“Not again” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #137 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Fincastle, Virginia
“Not again”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I travel for work and am in motels 120+- nights a year, I was not impressed at all with this property and will not be staying here on any of my future trips to San Diego.
Service was pitiful, from check in to check out. I should have known it was going to only get worse when one of our rooms just couldn't seem to make it to "ready to check in" status. We were told it would be a little longer multiple times. Finally one of us just cancelled and went to another motel. Any time I ask a question or had a request it seemed as though it was a imposition on my part by asking.
The rooms with a view that I paid an upgrade for were a joke, if you stood just right and looked to the correct area you were able to see past the Naval Barracks across the road and make out a small portion of the bay.
There was a lot of traffic noise also. The restaurant had a limited selection at best as far as breakfast food availability and what was there in my opinion was over priced and under sized.
Getting into and out of the parking lot is a pain, harbor drive and Nimitz Blvd do run right by it but you cant turn the way you need to go to get into town from either so you end up making U turns.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Rhinna M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego-Bayside, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Bill P: Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent visit to the Holiday Inn Bayside. Please accept my apologies for any inconveniences you experienced. I was disappointed to learn that your visit to our hotel had not met your expectations. Failure to deliver our usual high standards of hospitality, which we promise to each and every one of our guests, is unacceptable at any time. I have taken your comments about our restaurant and forwarded them to our Executive Chef and our Restaurant Manager for their review. With regards to the upgrade I am sorry that you were not happy with the view that you received. If I felt your experience was typical, I would agree we do not warrant a return visit. We would sincerely like another opportunity to win back your good faith in our hotel during a future visit to San Diego. Sincerely, Rhinna Meyer - Director of Guest Services

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We did a long weekend in San Diego and I scrubbed the website for good deals and places that have been reviewed well.

We checked in about 1/2 hour before the 4pm check-in time with no problems at all. The front desk staff was very courteous, the process was efficient, and I was in and out of there in no time. I was frazzled from the long drive to begin with, so this was a great start to our vacation.

We had reserved a "family" room with a bunk bed for the kids - we were apparently put in the older section of the hotel, but to spite what I had read about it being outdated and whatnot, I found the room to be quite pleasant. It was on the smaller side, with 4 of us in there, but we only needed a place to sleep in between the activities of our vacation. The kids LOVED the bunk beds and the fact that they got their own little area with a tv and a desk. I LOVED that they were separated from us by a partition.

The room was clean, smelled good, the beds were comfortable. What more could you ask for?

I want to especially point something out though, we had a problem with our room keys on the 2nd day. Had just gotten back from an extremely long, exausting day at the zoo to find out that both of our room keys weren't working for some reason. Had to drag the kids all the way from our building to the front desk at the other side of the hotel to remedy the problem. The staff was SO helpful. Replaced our keys quickly, and sent a maintenance person back to the room with us just to make sure we could get in okay. They even drove us back to the room on their golf cart, which was just that extra added touch that tipped it over the top for me. Such excellent customer service, and that little thing meant so much to us at that particular time.

I would DEFINITELY stay here again.

One last thing - kids under 12 eat free at the restaurant, which is good. The restaurant is fine - average food, friendly staff, but slooooow service. Don't go there if you want to grab a "quick bite to eat" - especially at breakfast.

Room Tip: Rooms that are not poolside are quieter - there was a wedding reception going on in the pool area wh...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
glen ellyn
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have no complaints about this place, other than the breakfast service in the restaurant was slow. The rooms are what one would expect from a Holiday Inn, and the staff were nice and tried to be helpful. The pool and bar were both fine, again what one would expect. The location is decent, and we did get free shuttle service to the airport (which saved us about $20 as the San Diego taxis are outrageously priced).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Rhinna M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego-Bayside, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear mudffot: Thank you so much for writing your review regarding your recent visit to Holiday Inn San Diego Bayside. I am so sorry that you find the breakfast service in our restaurant slow, please consider your experience an exception to our normally good service standards. Thank you again for taking the time to share your feelings with us. I am happy that you were able to take advantage of our free shuttle service to the airport. Your return visit would mean a great deal to us, and we hope to see you soon. Sincerely, Rhinna Meyer - Director of Guest Services
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed in the Holiday Inn, Bayside this weekend and while it is a nice hotel I had a terrible experience. It was the hottest weekend in San Diego (as it typically is during Labor Day) and of course their air conditioner was broken in my room, which made for a miserable night. While they did provide a fan I would have liked to have been notified before I checked in so I could have made other arrangements. At the very least I feel I should have gotten a reduction in the rate, which wasn't offered. We called the next night and were moved to a room with a working air conditioner, but it was annoying having to switch rooms. We called for a roll away bed at noon on Sunday afternoon and when we got back to our room it wasn't there, called again at 8pm and again at 10pm and it finally arrived. There is not nearly enough parking for the number of rooms they have. While they do offer reimbursement if you have to park in the public lot that parking lot was a little sketchy looking. I do not think I'd stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear aferna9: Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Bayside. We appreciate feedback from our guests regardless of its nature. First and foremost, please allow me to apologize for any inconveniences you experienced during your stay and the a/c being broken. Indeed good maintenance is a standard expectation for our hotel, and I'm sorry your experience has been otherwise. It appears that our usual attention to detail was lacking in this circumstance, as we do a much better job of taking care of our guests. Please rest assured that the matter has been addresses so that this type of occurence does not happen in the future. I know that this cannot make up for the negative impression you may have of our hotel. But I hope that you will give us another opportunity to provide you with the style of service and accomodations I wish you had received in the first place. Sincerely, Rhinna Meyer - Director of Guest Services
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Great costumer service as we checked in, the front desk clerk ( Jessie i think his name was) was great and made us feel welcomed in every way. The rooms are great, brand new and very very clean made it for a wonderful stay were we got great rest. Great housekeeping and just great customer service all around the entire hotel including the bar. I would highly recommend this place for everyone including families.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Spent 3 nights while attending a US Navy reunion. Check-in was a bit slow but employee nice, professional and apoligetic.The new front lobby building is an outside walk from the hotel tower as it appears they have combined 3 diffferent hotel properties into one. Room was in the far tower on the 4th floor. Very little/no street or airport noise. Room clean and spacious. Only minor complaint was that room was not serviced daily until late in the afternoon and the elevators were slow. Newer TV with HD channels. Meeting rooms were comfortable and in same tower. Looked at the pool, it seemed nice and they had outdoor billard and ping-pong tables nearby. Did not eat at the onsite resturant, and there was many food options nearby. Navy Exchange/ gas station across the street for those with proper military ID's.

Room Tip: High floor room in largest back tower. Middle two story tower had rooms with direct ouside access, w...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

The PROs: Location is great. Price was great. It was clean.

Cons: thermostat made the room either really hot or freezing. Set the TV to sleep and it never happened. Had to turn it off in the middle of the night. One of the lights didn't work. Overall it felt a little run-down in the rooms.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Rhinna M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego-Bayside, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear David_Justin: Thank you so much for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Bayside. First and foremost, please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience or frustration you experienced during your stay. I truly understand your aggravation dealing with the thermostat and the TV not working properly. I would like to tell you that we would be undergoing renovation to include replacement of all case goods. We expect completion by early next year. I truly hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel so that we can provide you with the style of service and accomodations I wish you had received in the first place. Once again, thank you for taking the time to let us know of your experience. Sincerely, Rhinna Meyer - Director of Guest Services

Been to Holiday Inn San Diego-Bayside? Share your experiences!