“Nice, quiet hotel in a pretty area but a bit dated” 4 of 5 stars

Special Deal
$25 Resort Credit
Ranked #33 of 272 Hotels in San Diego
Malibu, California
“Nice, quiet hotel in a pretty area but a bit dated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

The hotel consists of a main building with the restaurants and lobby and numerous separate buildings that contain the guest rooms. I stayed in the Valencia building on the second floor. The main bed area was very nice with stylish bedding, a decent size flat screen TV and a small balcony that had two chairs and a small table. The one negative was that the bathroom was basic with bland colors and dated fixtures. As other guests have noted, there are no elevators, so I had a bellman bring my bags since I didn't want to lug them up the stairs. The room was very quiet and had a bit of a view with trees and a glimpse of hills in the distance. The property has many trees and shrubs around the buildings. I found the staff to be extremely nice and very helpful. For example, when I asked directions to a meeting room from a random staff member I saw on the path, she didn't merely point or instruct - but led me directly to where I needed to go. They have three pools, one is for spa guests only (the nicest one they show in all the pictures), one is a family pool and one is for adults. I used the adult pool which was adequate but clearly could use some updating and upgrading. There was a very small spa pool in the same area (also in need of renovation). The fitness center was near the spa which is a bit of a walk (downhill to and uphill on the return) from most of the rooms. It's a decent size with the usual machines which were pretty new and in good condition. They were out of clean towels at the gym, so I called and they brought more about 15 minutes after my call, but they really should check more often and replenish during the morning workout rush. I did eat one meal at Avant which was very good, one breakfast at Veranda and a buffet lunch and dinner (catered for our meeting) which were good. At the buffet, they had selection of desserts (all of which contained flour), so I asked if they had anything gluten free and they brought me some ice cream and strawberries which I appreciated. I was there on a business trip, so there was no time to use the spa and I don't golf - so I can't comment on those features. The hotel seems to be popular for business meetings and there were several going on when I was there. Overall, not five star, but a nice hotel - I would give the resort an excellent rating if it wasn't for some of the dated features.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view. The second floor has higher (vaulted ceilings) but there is no elevator...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
Carlsbad, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Took my husband to RBI for a birthday surprise weekend. We don't live to far away - but far enough to make us feel like we were transported into a wonderful mission like world. The upgrades to the hotel are very nice. The rooms (and bathrooms) are still dated - but we didn't mind. They need to put new carpets in the common areas - very dirty. But walking around the resort and laying by the adult pool was wonderful. We added the breakfast package to our stay and each morning was very nice sitting outside and seeing the beautiful golf course. I would recommend this hotel to friends. The worst part of our stay was dinner at Avant. We waited over 45 min to get a cocktail.. but they did end up purchasing our drinks and app to say sorry. Poor waitress she was so sorry all night and it ended up a funny moment - and a very very long dinner.. they needed more staff!

Room Tip: If you can do the upgrade ask for a room that over looks the golf course.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We had some work done at our home that required us to be out for 4 nights so on the advice of my husband we booked a room at the RB Inn. My husband regularly golfs at the accompanying golf course and had heard good things about the Inn. First I will say that the RB Inn is fairly centrally located which made for a nice family stay-cation. We did one day at LegoLand and one day at the Wild Animal Park and both were just a short drive from the hotel.

There are different parts of the property that are very green, picturesque, and quaint. On the other hand there are many parts of the property that look outdated and in need of some TLC.
As for the staff I will say that the valet and front door staff tended to be friendly and welcoming. The front desk staff on the other hand were far from friendly and on each occasion that I had to speak to someone I would say that they almost bordered on rude.

As for our room (153..take note and avoid it at all cost), it was located directly above the laundry. We had washers and dryers that operated from the early morning until 10PM for all four days of our stay. The vibration in the room was horrible. When you sat in a chair, it vibrated. The walls vibrated as well and the noise was terribly annoying. I called the front desk and was pretty much out of luck....I was told the laundry operated until 10PM and the noise is something we would have to deal with. The air conditioning in our room also didn't operate well and it never really cooled down enough to where you weren't hot all night. I am not sure if this was an AC problem or the heat coming from the laundry below. Either way it was pretty miserable. We would have requested a different room but supposedly the property was sold out.

As for a positive note, the room itself did come appointed with Aveda toiletries, nice spa towels and comfy spa robes. We also had a little fridge and coffee maker...sad to say but these were my only bright spots. We did have a cute little patio as well that offered private access to the pool and jacuzzi area. Speaking of the jacuzzi, we did sit in it on one occasion and unfortunately the jets weren't functioning properly.

The two nights we ate on property we ate in the bar and the food was good and the service was fairly quick as well. They do have a new restaurant on the property but we weren't able to be seated until after 8:30 on the evenings we tried to get reservations. I would suggest booking ahead if you plan on visiting this restaurant on a Friday or Saturday night.

As I mentioned the hotel could use some updating. I included a picture of the shower/tub combo in our room that had a big hole where the old fixture probably should have been grouted. I think I expected more from this property.

To end, I am not sure why when you are given a room that has issues such as ours with the noise and heat coming off the laundry room below, you aren't given some sort of disclosure before hand. When I called the front desk the first time to ask about the laundry below, the attendant started to say "it closes at 10PM" before I even totally got out why I was calling. This tells me that we aren't the first patrons who have had an issue in this room. I guess it is a lesson learned and I will have to ask more questions about room location up front during the check in process.

Not sure I would really recommend the RB Inn based on our stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Beverly Hills, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

My sisters and mother and I stayed at the Rancho Bernardo Inn for a 4 day/3 night weekend. We had a great time, very relaxing, gorgeous grounds. We especially enjoyed a spa day with massages and facials, followed by an afternoon at the spa pool. The service and lunch was great. Patricia for the massage was wonderful. Great walking in the neighborhood.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Our two night stay was quiet, cozy and charming. Fun touches like out of the way fireplaces and hot tubs. Be aware there are LOTS of paths, stairs and hikes to get to locations so if you have any issues with long walks and stairs let them know when you make the reservation. The hotel staff is friendly but just not 100% pro active.. front desk and valet just were going through the motions.. smiling and nice but not proactive. In talking to other guests they said the same thing.. it was GOOD service.. just not GREAT service in comparisons to the surroundings.

Spa was lovely.. I would suggest the spa amenities should include a SPF 30 available at the pool. The locker room is VERY small and was crowded with only 6 other women using it at once. Also there is no attendants in or near the lockers for getting larger robes etc...

Room Tip: Keep in mind some rooms are a hike to restaurants/lobby so be sure to note when making reservation a...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Service is not very consistent and instructions need to be clearer. For example, how to order lunch at the pool through the spa package. No one came over to the pool area to ask what we wanted, or take drink orders. We finally ordered drinks after figuring out that the pool bar is at the far end, but we had to get up again to pick up the drinks. The vibe at the pool was just odd. It's too bad that I will not be returning even though the grounds are beautiful and the spa service was excellent.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

I come to San Diego every 3 months and have recently chosen the Rancho Bernardo Inn for my stay. It has excellent services, great views and grounds and a choice of places to eat. The new Avante restaurant is a must. Very relaxing and you don't have to play golf to enjoy this place.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Been to Rancho Bernardo Inn? Share your experiences!