“Nice Property but......” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #123 of 268 hotels in San Diego
Lexington, Kentucky
“Nice Property but......”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

Many of the other reviews mention that this is a property with a strange, cut up layout. This is certainly true if you are not in the newer main tower above the lobby.
The property has several buildings including a seperate pool and dining wing.
I was in the main tower and enjoyed a beautiful new room with a nice view of the harbor.
The property is within easy walking distance of multiple dining options and also offers a 24 hour shuttle to the aiport.
I look forward to my next visit!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Rhinna M, Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego-Bayside, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Dear Wildcat1897: Thank you so much for your nice comments about your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Bayside. I am glad that you enjoyed the amenities we have to offer and also the wide array of things to do and restaurants to go to within walking distance. We thank you for your business and looking forward in serving you again during a future visit to San Diego. Sincerely, Rhinna B Meyer - Rooms Division Manager

436 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
New York Mills, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

Not for business travelers. Several challenges. Distance to rooms ~ 1/2 block from lobby to room. Older hotel from what appears to be renovated apartment bldg. no interest or engagement from staff. Limited Resturant offering. Recommend other location well before this property. Not worth the $145 I paid. ............"..."....",,,.......bldg. no interest or engagement from staff. Limited Resturant offering. Recommend other location well before this property. Not worth the $145 I paid.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Rhinna M, Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego-Bayside, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Dear Seasoned2014:
Thank you so much for posting your comments regarding your experience during your stay at the Holiday Inn Bayside. I sincerely apologized for any inconveniences you might have experienced during your stay. We are currently undergoing renovation and we expect completion by this Spring. And maybe next time you can try and reserve the rooms in the Bayside Building. I am quite concern as well that you perceived our staff to be uninterested and unengaged. Unhelpful staff is unacceptable at any time. I discussed your comments with our Front Office Manager and will be a topic on their next staff meeting. We do have a restaurant on property that boasts a wide array of menus as well as restaurants within walking distance like the Liberty Station which is a home to 2 Breweries and about 20 plus restaurants. We look forward to serving you again during a future visit to San Diego and enjoy the wide array of things the area has to offer and provide you with the quality of service I wish you have received in the first place. Sincerely, Rhinna B Meyer - Rooms Division Manager
Phoenix
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

Visited San Diego over valentine's day weekend and stayed here in the new building at the hotel. Rooms were very clean, bright and new. We had pretty views of the harbor. The bed was very comfortable, bathroom really nice. Only complaints had to do with sound. The windows don't keep out the sounds of traffic and you can hear neighbors on both sides and above you. Staff was very helpful and gave great tips for exploring the local area on foot and recommendations for restaurants. We would definitely stay here again. Keep up the great work.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Vienna VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

I just stayed here the last night of a trip, since it was close to the airport. My room was very nice - spacious and well-furnished. I was put off by the multiple buildings, since the front desk was in a different building, as was the restaurant. My early departure meant I could not take advantage of the breakfast. I did run into the lobby for a newspaper - again the separate building was an irritant. My short internet use worked well, as did the large flat screen TV.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Rhinna M, Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego-Bayside, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear AndyZ18: Thank you so much for posting your comment regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Bayside. Please allow me to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced with the unique layout of the hotel. I know that many people are surprised to find that property is not your typical Holiday Inn as our 291 rooms are spread out all throughout. Maybe duirng a future visit to San Diego, you can reserve a room in our Bayside Building where the lobby is located. We would sincerely like another opportunity to win back your good faith to the hotel and we look forward to serving you in the future. Thank you so much! Sincerely, Rhinna B Meyer - Rooms Division Manager
los angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Just arrived home from staying here the last 3 nights. I stayed here for a work trip because all of the closer hotels to the Convention Center were full or a lot more expensive. When I first arrived and checked in I gave my rewards number and received no "extra perks". Almost ALL of the other Holiday Inns I've stayed at have either given a "goody" bag or coupons for being a rewards member. I was a little disappointed to receive nothing for a hotel in such a hot touristy spot. My room was nice if you looked out the back patio which was on the first floor by the putting green. It wasn't a bad room except that the noise from the street (which was about 10 yards away) was pretty loud at night. I had to leave the TV on so it didn't bother me. Another thing I found weird was that my room didn't get attended to the first night. It wasn't a big deal because I didn't "need" it to be but I've never had that happen. It was a decent sized room with everything you needed so it did the job. We used the spa our last night and ate at the Cafe there every night. The food was expensive for what you got but there wasn't many options around so that also did the job. It's about 4 miles from the convention center and airport. Is the location great? Not particularly. If you want to be downtown or in a specific area without having to drive, pay the difference to stay there. There's really not a whole lot around the hotel to eat or walk to but it wasn't terrible. The pool is nice but small and there are some outdoor activities which were nice. I wouldn't recommend staying here if you plan on using it as a resort obviously. It's a typical hotel with basic stuff that does the job.

Room Tip: Get a room that doesn't face the street
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear amanda42: Thank you so much for writing your comments regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Bayside. We appreciate feedback from our guests regardless of its nature. First and foremost please allow me to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. Clearly it is not unreasonable to expect a rooom accomodation to have been inspected by the housekeeping supervisor and I apologize that your room was not serviced. I am so sorry that you were not able to explore the area that well especially the Liberty Station which is a mixed-use development near the hotel that includes retail and commercial district, a promenade, residential and hotel district and a park/open space area along the boat channel. There are several dozens restaurants that offers a wide array of different cuisines. The Shelter Island area is another place that you can explore with a bunch of waterfront restaurants. We look forward to your travels bringing you back to San Diego in the near future and having you as our guest again at the Holiday Inn. Sincerely, Rhinna B Meyer - Rooms Division Manager
Talking Rock, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

We spent 5 weeks at this hotel and plan to come back next year and do it again! This place is truly a home away from home. The hotel must have super management, since every area of service from check-in, maid service, special request, restaurant, transportation were all outstanding! When we did experience a minor problem, the manager was prompt in addressing and correcting the situation. As of our stay, all rooms were being updated. We stayed in both the new and old building and found both to be very nice and comfortable.

Room Tip: The new addition is more up-to-date.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights. Hotel was really nice although a little dated. Perfect location to walk across to the marina where there were a few restaurants to chose from for dinner. There is a swimming pool / bar and snack shop on site. Pleasant stay and was perfect for the 2 nights we were there.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Rhinna M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego-Bayside, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Dear Lauren B: Thank you so much for posting your review about your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Bayside. I am happy that you enjoyed the amenities we offer and I'm glad you had a pleasant stay with us. I also want to inform you that we are currently renovating that includes changing of all the case goods in the room. We look forward to seeing you again during a future visit to San Diego. Sincerely, Rhinna B Meyer - Rooms Division Manager

Been to Holiday Inn San Diego-Bayside? Share your experiences!