My little Family and I stayed at this particular San Diego Holiday Inn during a weekend getaway this past weekend (August 9-11th) based on location. It is located a few miles from downtown San Diego, a few miles from the beach, a few miles from the freeway, a few miles from Cabrillo National Monument and most important there are some great restaurants in close proximity.
From Interstate 8 to the hotel it can be a bit intimidating with all the traffic especially at night when we arrived but it is manageable if you study your route a head of time. Arriving at the hotel I found temporary parking for check in to be a hassle because there was no designated area for check in and it can get pretty crowded outside the lobby; luckily there were some open parking spaces around the corner. Speaking of lobby, the lobby is located in the new tower; it is very nice, clean, and up to date. The front desk person was very polite and welcoming even after being swamped with a rush of people all at once.
Our room was in the old tower, it was night and day compared to the new tower where the hotel lobby is at. It looked like it had seen better days being a little outdated. Parking is very limited especially if you check in late. Inside the old tower there are two elevators but only one went to levels 1-4 the other is for level 5 and meeting rooms. The elevator is very small and when it gets busy it’s faster to take the stairs. We stayed in the 2 Queen room. It was smaller than expected and felt a little cramped. The bathroom vanity area is small but functional. The bathtub/toilet room has a little more room. The towel rack inside the bathtub surround was bit strange, but the shower did not soak the towels. In general the room was quiet and served its purpose. Having a fridge in the room helped a lot. One thing I wish the room had is ability to open the window because it can get a bit stuffy in there. I needed to print some tickets from a computer and was able to at the business center, the only problem was the business center, at least one I could find, is in the lobby way across the property from the old tower.
After traveling with a crying baby on board and navigating through traffic I wanted to relax with drink at the bar before bed so I went to the lounge just to find it closed for a private party! Luckily the café was next to the lounge so my journey was not a waste and I was able to pick up food to go. By the way the food at the café is excellent!
This Holiday Inn is good place to stay if you are planning to explore the city and surrounding areas. The cost of the room where we stayed may be a little overpriced for the quality of the room. We would definitely stay here again but will stay in the newer tower or poolside rooms.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn San Diego-Bayside Hotel
- Holiday Inn San Diego-Bayside Hotel San Diego
- Holiday Inn San Diego Bayside
- Holiday Inn San Diego
- San Diego Holiday Inn
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fronting beautiful San Diego Bay, the Holiday Inn Bayside is located in the newly redeveloped Point Loma area, in walking distance of over a dozen restaurants, sport fishing & whale watching marina, scenic walking paths along the San Diego Bay, and Liberty Station. It is conveniently located only one mile from the San Diego Airport and four miles to the Gaslamp Quarter and Convention Center. Our bay view meeting rooms and outdoor tropical courtyard venues provide the ideal setting for your next meeting in San Diego, along with a service culture that guarantees your event to be a big success.Visit Sea World San Diego, only 5 minutes away; San Diego Zoo, Seaport Village & Old Town are ten minutes away. Liberty Station Conference Center and NTC Promenade are within two miles. The San Diego Convention Center is a convenient 5 mile drive along the San Diego Bay. The Holiday Inn San Diego Bayside is near many sporting events in San Diego, including: Charity Cup; Pegasus Cup; Hotspurs Cup; Red Bull Air Races; San Diego Padres, & San Diego Chargers. In San Diego on business? We are close to: Northrop Grumman; Lockheed Martin; General Dynamics; SPAWAR; Point Loma Naval Base; ASW; Admiral Kidd Club; 32nd St Naval Station; FITCPAC; BAE; Boeing; ComNavBase; L-3 Communications; MCRD & Sheraton Harbor Island. Located 3 miles from the San Diego Cruise Terminal, we offer packages with long-term parking & complimentary transportation to the San Diego Cruise Ship Terminal. The Cruise Terminal services the following cruise lines: Royal Caribbean; Princess; Carnival; Celebrity; Holland America; & Norwegian. We look forward to being your home away from home when you visit San Diego. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, IHG, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Expedia, Otel, Hotels.com and Venere so you can book your Holiday Inn San Diego-Bayside reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.