“A pleasant,good value, comfortable stay” 4 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #140 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersBronze level
Sydney, Australia
“A pleasant,good value, comfortable stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Very helpful and obliging staff made our stay extremely enjoyable and we would definitely return.
The room was clean,comfortable and quiet.OUr breakfast was good value with very tasty fruit always provided.And we could have a large mug of tea -which they even allowed me to have in a ceramic mug.There was a pleasant covered terrace outside the breakfast room where we could have our meal. Just one down side the noisy freeway which we were able to move away from for our subsequent nights.It was within easy walking distance of restaurants and the public transport hub.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street are much quieter as they are located away from the freeway which is extremel...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Steve P, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Old Town, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Thanks for the helpful feedback regarding your last stay with us. I am glad you enjoyed the Bistro and our patio, it is perfect for the San Diego weather! We have installed a second double pain soud proof window in our rooms facing the highway in order to resolve any highway noise you may have experienced.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

This hotel is in a good location to the sites of Old Town, including many restaurants within walking distance. The trolley stop is also close by. Sea World is less than 10 minutes away. I think there might be an airport shuttle also.
Pulling up to the hotel on a crowded Saturday is a bit difficult, but we were checked in right away and then parked in the parking garage.
We stayed in the main building and the room was comfortable and clean-no noise issues. We only had a view of the freeway, but we didn't spend that much time in the room anyway. My only small complaint was that in the bathroom, the toilet paper holder was quite far from the toilet! Kind of odd. There were plenty of towels and pillows and outlets. Free wi-fi in the room is always a plus.
Many hotels in the area have a free breakfast, but this one did not. There is a small restaurant and little snacks available for sale also. There is a small exercise room and also a small pool and spa. Parking is extra--$15 a night, but most hotels seem to charge for this in San Diego.
All in all, it was a good hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Steve P, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Old Town, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
My entire staff is glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay in Old Town. Next time you will have to try out our Bistro for breakfast and get a Starbuck's as we "Proudly Serve" Starbucks coffee, the only spot in Old town that does!
calhoun, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

I was in the annex, across the way from the lobby. The Internet was weak and I could hear my neighbor upstairs and next door...so my handy tip is to ask for a top floor room, closer to the Internet signal. I have stayed here several times before and love the location. You can park on the street if you want to avoid the hotel parking garage charge.

I love the location.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Steve P, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Old Town, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thanks for loyalty to the Courtyard Old Town. I will be sure to have the internet signal checked out in the annex building! See you back again soon.
San Jose, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I was looking for a hotel near the airport for a quick morning getaway.

1. Parking...no lot just street parking...must leave car outside and check in. Then instructed to drive around block to an unmarked garage.

Inside garage I did not feel safe.

2. Room...Small...ceiling very low... Felt Luke I was in a basement but I was on 2nd floor

Bed felt Luke it was rode hard and put away wet too many times...worn out

Because of the low ceiling the designer put in toilets with no height...very odd

Sink was outside bathroom..very tiny.

TV had limited analog channels...no digital.

People very nice.

• Stayed August 2013
I appreciate your feedback from your most recent stay. We are in the process of replacing all of our beds so you must have had one of the last few to get completed, I do apologize for that. Most of our guests find the gated secure parking very comforting knowing there cars will be safe. Our property is very unique as we are in Old Town and some of the design features cater to that Old Town feel. Thanks again for your feedback.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

The staff were all very helpful and friendly. The rooms were very clean. The hotel was always well kept. The pool and hot tube were fun after a day of site seeing.
The hotel restaurant was excellent. Not like usual hotel restaurants. This was affordable and had great food. Quick and friendly service.

You're a two minutes walk to at least a dozen very good restaurants.

What stands out the most is the location. It is 5-10 minutes from virtually every San Diego attraction. We made fun of our GPS because every time we put in a destination, it would say something like "Six minutes".

I wish there was a little most counter space in the bathroom.

Room Tip: Great location to all attractions.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
I appreciate your positive comments. Our new Bistro is perfect to grab a bite to eat for breakfast or dinner or have a cocktail in teh evening. You are correct our location is 5 minutes or less from Downtown, beaches, Sea World, etc.. Next time consider using the trolley system that is in Old Town it can take you to most of these places as well.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

I was headed for San Diego with my wife for a conference at the Convention Center, had just about resigned myself to paying the big bill I'd incur by staying at one of the conference hotels, and had my sister (a part-time travel agent) clue me in on staying near Old Town instead and taking the trolley back and forth to the conference (which is fairly cheap and easy to do). It was a great suggestion, and I landed at this hotel that turned out to be a fine place to stay (not quite making it to the Excellent category, but I considered it in part because of its location).

And this also put us next to Old Town, which made for a fun time when we were not involved in conference activities. I also found out that from the trolley center we could catch a bus right to Sea World, and all of this made for an unanticipatedly splendid vacation on top of our business when we were really expecting primarily to save some money. I've attended conferences at the Convention Center perhaps four or five times in the last decade, and the next time I do so I plan to repeat my plan for this one, probably at this same hotel since it worked so well for our purposes.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
We are so glad you found your way to my hotel. You hit the nail on the head, we are so convenient to get on the trolley and take it all over San Diego for a few dollars a day.
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I have traveled extensively for business and pleasure having stayed at numerous Marriott Courtyard properties. This one is the best. Very convenient to the SD Trolley system and great restaurants. Located in the middle of Old Town you can experience not only a wonderful place to stay but the history of how San Diego was founded. All sights are within walking distance and the area is robust with restaurants and they have shuttle service to/from the airport. The Trolley will take you downtown or all the way to Mexico border. Or if you prefer all the way up the coast to Oceanside on the Coaster or east through Mission Valley to the eastern parts of town.

The staff at the hotel make the experience the best. They are unintrusive but if you need anything they are right there with a smile. I highly recommend this hotel for business or pleasure...

Room Tip: Tell the manangement what you need and they will place you in the perfect location.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Been to Courtyard San Diego Old Town? Share your experiences!