . No bag man was available people were carting their own luggage to the rooms . Pretty laid back, not up to normal standards. Rooms were fair, small but great beds.

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your recent experience with Trip Advisor. I am disappointed to read that your arrival experience was non-existent. This is not the norm and I have addressed your comments with our valet and luggage assistance team. I sincerely apologize on behalf of the team, as we strive to ensure we create connections with all our guests from the moment they arrive through their departure.
I appreciate your bringing this experience to my attention and hope you will give our hotel and other Westin's a try in the future, should your travels allow.

Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

The above pretty much sums it up. For the price it was a great location and the beds, of course, were amazing. The service sucked big time. Everybody was ignoring us and our questions. Nobody smiled at us or said hi. It was like they didn't want to be there. Really gave off a poor impression of what the Westin stood for.

As long as you aren't looking for smiley and quick service, it's a great place to stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
We appreciate you taking the time to share your recent experience with Trip Advisor. It is unfortunate to read service is where we missed the mark with you. This is usually where we score the highest and I am sorry to hear this was the lasting impression the team left you with. I have shared your feedback with the team and I know they are just as disappointed to hear the comments as I am.
I am happy to hear the location and beds lived up to your expectations.
I hope your future travel plans bring you back to San Diego and you can give our team another try. I truly believe this was an isolated incident and know we are better than what you experienced.

Thank you again for your feedback, as it is truly valuable and helps us continue to improve.

Edwardsville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Nice clean hotel with a wonderful pool. Concierge very helpful in getting discount tickets to Sea World. Overall, a great stay. However, I was very disappointed in how registered guests were treated during the time a professional baseball team was exiting the lobby. Also, to have stayed eight nights at a cost of well over $1000, we did not get even a thank you from the check out desk. I may be old fashioned in regard to manners, but I believe that reflects very poorly on a service industry.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with Trip Advisor. I am disappionted to hear of your departure experience. No one guest is more important than another and when hosting professional teams, there are additional requirements for security to their contract, but this should not affect our other guests' experience. I am sincerely sorry for this and will revisit our process based on your feedback. I am happy to read the rest of your stay went well and you enjoyed the location, pool and concierge team. We can do better than this and hope we will get another opportunity with you in the future.

Director of Operations

Been to The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter? Share your experiences!