“One of our favorite hotels” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter

Save Saved
You added The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter to your Saves list
The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   910 Broadway Circle, San Diego, CA 92101 (Formerly The Westin Horton Plaza San Diego) (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #41 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Denver, Colorado
“One of our favorite hotels”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

As annual travelers to Sunny San Diego, we love the location of this Westin as we can walk to so many places. The staff, particularly Tom Turman and Catherine Bouvier as concierges, front desk Raquel R. and Danielle M. makes us feel like we are very VIP! We loved the old hotel, but the remodel is quite lovely! Every time we make a request, all is handled quickly and with a smile!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
westingaslampSD, Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to personally recognize our staff members. I will be sure Tom and Catherine of the Concierge team and Danielle and Raquel of the Front Desk team are recognized. We empower our associates to do what it takes to leave a lasting impression with our guests and I am happy to read they did this with you during your recent stay.

Thank you again for your review.

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

I spent one night here. The experience was fair, not normal Westin Standards. From Valet to check in not very professional . No bag man was available people were carting their own luggage to the rooms . Pretty laid back, not up to normal standards. Rooms were fair, small but great beds.

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your recent experience with Trip Advisor. I am disappointed to read that your arrival experience was non-existent. This is not the norm and I have addressed your comments with our valet and luggage assistance team. I sincerely apologize on behalf of the team, as we strive to ensure we create connections with all our guests from the moment they arrive through their departure.
I appreciate your bringing this experience to my attention and hope you will give our hotel and other Westin's a try in the future, should your travels allow.

Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

The above pretty much sums it up. For the price it was a great location and the beds, of course, were amazing. The service sucked big time. Everybody was ignoring us and our questions. Nobody smiled at us or said hi. It was like they didn't want to be there. Really gave off a poor impression of what the Westin stood for.

As long as you aren't looking for smiley and quick service, it's a great place to stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
We appreciate you taking the time to share your recent experience with Trip Advisor. It is unfortunate to read service is where we missed the mark with you. This is usually where we score the highest and I am sorry to hear this was the lasting impression the team left you with. I have shared your feedback with the team and I know they are just as disappointed to hear the comments as I am.
I am happy to hear the location and beds lived up to your expectations.
I hope your future travel plans bring you back to San Diego and you can give our team another try. I truly believe this was an isolated incident and know we are better than what you experienced.

Thank you again for your feedback, as it is truly valuable and helps us continue to improve.

Edwardsville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Nice clean hotel with a wonderful pool. Concierge very helpful in getting discount tickets to Sea World. Overall, a great stay. However, I was very disappointed in how registered guests were treated during the time a professional baseball team was exiting the lobby. Also, to have stayed eight nights at a cost of well over $1000, we did not get even a thank you from the check out desk. I may be old fashioned in regard to manners, but I believe that reflects very poorly on a service industry.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with Trip Advisor. I am disappionted to hear of your departure experience. No one guest is more important than another and when hosting professional teams, there are additional requirements for security to their contract, but this should not affect our other guests' experience. I am sincerely sorry for this and will revisit our process based on your feedback. I am happy to read the rest of your stay went well and you enjoyed the location, pool and concierge team. We can do better than this and hope we will get another opportunity with you in the future.

NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

I rented a car and park by myself at Horton plaza flat rate parking. Entrance is at 1st ave. it says $15 flat rate but it was only $10 when I parked there. This is not the mall customer parking, which has 3 hour free parking for mall visitors. You can park overnight after hours, but no in-and-out by one ticket.
I rented a car at Herzt at Hyatt, costed about $55 per day including tax and fee, was a nice small Nissan car. if you ask for rental car for small car, Westin will recommend a small local company, which costs the similar price ($40+tax and fees). However, this local company will more likely give you Kia cars, unless you pay more. I did not rent at this local company.

If you do not know how gaslamp distric looks like, you better research before you book this hotel. Gaslamp at night is a chaos and not kids friendly area. but I did not feel unsafe. I guess lots of adults are simply enjoying drinking at the bars. I just did not like this chaotic area. I will book elsewhere if i come back to San Diego.

Room Tip: They do charge Internet for $10 per day, and very slow. I am wondering if you can negotiate for free...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with Trip Advisor. It is unfortunate to read of your dissatisfaction with your recent stay here in San Diego. The Gaslamp is well known for the restaurants, night life and shopping. It is a safe area and has a lot to offer during the day and night.
There are options for parking and it appears you found one. I would caution that this lot and rate have tight restrictions - when you can enter and when you have to depart, no in and out privileges and minimal surveillance for your vehicles safety. We do not recommend these other locations for many reasons, including the restrictions. If you miss the specifics, it could cost you $60/night vs the published $10/night. Park with caution in city lots and ramps and be sure to read the fine print. Some of these options work for people but again, the hotel does not recommend it.
We hope you will come back to San Diego in the future and hopefully knowing the city a bit better, can find a location that best suits your needs.

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Westin Gaslamp:  Tripadvisor

This hotel has just gone through extensive renovations.  The lobby is beautiful, modern and spacious.  Staff were very nice and welcoming as we arrived and checked in.  When checking in I asked about internet access, to which the reply was a disappointment.  We each have our own iPads and have them with us when traveling.  If each of us wanted to have internet access at the same time, we would each need to pay $9.95 per day or have only one of us using one internet code on one iPad at a time to avoid paying double this charge per day.  There wasn't even a deal available as we would be paying this double charge for a 4 night stay e.g. stay 2 or more nights and pay a lower rate or something like that.  So in the end when we check out, they will have raked in $80 from us (yikes!).   I find it a gouge when hotels charge you for internet access.  How much extra overhead do they really incur by offering this to guests?
Our last hotel in Palm Springs had a $15/day resort fee which covered many things, including internet access regardless of how many computers per room were using it.

Other than that, location for the Westin Gaslamp is very good.  Close to many attractions within walking distance.  You'll need to either drive or take transit if you want to visit the zoo or Seaworld however.  Our room was nice and modern and a big bonus is that the windows actually open to get fresh air (unlike a lot of new hotels that have sealed windows).  At times however there was a bit of obnoxious crowd noise from the streets below which was annoying.  There is also a mini fridge in the room which was handy to keep a few small food items and drinks in.

Although a very nice hotel and good location, we will likely stay elsewhere on our next visit to San Diego where there is a better deal on internet charges.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your kind feedback of our recently transformed property with Trip Advisor. It truly feels "Westin" now and has all the new design features, like the living wall, front desk pods and the re-energized venues. I have shared your feedback with our IT Manager on how to accommodate travelers with more than one device at an affordable rate. This is something we are looking at companywide.

We do offer complimentary internet to our Gold and Platinum SPG guests, as well as, several room packages include WI-FI complimentary. We also offer a free 30 minutes in our lobby for any registered guest. I understand this doesn't completely solve the experience you shared but I am hoping the options will outweigh the challenges and entice you to give Westin's another try when traveling.

Thank you again for the feedback.

Ladner, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Annual vacation with 2 children ages 11 and 8. The overall stay was impeccable. The pool, service,location... probably one of the best hotels i have stayed at.The oncierge service was very helpful and even helped us negotiate some discounted rates with a ar rental company. The outdoor Horton plaza mall that surrounds the hotel provided a easy escape from all the sightseeing opportunities. There is also a full grocery store less than 1 block away.

Room Tip: As the hotel handles a lot of conventions, the higher you are up, the longer the wait for the elevat...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with Trip Advisor. I am happy to read your overall stay with us exceeded your expectations. Our concierge team is fantastic and I am so delighted they were able to assist you in more than just recommendations and reservations.

We look forward to welcoming you back for another annual vacation.

Be Well,
Director of Operations

Been to The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter? Share your experiences!