“Great Location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #127 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Minnesota
“Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2009

I have stayed at this hotel before and was the reason I chose it again. I stayed in a poolside room which was newly renovated and quite large. My parents stayed in another building, the room was smaller and not as nice but they had a wonderful balcony with a beautiful view of the marina and city. They stayed for a week and were very pleased with everything. The hotel was very clean, well kept, and staff was very friendly and helpful.
The hotel is located in Point Loma which is on the other side of the airport but is a quiet area with no charges for parking (a HUGE bonus for this area). So basically you are within a 5 minute drive to any freeway via Rosecrans and less than 10 minutes to downtown. I would definately stay here again!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Hamilton, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2008

We arrrived, to be told to take our bags through the pool area which was opening and closing 2 gates,(our first key card did not work), then up a flight of stairs, no lift access, to the end of a dark corridor open to the weather. No help offered.The room really smelt awful and was dirty and stuffy. When I complained there was no hesitation in finding us a more suitable room in the newer part of the hotel, much better. Restaurant very reasonable and the food was good. Good bus access to the town and a great seafood place across the road.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Stirling, Scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2008

An adequate hotel for an overnight stay prior to an early a.m. flight from San Diego Airport, which is just a short distance away. The hotel seems tired - possibly it just has to cope with a lot of wear and tear. Unfortunately a top-floor room was directly beneath an A/C unit, and adjacent to a lift-shaft, and the continuous noise meant that sleep was impossible. The on-site restaurant was of a reasonable standard.

• Liked — Convenient location
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Otsego, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2008

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Bayside for a week long business stay. I arrived at the airport, not knowing what I needed to do to get the free shuttle. I called the hotel, immediately, to tell them that I was waiting for a shuttle, they made me wait over an hour and a half. I called the front desk after an hour and the front desk lady hung up on me because I was complaining! (Of course I was complaining!!) I got to the hotel around 2:00 pm, they told me I had to wait until 4:00 to check-in. (Ridiculous!) They sent me to the hotel's restaurant to have bite to eat...I paid in full for my meal. Later after 4:00 (after I finally checked in) they gave me coupons for 15%-off my meals for the next 7 days...that would have been nice for the meal I ate earlier! They really like to screw their customers!
After I got into my room, I noticed it smelled really musty, like wet garbage! The rooms looked like they were from the 70's. Nothing is updated! Everything was just very "old looking". This is not a nice hotel. It's very ghetto! Later, I noticed little fruit flies in my room! It was gross! I had to live in this room for 6 nights with bugs crawling on me at night. Oh and my shower's drain never worked. I stood in my own filth every time I took a shower!
Lets just say I couldn't wait to leave San Diego to go home! My clothes reaked so bad because of my musty room that I had to use the hotel's washing/drying units...I didn't want to be the "smelly" person on the flight back home. I was so happy to be at home when I got there. No bugs, no musty smells!
I won't recommend this hotel to anyone. If your okay with low rated hotels, that fine. I'm a five-star hotel kind-of-person. I've spent better nights in low-rated Mexico hotels! It just wasn't up to my standards and I will never go back.

• Liked — The Poolside view, the mini golf, the breakfast
  • Disliked — The rooms!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Coleraine, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2008

This is a fairly decent hotel - rooms were clean and functional but nothing flash - more or less what we had expected. Offers good amenities with a great restaurant adjacent and pool area with shuffle board, putting green and table tennis. Staff were helpful and friendly. Location not great but I think you need a car in San Diego anyway as it's pretty spread out.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2008

On January 25, 2008 we were traveling from North Carolina to Hawaii & since the flight is so long, wanted to stay overnight before heading out for Hawaii. After checking flights on the internet, found it was cheaper to fly into San Diego than LAX. Glad we did. San Diego is a smaller airport with friendly service. I booked the Holiday Inn Bayside after reading the good reviews on Trip Advisor & because they have a free 24 hour shuttle service. The Information Desk at the airport contacted the hotel for us & our driver was there quickly. The hotel is about 1 1/2 miles from the airport. Hotel check-in was handled efficiently & the gentleman at the desk was very nice. They have a restaurant next door & we were given free drink coupons. We asked for other eating options in the area that we could walk to & he recommended 2 pizza restaurants. We decided on the one across the street. The pizza was delicious. The hotel also offers for guests a business room with 2 computers & printers where we were able to print out our boarding passes for the next day. Our room was comfortable & clean. Nice thick fluffy towels & extra pillows. I would definitely recommend this hotel. In fact, we also stayed here on our return trip home from Hawaii.

• Liked — Friendly front desk; 24 hour airport shuttle; clean room
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2008

On a recent trip to the San Diego Marine Corps Recruit Depot to attend a graduation, we booked the kid's suite at the Holiday Inn Bayside. After spending the first night in the room, we were not pleased with that particular accomodation. The kids' suite Jungle Room was really intended for younger children. We called the front desk to ask for a change and they UPGRADED US TO A FABULOUS two-room suite at no extra charge!

Also, the heated pool at this hotel is really nice, along with a spa, shuffleboard, a weight room, ping pong...the cocktail lounge and the Bayside restaurant were also very pleasant features of this Holiday Inn location.

We also ordered room service and it was delivered on time with a smile.The Nintendo game console was out of commission in our room, but the engineering tech made sure he got to the bottom of the problem and in a couple of hours, the problem was fixed.

A great experience! Highly recommended especially for the excellent customer service. Thanks so much for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed January 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Holiday Inn San Diego-Bayside? Share your experiences!